S Trowland Tales

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Yes Rob, I remember Wicken being there one moment at the MRC Easter show then when I returned it had gone, packed up and off! I hasten to add it was at the end of the show! Very quick to put up and take down. A lesson for all.
Cheers
Julian
Integral legs with captive nuts and bolts is the answer. I will take some piccies in due course as it is rather cleverly done.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Time flies when you're (not) having fun.
Finally managed to get Trowland onto the dining room table to fix the tiebar and the dead section that appeared at a rail joint (and temporarily bridged) when I last had a play (back in August!).
Fortunately Trevor provided a wiring diagram, the dead section shown with the green arrow.
I had power from the "Barry Slip" but nothing towards the goods shed and no seperate feed to that piece of rail. There is a wire to the crossover microswitch from the dead rail (blue arrow) so it was a simple matter of linking that across to the feed from the Barry microswitch (red arrow, red wire).
All of which would have been a right pain in the proverbial if Trevor hadn't had the foresight to make the platform removable.:thumbs:
Arrows.jpg20230123_141512.jpg
The tie bar just needed a tickle with the iron and the timbering glueing back. A spot of paint will complete eventually.

Now the printer is back up and running i have a pile of small scenic bits to print and fit, barrels, crates, sacks etc

Only 3 months to Taunton.

Rob

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Afternoon Rob,

I'm now up and running with regards to the organising and promoting of SWAG after our fundraising efforts before Christmas.

It will be good to see you.

Rob.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob
I really like this post in many ways...it shows how Trevor has set up the point operation in very good detail and with such mechanical skill. It also demonstrates that the good old fashion mechanical systems are not extinct, far from it.

It also reminds me of how Peter Denny "did it" in the earlier days of the Buckingham Branch. I have the RMs from 1960 for his Leighton Buzzard branch with a similar mechanical system.
Your photos, Rob help others to look at "how it is done"

I have a question on the timbering, why? I can only presume it is to protect the shunting horses? Very effective way of hiding the mechanisms.

Also the two rods going to the left, I presume operate the other point(s)(?) but how is the movement transmitted to the joining board?

Thank you for sharing this, it has certainly given me some ideas! I for one will never tire of photos of this layout......

Cheers
Julian

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Thank you gentlemen, sounds very interesting but like someone else I will be in Spain! Shame as there are many layouts I would like to actually "see"
Julian

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob
I really like this post in many ways...it shows how Trevor has set up the point operation in very good detail and with such mechanical skill. It also demonstrates that the good old fashion mechanical systems are not extinct, far from it.

It also reminds me of how Peter Denny "did it" in the earlier days of the Buckingham Branch. I have the RMs from 1960 for his Leighton Buzzard branch with a similar mechanical system.
Your photos, Rob help others to look at "how it is done"

I have a question on the timbering, why? I can only presume it is to protect the shunting horses? Very effective way of hiding the mechanisms.

Also the two rods going to the left, I presume operate the other point(s)(?) but how is the movement transmitted to the joining board?

Thank you for sharing this, it has certainly given me some ideas! I for one will never tire of photos of this layout......

Cheers
Julian
Julian,
The other board has just the one point and a signal.
They are operated by the two rods circled red. When the levers in the frame are "normal" the rods are retracted inside the baseboard edge. When the levers are pulled the rods push onto matching rods on the other board which are fitted with return springs. All are buried under the end of the platform - if it is removable like the main platform I'll take a couple of piccies next time the layout is out.
Sorry, I can't help you with the timbering at the moment.

As for SWAG, I am sure there will be plenty of photos, both here and on "the other side".
Point rodding.jpg

Rob

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob. Do you have photo of the other board showing the point rod and spring arrangement?
I think it is all under the little bit of platform on the other board. No doubt Trevor has made that removable as well so I will sort a photo when I get the layout out next. It is all boxed up now and shoe horned into it's storage space.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Sorry, we are very demanding aren't we Rob!
I have been looking at MRJ No10 with Trevor's Wicken and he has used the similar timbering on the points. Maybe it is an E.Anglian thing?
I remember how smoothly his engines run from operating this layout at the MRC exhibition.
Do you have the stock for use on Trowland as per the photos?
Cheers
Julian

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Julian,
The timbering on the pointwork may just be a "Trevor" thing but I will keep a lookout for it when I am looking at period photos.
I have all the rolling stock Trevor built for Trowland although the Black Hawthorn saddle tank is currently on tour with Blakey Rigg (and looks very much at home on the Yorkshire Moors).

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob
I had a look at the Disused Stations website and a quick look at Saffron Walden shows similar timbering on a photo taken about 1907, so I think it is a period thing.
I wonder if other pregrouping companies do the same?
Cheers
Julian

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Very nice Rob, I will have to look that one out.
I was thinking it would have been nice if Salcott got into one of the mags......!
Cheers Julian