1/32 The wall...

28ten

Guv'nor
Having faced the fact that whilst perfect for 7mm, Ashburton wouldnt work for me in 1/32 (there are various reasons, but mainly the level of detail needed in the buildings) I have been casting round for a suitable alternative.
A chance conversation and a commission for a cutting a 1:35 engine shed led me to look at Wallingford. I have always liked the GWR Thames valley branches (probably because it is the area I grew up in) and Wallingford does lend itself to a moving diorama approach, which is really the direction I am going, better still I can get the main elements in an area 8'x3'6" with a later pre planned extension of a further 8'.
So having done most of the CAD for the shed my thoughts turned to a mock up in foamboard, I lasered the shed fullsize (1/32) and then the brain wave came to do it half size 1/64....... that way I can get a 4x2 sheet of kingspan and plan it all on that.
Tonights work has seen a quick outline of the three main structures in Autocad lasered onto some foam board
IMG_4248.JPG

This was quickly released with a sharp scalpel ( foamboard doesnt laser well as the core tends to meld but it is possible to just cut the top layer making it very easy to finish with a scalpel)

IMG_4250.JPG

and 20 minutes later, glue drying and waiting for roof fitting tomorrow.

IMG_4251.JPG

Finally a shot of mini me

IMG_4252.JPG

28ten

Guv'nor
On baby sitting duties this morning I thought a bit of cutting and sticking might go down well :)

IMG_4254.JPG

S scale in 4x2, i could do with a couple of wagons though, and maybe some track :))
The backdrop is a little uncertain, and im not quite sure what to do yet.

Simon

Flying Squad
On baby sitting duties this morning I thought a bit of cutting and sticking might go down well :)

View attachment 7554

S scale in 4x2, i could do with a couple of wagons though, and maybe some track :))
The backdrop is a little uncertain, and im not quite sure what to do yet.

Steady Cynric, you'll be up for the Western Thunder "Dunkley Award*" if you keep this up:))

*A highly valued award made for extreme creativity, flexibility and fluidity in settling upon modelling subjects and scales.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
There's also the Dikitriki award - for never finishing anything, ever. At least I'd award it if I ever finished it.:)

28ten

Guv'nor
There's also the Dikitriki award - for never finishing anything, ever. At least I'd award it if I ever finished it.:)
I can have one of those as well :)

Further playing has shown that I could start with this little group which fits 4x2ft in 1/32...
IMG_4257.JPG

The shed will be modelled abandoned (as was the real one post 56) so just a yard of track to model. Although the real line closed to passengers in June '59 it did remain open to freight until September '65, with a little licence I could aim at transition period, with a nod to the odd bit of Blue.

To give a rough idea this is what I am aiming at
lingford_Station%2C_with_auto-train_and_%28detached%29_0-4-2T_geograph-2591518-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Attachments

• 001-2.jpg
    001-2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 3

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Steady Cynric, you'll be up for the Western Thunder "Dunkley Award*" if you keep this up:))

*A highly valued award made for extreme creativity, flexibility and fluidity in settling upon modelling subjects and scales.

There's a hell of a long apprenticeship involved for that particular gong.

28ten

Guv'nor
This very rough Templot shows the general idea, the red rectangles represent 8ftx4ft. As I said the engine shed track was lifted, and as far as I am concerned the same happened to the two outer sidings. The goods shed can be squeezed in a bit and a foot or so highlighted can be chopped out of the middle bringing everything into 16ft length. The bridge could be pulled in a bit and the exit hidden by a large tree, although there was an overbridge just a bit further to the right which has potential.

Capture.JPG

This looks achievable over five years, which Ashburton wasnt. The visual action is all in the 4x2 area round the station and if I get no further than that before something else takes my fancy ill still have a nice little diorama.

Simon

Flying Squad
This very rough Templot shows the general idea, the red rectangles represent 8ftx4ft. As I said the engine shed track was lifted, and as far as I am concerned the same happened to the two outer sidings. The goods shed can be squeezed in a bit and a foot or so highlighted can be chopped out of the middle bringing everything into 16ft length. The bridge could be pulled in a bit and the exit hidden by a large tree, although there was an overbridge just a bit further to the right which has potential.

View attachment 7559

This looks achievable over five years, which Ashburton wasnt. The visual action is all in the 4x2 area round the station and if I get no further than that before something else takes my fancy ill still have a nice little diorama.

I think that's a winner. The juxtaposition of buildings is very satisfying, leaving aside issues (which matter less for a diorama) about "exiting right" the only bit that looks tricky to me is how you visually treat the "backscene" behind the sidings ends behind the platform.

And best of all (as a diorama) there are no points to build:thumbs:

Simon

28ten

Guv'nor
Yes the backscene is a problem, along the line of the outer siding there was a row of bushes amd some fencing panels I could pull forwards on the pretext of the land having been sold for development.
I forgot to mention the CWS dairy that existed just off to the right and the nearby RAF station at Benson, both of which could justify survival into the late 60's, Im seeing a 63 in the platform with a couple of milk tanks and the end loading dock in use.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Is there a risk that it's going to look a little cramped in 16 x 4 like that? It looks a bit crowded to my eyes, taking into account the track/scenery ratio.

I do like what you're trying to do though.

28ten

Guv'nor
Is there a risk that it's going to look a little cramped in 16 x 4 like that? It looks a bit crowded to my eyes, taking into account the track/scenery ratio.

I do like what you're trying to do though.
Quite possibly! I could stretch the length and a further 8ft with the allotments would be nice.
With the lifted track at the front there should be about 10 inches of rubble which I hope will give some space, imagine this from the fence with just the platform track
816.jpg

Image from Timecapsules http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/picture/number816.asp

I need to do quite a bit of work with the half size model to refine the overall concept, but I am pretty confident the small front group of buildings will work

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
I dont think the balance of track to scenery is too bad at all - I've taken a liberty and removed the excess tracks to leave just the templotted (is that a word) ones in place

Screen Dump Mod.JPG

Doesn't look crowded to me at all in that view.
Think the concept is bang on Cynric, the buildings have a nice variety of heights, shapes and textures and will make a lovely scene. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the technicalities of it all.

Steve

28ten

Guv'nor
Okay, I know I'm the Permanent Resident of the Back of the Class and all that, but having read & re-read this thread, I'm still trying to figure out what the Lesson is that's been Learned... :confused: ....apart from the one in this picture...

"Don't play with your lad's Tomy Trains, they'll only give you ideas...!!"

The lessons are; what works in one scale wont necessarily work in another, think small and big in 1/32, build a mockup in S scale first.........