NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Other than the track, wheels..... :p What did the Romans ever do for us?

I often chuckle actually at this very point. As a 00 modeller, the track gauge, wheel standards etc are of least importance when I'm looking at a model. I'm simply drawn by the overall appearance of the scene, as David was to Ewe and to be fair to David, he's presented it beautifully.

Screenshot_20240123-090751_Microsoft 365 (Office)-01.jpeg

Rob

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I often chuckle actually at this very point. As a 00 modeller, the track gauge, wheel standards etc are of least importance when I'm looking at a model. I'm simply drawn by the overall appearance of the scene,
Absolutely. That was my point when asking if the S4 society thought Ewe was S4. Looking across tracks at a low angle, the gauge is almost immaterial.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I often chuckle actually at this very point. As a 00 modeller, the track gauge, wheel standards etc are of least importance when I'm looking at a model. I'm simply drawn by the overall appearance of the scene, as David was to Ewe and to be fair to David, he's presented it beautifully.

View attachment 207213

Rob
Despite being a S4 Society member, I’m not going to argue with Ewe.

Cheers

Jan

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Despite my track record as a member of the S7 persausion, I thoroughly enjoyed the twenty minutes I spent gazing at the layout at Larkrail. Creating a convincing atmosphere is a rare skill and trumps getting a L2 chair in the right place.

PS I just made L2 chair up but if it is a real thing I need help.....:confused:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Despite my track record as a member of the S7 persausion, I thoroughly enjoyed the twenty minutes I spent gazing at the layout at Larkrail. Creating a convincing atmosphere is a rare skill and trumps getting a L2 chair in the right place.

PS I just made L2 chair up but if it is a real thing I need help.....:confused:

Morning Simon,

Glad you enjoyed your stint in front of the layout at Larkrail. People do say that there is a similar look to my layouts despite the different themes to each. It was actually Sheep Dip I had there and it's off to Nailsea in a couple of months time.

20231124_235641-01.jpeg

Probably because of the display height, Sheep Dip has also been mistaken as having a wider gauge than 00.

Rob

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all.

After some thought, I've decided to stop the build on the 'quicky layout'. There's no enthisiasm for it at present so rather than force the issue, it's best to move on........or just stop in my case.

I did wonder if it was my decision for a pre grouping time frame and tried post grouping Southern and my more usual 1950s BR but neither has struck a chord. So, as I say, best put to one side and see what's what.

Rob

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Morning all.

After some thought, I've decided to stop the build on the 'quicky layout'. There's no enthisiasm for it at present so rather than force the issue, it's best to move on........or just stop in my case.

I did wonder if it was my decision for a pre grouping time frame and tried post grouping Southern and my more usual 1950s BR but neither has struck a chord. So, as I say, best put to one side and see what's what.

Rob

Plonk the new board to one side. Don't do anything rash like getting shot of it or trashing it. Play trains and enjoy the layouts you have. Spend a bit of time adding detail and titivating the scenes and stock.

Hi this is going back to Mutton. Can you tell me what radius the Peco points are....medium or small. Am starting a new project based on Easthope Halt on the Wellington - Much Wenlock - Craven Arms branch. Same dimensions as Mutton. Scenic board 48 inches by 14 inches and 36 inch fiddle yards. Want a project I can hopefully finish. Have a branch line terminus of Clun wnich is virtually finished but having gone from a large loft layout that wasw never finished have been following all your layouts and believe this size layout will give most satisfaction.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi this is going back to Mutton. Can you tell me what radius the Peco points are....medium or small. Am starting a new project based on Easthope Halt on the Wellington - Much Wenlock - Craven Arms branch. Same dimensions as Mutton. Scenic board 48 inches by 14 inches and 36 inch fiddle yards. Want a project I can hopefully finish. Have a branch line terminus of Clun wnich is virtually finished but having gone from a large loft layout that wasw never finished have been following all your layouts and believe this size layout will give most satisfaction.

Hi Spanners,

Welcome aboard.

Early layouts, of which Mutton was of course one, used Small radius Peco code 75 electrofrog points. Footprint was actually 4ft x 16inches.

Hope this gets you going.

Rob

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Morning all.

I'd do just that - stop and pack it away. Something will spring to mind while idling and researching - you never know you could even change continents and head east to mainland Europe or west to the USA :).

I can empathise as my enthusiasm disappeared 12 months ago after a CABG triple bypass op in January 2023 - since then I've packed my models and modelling stuff away while sorting out other bits around the house. As for any modelling I've only tinkered at the edges when the mood takes me and looking at new models thinking what if.

The enthusiasm will return - you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave :).

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I'd do just that - stop and pack it away. Something will spring to mind while idling and researching - you never know you could even change continents and head east to mainland Europe or west to the USA :).
Note - it wasn't me who suggested US Outline!! :)) :rolleyes:
Or at least, time to finally try 7mm scale.... easier on the eyes & hooves, too. :)

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Dare one say an entirly new challenge 0 gauge!! Dare one say is ewe getting slightly bored with sheep pens, whoops,layouts that have a very similar format.
Getting coat on now.

Evening Alan,

You could be right................but I'm still not ready to commit to 7mm........and I still do not have the space if I were.

I'm lacking a bit of enthusiasm in general at present but I do agree with Pencarrot's views above, consolidation is the way forward. I'll therefore be working on a couple of projects for the existing layouts.

Today saw me simply playing trains but as a consequence, I took my time and totally stripped down a couple of 4mm Sentinels due to a nodding motion from one. They run on wheels (?!?) which have stub axles and are pressed into plastic axle/gear assemblies. Over time, these deteriorate due to contact with oil and the ends split allowing the axles to distort. Didn't expect it quite so quick as I replaced the axles perhaps three or four years ago. So I'll be ordering more of these axles and replacing them on all three of the Sentinels as all the axles bar one are so afflicted.

20240127_154343-01.jpeg

The use of a Y1 Sentinel on the Wisbech and Upwell was tried in the late 1920s. Not a success apparently and not tried again ( unless you count the Y10s) but I'll look to add one to Ewe's roster for a bit of variety....rule 1 etc.

Whilst on the subject of the Y10, I of course have one which needs a new chassis so that's another project to line up.

Rob.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Today saw me simply playing trains but as a consequence, I took my time and totally stripped down a couple of 4mm Sentinels due to a nodding motion from one. They run on wheels (?!?) which have stub axles and are pressed into plastic axle/gear assemblies. Over time, these deteriorate due to contact with oil and the ends split allowing the axles to distort. Didn't expect it quite so quick as I replaced the axles perhaps three or four years ago. So I'll be ordering more of these axles and replacing them on all three of the Sentinels as all the axles bar one are so afflicted.

Wow - axles replaced twice! Surely that must be a design flaw or wrong materials used for the axle/gear assembly. One assumes Dapol must maintain a large spares pool.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Wow - axles replaced twice! Surely that must be a design flaw or wrong materials used for the axle/gear assembly. One assumes Dapol must maintain a large spares pool.

Morning Dave.

I've actually checked back. The axles were replaced in May 2020 so not quite four years and yes, the reason for the replacements was indeed a propensity to nod, traced to swollen and split axles. I'm pretty certain I bought a couple of extras for stock back then but for the life of me, I can't locate them......or the spare cab steps I'm equally convinced I have in stock.....somewhere......

Rob

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob, they'll turn up in one of the two classic fashions.... - either when you're looking for something else or just after you've ordered the replacements. :)

Out of curiousity do you degrease the mechanisms and re-lubricate with plastic compatible lubricants such as those from the Woodland Scenics Hob-E-Lube range?