Which tools?

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
These look to be a tool made by a UK company Maun in Sutton-in-Ashfield.

Some years ago I tried to purchase a pair of cable tie pliers from RS, but for whatever reason they were not available from RS. Spoke to them and they gave me the manufacturers details, which turned out to be Maun.

Unfortunately after speaking to Maun they told me that the product was manufactured exclusively for RS so they couldn't sell me a pair direct. I did eventually get a pair and they are still going strong some 20 or more years after I got them.

http://www.maun-industries.co.uk/

Dave

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Expecting a rather large box from Squires tomorrow.... was due to collect at Spalding but illness but an end to that, then Squires held delivery back to get a few out of stock items into this delivery. Tomorrow is the first day I could get to accept delivery from Fedex... First order has to be delivered to home address.

Cannot wait

Just the rivet press to sort now.

Dave

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Before I say anything else this is not a bashing of the supplier mentioned, this was my first order & and I didn't know what to expect.

Received my parcel yesterday (Friday) little disappointed that one page one of my order has not been processed. Also quite a number of prices are different from those listed in the catalogue which I recently downloaded (October 13) from the website. One item in particular has gone from £40 to £50 without anyone asking if that was OK! I could have got the item cheaper at an alternative supplier but placed everything with Squires as they had everything I wanted.

Maybe I am so used to using online catalogues where 99% of the time you know at the time of ordering if an item is available, also the costs etc.

My main annoyance is that I didn't receive two critical items as they were on page two of my order! Engineers squares & pliers! The needle files I ordered are no longer available. So modelling will have to wait even longer!

I will take this up with Squires on Monday, but does anyone know if they issue supplemental price lists? So I know what I am actually going to pay, also if items have been discontinued so I can choose an alternative.

Dave

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Should point out that I ame very keen to stop talking & get on with modelling.

As I am starting from nothing I need to get quite a lot of kit together.

Shame their isn't a one stop shop or someone who does a basic starter (tool) kit with a choice of soldering irons.

Dave

adrian

Flying Squad
I will take this up with Squires on Monday, but does anyone know if they issue supplemental price lists? So I know what I am actually going to pay, also if items have been discontinued so I can choose an alternative.

I know it doesn't help you now but for future reference I use RDG Tools for most of my tools. It's an online catalogue so you know exactly what you are paying before placing the order. For example a selection of squares.

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=square&PN=Square_Section.html#a134743242q

As I am starting from nothing I need to get quite a lot of kit together.

To be honest you don't need a lot of stuff to get going. When I first moved away from home I made my Y10 scratchbuilt loco with just a few hand tools and a Black and Decker Workmate. Scriber, square, odd-leg calipers and steel rule for marking out. A piercing saw and few files for cutting out then a pin chuck a few small drills and a soldering iron.

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
I agree Adrian, I think maybe I have tried to acquire almost everything I could possibly need rather than getting just the basics and adding to it as required. Mrs Steady will also tell me the same when the bank statement arrives!

Thanks for the suggesting RDG Tools.

Dave

adrian

Flying Squad
Whilst Eileens is great for a one stop shop but to be honest I've never found them to be best value for money. I'm usually a great believer in you get what you pay for, but Eileens does seem to put a greater markup on things than other places.

For example
4" engineers square Eileens £11 - RDG Tools £6-50
15 thou nickel sheet Eileens 24"x6" £12 Metalsmiths 12"x12" £8.80

Personally I tend to go for tools from RDG and material from Metalsmiths.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
What Adrian says is very much as I find things - where Eileen's Emp wins is in the width of individual ranges, such as metal strip and packs of the common-use wire.

I understand that your concern is with an order placed on Squire's Tools and the outcome is not what I have experienced when purchasing from that company over a period of ten years or so. I order by calling the company... almost the first thing that is asked after giving my customer reference is "what catalogue are you using?". When I state a product code the person to whom I am speaking then gives the product description and states the price so there are no surprises in that department. When I have completed giving the order details then Squires provides the total price. I ask for confirmation of stock availability and for expected dispatch date.

Occasionally I have been able to buy elsewhere at a cheaper price than offered in the Squire's catalogue - I return to Squires because I can generally get all I want from that company and the concept of "one call, one order, one parcel" appeals to me.

I suggest that you call the company and express your concerns about the manner in which the order was handled.

regards, Graham

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
What Graham says pretty much sums up my experience with Squires. Where they do let down is delivery timing. I had to chase up my last order, after nearly three weeks. To Squires' credit, I got a call back with apologies after the lady I spoke to went to investigate. The stuff arrived next day.

I understand there is some investment and recruiting going on to improve the warehouse and shipping side of the business.

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Graham, I understand what you are saying about checking line by line etc, unfortunately I emailed my order to Squires then later phoned them with my card details. Phoning from work and going through 30+ line items isn't feasible. The lady I spoke to said some items were out of stock but would follow later, in the end I think the held the entire order until everything which is available was sent.

I have learnt a lesson, check everything,

The items I received were exactly as described so no problem with that.

Dave

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Chap from Squires rang me today, after a lengthy conversation I now understand why the last published catalogue is so out of date. Sounds like improvement are in the pipeline.

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
I need some cutters for cutting piano wire, I bought some Lindstrom cutters for dealing with softer wire & removing etches etc but I don't want to wreck them trying to cut hard wire. What recommendations do people have?

Dave

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Just a quick update regarding Squires, they are now going to re-open their old shop so improvements are happening. It has come as a surprise as I think the main reason they moved out of the shop in the first place was due to high business rates, maybe the landlord has had a re-think after the property has remained empty since they closed :rolleyes:.

Martyn.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
I need some cutters for cutting piano wire, I bought some Lindstrom cutters for dealing with softer wire & removing etches etc but I don't want to wreck them trying to cut hard wire. What recommendations do people have?

When in the same situation, I spoke to the chap at Eileens Emporium and explained what I wanted. He suggested some box joint side cutters that were branded Eileens and so far they have proved to be robust to all kinds of wire including piano wire. I have just been to look at their site to find a link but unfortunately there are no photos or items under their own brand for pliers and cutters so I can't help any further.
Steve

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
When in the same situation, I spoke to the chap at Eileens Emporium and explained what I wanted. He suggested some box joint side cutters that were branded Eileens and so far they have proved to be robust to all kinds of wire including piano wire. I have just been to look at their site to find a link but unfortunately there are no photos or items under their own brand for pliers and cutters so I can't help any further.
Steve

I will see what other responses I get before approaching Eileens, although they do have a set of vernier callipers I need.

Dave

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Just a quick update regarding Squires, they are now going to re-open their old shop so improvements are happening. It has come as a surprise as I think the main reason they moved out of the shop in the first place was due to high business rates, maybe the landlord has had a re-think after the property has remained empty since they closed :rolleyes:.

Martyn.

Possibly another landlord or local authority overcharging & loosing out on continuos occupation.

Don't suppose you have heard anything about the catalogue being updated?

Dave

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Possibly another landlord or local authority overcharging & loosing out on continuos occupation.

Don't suppose you have heard anything about the catalogue being updated?

Dave

The chap at the show said they are still haggling on a good price at the printers, and knowing the size of their catalogues I should think that is quite a substantial outlay.

Martyn.