4mm Unnamed freight only shunting layout

matto21

Western Thunderer
Thank you all for the comments, much appreciated!

@Pencarrow and @NHY 581 : there are no sheep planned, sorry!

@Captain Kernow : it started life as some bits from Lcut, however I might as well not have bothered because I changed it so much. There are a few pics on page 5 of this thread if you're interested.

@PMP : thank you, think I need to change the windows though.

Some more (quite dark) roady pics:

20220325_082002.jpg

20220325_081954.jpg

Matt

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thank you all for the comments, much appreciated!

@Pencarrow and @NHY 581 : there are no sheep planned, sorry!

@Captain Kernow : it started life as some bits from Lcut, however I might as well not have bothered because I changed it so much. There are a few pics on page 5 of this thread if you're interested.

@PMP : thank you, think I need to change the windows though.

Some more (quite dark) roady pics:

View attachment 158934

View attachment 158935

Matt

Ah, Lcut kits... The signal box for Polsarrett started as one of theirs and, er, is now mostly plasticard.

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

I've made remarkably quick progress with the road section. An enjoyable hour or so was spent this morning cutting and applying kerb stones made from plastic strip to finish things off.

Next task will be to apply some texture and colour - I'll be using filler as per the garage building.

The following photos show I have lot of painting to do to get away from the sea of whiteness!

01.jpg

02.jpg

Note the different windows. Not as "industrial" but certainly less flat than the original screen printed ones - important given its prominent location at the very front.

03.jpg

A last look up the street towards the "main" road...

04.jpg

And finally - ignore the backscene shadow - this is why I decided to remove the garage, to enable this kind of view.

05.jpg

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Trees:

I've wanted to try making a tree for ages, probably longer than this layout has been in existence. I always held off because I felt it better to wait til there was some sort of scene to put it in, otherwise it just becomes yet another random and contextless item (and I have enough of those!).

My original intention was to make something to be placed at the left hand side of the layout, by the house, but it quickly became apparent that what I was putting together would not fit the limited space.

After a bit of destruction, followed by reassembly, I chose a different location with a bit more all-round space to make it easier for myself.

Screenshot_20220327-200131_Instagram.jpg

Construction wise, it's made from that green coated florist wire stuff twisted together, with other shorter "branches" superglue to the main trunk as required. This is easy to twist (and untwist when it goes wrong!).

The shape evolved multiple times: I kept looking out of the window at real trees in the gardens, and it wasn't difficult to see where mine could be improved shape-wise.

Ages ago, I bought a pot of Flexibark from Greenscene, and this has been used for the, well, bark. The texture of the twisted wire is still apparent in places, so a few more coats are needed and the base of the trunk needs thickening too.

I'm still thinking about foliage - I have various scatters and packets of "green stuff" when the time comes.

But for a first effort, I'm pretty pleased so far!

Matt

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Very nice job on the building Matt, what type of corrugated material did you use for the roof? If I might suggest also that the moss looks just a bit flowery what would happen if you squashed it down just a little?

Michael

matto21

Western Thunderer
Very nice job on the building Matt, what type of corrugated material did you use for the roof? If I might suggest also that the moss looks just a bit flowery what would happen if you squashed it down just a little?

Michael
Hi Michael, I assume you mean the garage? If so, the corrugated roof is made from material supplied by Ambis.

Some tree progress to share. I've been off work due to illness (not Covid), which has given me some time I wouldn't otherwise have had.

The thickness and texture of the trunk has been improved with modelling filler - still a bit more to do, and the foliage has been started with Seafoam. Incidentally, I bought this stuff years ago - the price on the packaging is £3.45 compare to the £15 or so it costs these days!

Tree01.jpg
An enjoyable, if fiddly, project so far.

Matt