Western Region O, OO and N Gauge Modelling

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
WESTERN REGION AND O GAUGE MODELLING

Yes, Howes do advertise Heljan spares. I personally hav'nt bought any but they seem to always be in stock :thumbs:
Rob :wave:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer

Really, well thats changed from the last time i had a look at Howes site :headbang: They always seem'd to be a good supplier. Just goes to see how wrong you can be. Thanks for pointing that out Phill,Howes are'nt what they used to be then. And its made my comment look stupid :oops:

westernfan

Western Thunderer

thanks to you both for your input i might try heljan dk as i need a cog as well as some sprues . i may get some where with heljan if i bitch about the split cogs and the loud fan motor :rolleyes:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

lancer1027 said:
Really, well thats changed from the last time i had a look at Howes site :headbang: They always seem'd to be a good supplier. Just goes to see how wrong you can be.
Howes are supposed to be the "official" UK Heljan dealers, though. It might be worth a call or email to them to see if they have anything not advertsied on the website; I've done that to get the Heljan Screw-link couplers, which aren't listed on-line. If they have the items, then their service is second to none.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

I agree with Jordan's comment re service, especially as they don't charge for 'broken' replacements. :thumbs:

regards

Mike

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

:scratch: I would have thought the lack of spares is down to Heljan not Howes .

Phill :wave:

westernfan

Western Thunderer
cantonlocos2.jpg WESTERN REGION AND O GAUGE MODELLING

cme wrote i had a 37 on order (I know it isnt quite WR - a 'visitor' if you will),

Hi CME thanks for the compliments about my layout Dan y Graig Junction . Re class 37s the W R had lots of tractors (class 37 ) one of my fav workings with class 37s was the triple headed heavy steel run from bsc port talbot to bsc llanwern they also ran most of the coal trains in s wales. towards their end of service in s wales a 37 was on regular runs on the valley lines with a rake of 4 mk 2 coaches . I want a heljan 37 but in green thats my next loco on my wish list . Re heljan spares i emailed howes and the reply was positive see their reply below

" These are not currently available as spares but we may have a model we can 'rob' for you. Unfortunately the person who does this work is on holiday until June 3rd. We will bring this to his attention when he returns.
Regards,
Howes Models"

so fingers crossed

Chris westernfan :wave:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

CME & Bottlewasher said:
At a show I saw a Heljan 37 - .... had been modified to the single/central headcode version, not sure how, yet it looked good.
That's the version I'd want, still with buffer-beam 'skirts' too. If Heljan are to ever re-run the 37, the least they could do is a different version to split-boxes... ;)

westernfan

Western Thunderer

Jordan said:
[quote=""CME & Bottlewasher"":1a6ws9qt] At a show I saw a Heljan 37 - .... had been modified to the single/central headcode version, not sure how, yet it looked good.
That's the version I'd want, still with buffer-beam 'skirts' too. If Heljan are to ever re-run the 37, the least they could do is a different version to split-boxes... ;)[/quote:1a6ws9qt]

i wouldnt want this version :eek:
Class 37 loco 37069 (formerly Thornaby TMD) is reported to be haunted. The supposed manifestation is that of a driver who was killed when an object smashed through the window hitting him on the head killing him instantly. This incident is reported to have occurred whilst under the pre-TOPS identity of D6769. Reported incidents include the horn going off unexpectedly, the fire bottles discharging of their own accord and an unexplained feeling of not being alone in the cab. An apparition of the driver has been reported in the driving position.[12] The loco is in current operation under DRS.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

westernfan said:
i wouldnt want this version :eek:
Class 37 loco 37069 (formerly Thornaby TMD) is reported to be haunted.
So don't model 37069, then... :rolleyes: :D

There was once a thread on RMweb about Railway Ghosts. I posted a picture taken at night of a Soo Line F-Unit, and claimed it showed the ghost of an Engineer, killed in an accident, in the driver's window.
Wasn't too long before people posted saying they couldn't see anything there... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

westernfan

Western Thunderer

i cam across the paranormal 37 whilst looking up class 37s on wikipeadia. and just thought it would be of interest . my fav railway ghost story must be charles dickins the signal man i passed my english lit o level many moons ago thanks to the exam question to summarise the short story .anyway back to the topic of 37s, also on wikipeadia there is a section about swindon back in 66 trying to upgrade ee type 3s to run 100 mph trains , somthing else that i wasnt aware of

cheers chris westernfan :wave:

westernfan

Western Thunderer

Its been a few months since i dismantled my o gauge model set up and started building an oo gauge layout . The theme is br western region steam diesel transition period Below are some images of the layout so far its very much work in progress . Behind the coal mine scene is a 5 road fiddle yard im still undecided on weather to model a milk discharge facility on the bay platform or move it to the sidings or to model the sidings in use or overgrown and disused ,or to model dmu pens :headbang:

