4mm West Dorset lost line

LarryG

Western Thunderer
My grandfather in Southampton had a garage rather like that at the bottom of his garden in Woolston which sheltered his beloved Vauxhall Velox. It was made from sections of former Anderson shelters extended with corrugated iron sheets. Another remnant of WW2 at my grandparents house was the old gasmask hanging on a nail in the 'coal hole'. It fascinated me as a kid but I was never brave enough to go in there and look at it closely!

Gerry
My maternal grans husband still had his gas mask. It used to make funny (rude) noises as we breathed in and out. When I did two weeks work in a friends cotton mill, which by 1961 was a waste paper mill, a room on the top floor was chock full of wartime gas masks. They would certainly have helped burn the mill down, which occured a few weeks after I left.

MarkR

Western Thunderer
In June 1958, M7, 30107, headed a special over the Maiden Newton to Bridport Branch, going right down to West Bay, the only Southern loco to run on the branch.
Mark

stevehowe

I have just found your thread and am fascinated to see that your scheme for a 'lost' railway almost mirrors the concept for our club P4 layout 'Watermouth' I think its original Builder, the late Pat English, was inspired by Weymouth in placing his terminus on the south Devon/Dorset coast. More on Watermouth here: http://scalefournorth.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Watermouth.pdf

Will be following with interest!

Steve

Steve Howe
Chair, Helston & Falmouth MRC

Attachments

• The location of watermouth in relation to other railways in the area - real and imagined!.jpg
    The location of watermouth in relation to other railways in the area - real and imagined!.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 9

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
The filling station is one of just two Burmah establishments in the UK. It is located at West Wellow on the A36 just before the intersection with the M27 west of Southampton.

The owner does not appreciate any enquiries about his premises nor does he allow photographs to be taken but he does sell coal……a local character.

Tim
I thought so - we used to travel that way to the Beaulieu Autojumble! A fascinating looking place, a throwback to the 1950s I always thought!

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
A perfect scheme, I'd say, and the trackplan is ideal for a small country terminus. The station building is delightful, by the way!

Looking forward to this project's progress.

Mark

MarkR

Western Thunderer
The picture of Beaminster shows that it has hardly changed at all, other than the number of cars!
Mark

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Tim
The shop used to sell clotted cream, cheese and dried milk sticks direct from the factory, unfortunately access was across a busy yard and modern safety regs. meant that it had to close to the public.
I didn't know they had a sales counter, we used to have a plough-mans at lunch time in the pub across the road most days! Obviously paid too much!
Mark

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Accumulating bits for the milk factory continues, most of the bits are from Fair Price Models (thanks to a prod in the right direction from Neil Rushby) and having enjoyed building the laser cut cricket pavilion, it seemed like a good idea.

The boiler house promises to be rather interesting, the July ‘22 Hornby mag published a very informative blow by blow account with pictures (all pics and text downloaded) on the build of this quaint structure. It will be fun……

Boiler_House_Kit_6a.jpg
I'll be watching this closely as I've been thinking of getting one of those! The chimney, too.

Mark

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Wow! Fast work indeed! Sad to see all that effort gone, but the result is a blank canvas and a sound base for the new layout.

Onward and upward!

Cheers,
Mark

JimG

Western Thunderer
After a couple of unpleasant encounters trying to sell the books, I prefer to have no further dealings with some of the railway fraternity and the recycling collection is on Monday.

Donate them to a local charity shop so that they can possibly make some money from them.

Jim.