Warley 2013

PMP

Western Thunderer
Halitosis, rucksacks, BO and no manners.

However that's enough about me, Warley's next weekend and it'll be the last show for Albion Yard

Come and say hello if you're passing.

IMG_1815.JPG

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Halitosis, rucksacks, BO and no manners.
However that's enough about me...
With an invitation like that Paul, who could resist...standing at the other end of the layout though :p

Looking forward to hopefully getting more than a couple of minutes in front of it as opposed to the quick break I got at at Larkrail. Albion Yard, Corris (Peter Kazer) plus Portchullin (Mr Tatlow) have tempted me for a 'first time as a punter' visit on Saturday - should be fun...
Steve
PS - Sorry Mike, missed your post - will pop by and say hello again :)

PMP

Western Thunderer
standing at the other end of the layout though :p

Make sure you have a look from the left hand end, (coincidentally the opposite end from where I'll be), you'll see the 'long view' a unique way of hiding the fiddle yard and getting more visible space!

Decapod

The Scalefour Society will be there: Stand B56

The start of the show is also the begining of our new recruitment year - new members joining at Warley will get 15 months for the price of 12. Come and visit our stand and have a chat with our team: Paul Willis, Mike Ainsworth, Ron Hartshorn, David Brandreth and me, Danny Cockling.

P4 Layouts this year are: Mike Gosling's 'Aldbury Town'; Mark Tatlow's 'Porthcullin'; and Robin Gay's 'Rolvendon'

http://www.scalefour.org

PMP

Western Thunderer
15 for 12 may actually get me interested, never been a member before, when I was playing with P4 in the 80's we used to get everything we needed from work, MRM or Kings Cross Models as it was know!

Simon

Flying Squad
Terrific show, great to see PMP and Albion Yard and lots and lots of other friends too and of course all the exhibits.

The stand out thing to me was probably the Dutch perspective model B. A. Bodil - very clever indeed.

How the Warley club manage it I don't know, the scale of the whole thing is absolutely terrifying:bowdown:

Simon

Bob

Western Thunderer
Thanks for posting that link Simon. Despite being there all weekend I only managed to get some hand-held footage of B. A. Bodil 20 mins before the show closed, very clever as you say.
I didn't get to see all the exhibits as I was doing a demo table but targetted certain traders and layouts as "must see's".
Fremo:87 was one, having read so much about the group and their activities beforehand I just had to see it and was given a close-up look within the barriers. I love the idea of modular layouts but so often the concept results in inconsistant "iffy" modelling and operation....not in this case. A great bunch of people.

I never get tired of seeing Aldbury Town (P4), a very simple minimum space layout but beautifully executed and always an inspiration.

Loved Worcester South Quay in 7mm :drool: and a 3mm version of something along those lines is a virtual certainty for the 3mm Society 50th Anniversary challenge for 2015.

Will post some photos later........need another coffee first.

Bob.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Simon,
than you for the link. I only managed a very brief look at the layout but for me it was the layout of the show. It just put a smile on my face and video has just repeated the experience.
A layout that you just switch on and leave to itself for the rest of the day while you talk, drink coffee, eat cake, read the papers, drink beer, talk, .......ZZZZ! Heaven:)

Simon T

D6356

Western Thunderer
Hi Gang,
Glad you enjoyed the show, by 2030 on Sunday the 12"to the foot exhibits out of hall, and the Warley club artic had departed full with the 1001 things needed to make a show. It is a big job to run - only 15 volunteer organsiers and on the weekend another 60 or so members and friends from other clubs turn out to run the monster!
Being in hall 05.00 Friday to mark out to 2030 Sunday does make for a long weekend but all the smiles and comments make it very worthwhile. This was the 21 st Show at NEC and 46th club show so hopefully we are getting to know how to run it!
Robert

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Well, that was an epic day :)
I saw lots and lots of friends but appear to have missed lots of others too...it'll need to be two days next time! The layouts I went to see didn't disappoint, I thought Corris was absolutely magnificent and I really enjoyed having 10 minutes or so of Peters time to ask questions and see his in progress No4, just beautiful.
Portchullin just made me want a Scottish layout (even more than normal) and Albion Yard was even better than I remember, especially as there was enough time to talk to Paul and his operators and appreciate the nuts and bolts of the whole thing.
Ultimately it was a grand day out and full of all the things I like - I shall be going again :)

Steve

Neil

Western Thunderer
I too enjoyed the day. I thought Albion yard was excellent, especially the extension of the scenery into the fiddle yard, a brilliant idea. I was also bowled over by the Fremo modular layout which took an almost diametrically opposite approach to staging (no backscene, fiddle yards on view) but still managed to present a believable reality. B.A. Bodil was fab, but I'm awful glad I'm as tall as I am, otherwise backs of heads would be all I would have seen.

Arty

Western Thunderer
It was a great day out, some very good layouts.

warley4.jpg

I just love those walls on Corris, and as Steve says, No 4 is really good.

warley2.jpg

I thought the boxes on Portchullin sat beautifully in the landscape, another great layoutwarley8.jpg

warley7.jpg

It was a good day, didn't take long to get onto the NEC site, unlike last year.
10mins in the queue for a ticket and hardly any broken ribs from backpack collisions.
Very good banoffee waffle for elevenses and a nice pint of Guinness in Weatherspoons for lunch.

Richard

PMP

Western Thunderer
Many thanks to those that dropped by, we had a very enjoyable show, made a bit more challenging by a difficult to trace controller failure on the Thursday evening! The Dutch layout was a wacky concept, and really well executed. I didn't get to see many of the layouts but there was a small O gauge layout based on inner London, (Dock Green?) which ran really well and ticked all the boxes for me for a 'manageable' sized 7mm layout, produced to a high standard. The Corris layouts always catch my attention too as I really like off the beaten track and these typify that so well, as does Mark Tatlows Portchullin.

Last train out was a brake van special watched by two people, almost prototypical!

last train ayd-001.jpg

PMP

Western Thunderer
Thanks chaps, no tears shed by me! I've got a photo shoot to do with the layout to try and replicate 'weather' if it goes pear shaped its not an issue as the layouts being scrapped anyway. The buildings and trees etc all come off anyway to reveal this http://albionyard.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/img_7790.jpg and they'll be recycled into other projects. The legs and backscene will be kept, but the 'chassis' as such will be modified for the photo shoot and then stripped of useable materials leaving pretty much a 2x4 frame work which will do for the aga!