Attachments

• 20a.JPG
    568.6 KB · Views: 11
  • P1010082.JPG
    673.3 KB · Views: 6

Pugsley

Western Thunderer

CME & Bottlewasher said:
Didnt a 'medium' predict some of this happening and kept trying to get in touch with BR so as to warn them - I have it in a book somewhere (now I am doubting myself and thinking that it was a 47?)
It was a 47, 47216 was renumbered as 47299 after a medium contacted BR after they had a vision of it being involved in a fatal accident.  The loco was renumbered, but was still involved in a crash at Wrawby Junction in 1983.

There's some more info about the whole saga here:
http://www.angelfire.com/mn2/Oubliette/47299.html

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

westernfan said:
Its been a few months since i dismantled my o gauge model set up and started building  an oo gauge layout . The theme is br western region steam diesel transition period  Below  are some images of the layout so far its very much work in progress  . Behind the coal mine scene is a 5 road fiddle yard im still undecided on weather to model a milk discharge facility on the bay platform or move it to the sidings or to model the sidings in use or overgrown and disused ,or to model dmu pens  :headbang:
I really like the area around the mine  8) :thumbs:

westernfan

Western Thunderer

The mine diorama is still work in progress . the layout is split into two scenes i want to create a western region secondary line in decline with a small junction station. and the other is the coalmine . i also want to create a sub shed scene, this is what im building now,it has fitted in very well with the mine. i have made some coaling .and fueling facilities ., these i have made as modules so that i can change the period from steam to diesel in no time at all as i want to run some modern stuff as well in time . I will post some images of the  loco shed and the bridge scene so far .

I must admit that taking my O gauge Hymek out to photogragh those severn mill numbers the other day made me lament the demise of my O gauge layout .But never mind its all packed away for future reference, or even sell it all and live outside and go for a garden railway with a gauge one class 22 kit ,B set, 14xx ,auto trailer,and some wagons, I dream on ahhhhhhh .

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

westernfan said:
I must admit that taking my O gauge Hymek out to photogragh those severn mill numbers the other day made me lament the demise of my O gauge layout .But never mind its all packed away for future reference, or even sell it all and live outside and go for a garden railway with a gauge one class 22 kit ,B set, 14xx ,auto trailer,and some wagons, I dream on ahhhhhhh .

You could always move outdoors with your O gauge stuff Chris & make that dream a lot easier to realise  :thumbs:,
The thing I like about how you have set out the mine is it looks to me like an instantly recognisable railway scene, but yet it looks unique in  a modelling sense  8) :bowdown: :thumbs:

Phill  :wave:

westernfan

Western Thunderer

Phill Dyson said:
You could always move outdoors with your O gauge stuff Chris & make that dream a lot easier to realise  :thumbs:,
The thing I like about how you have set out the mine is it looks to me like an instantly recognisable railway scene, but yet it looks unique in  a modelling sense  8) :bowdown: :thumbs:

Phill  :wave:

Thanks for the positve comments Phill . re my o gauge I still have my Hymek Class 121 57xx and my 14xx and auto trailer plus a good sized rake of wagons and all of the track not to mention all those white metal figure etc Dan Y Graig Junction was my first attempt in 7mm modelling and thus a sharp learning curve i now realise when looking back at images of it that i crammed too much into the layout it needed breathing space , as wise mans says less is more especially on a restricted space 7mm scale layout . still with my oo setup i can sit down in the well and watch trains go round :-[

westernfan

Western Thunderer

I had a bit of fun trying to make some 4mm scale buildings my first attempt resembled tt 3mm scale , which wouldnt be so bad if i still had my tt set up . it all seems so small after making my 7mm scale efforts. but ive managed to build the bridge over scenic break and sub shed . still lots more to do  :scratch:

Attachments

• P1010034.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
  • P1010107.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 5

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Hi Chris,

You are making very good use of the space available & very good it looks too  :bowdown:  8) 8) 8)

Phill  :thumbs: