The Scrap Yard....A study in rust, junk, and decay!

Neville

Western Thunderer
Here are some new photos I have just snapped of my new portable layout.
Its a series of modules seven all up plus a fiddle yard module that is unsceniced.
Each module is 1200x600 and the fiddle yard is 2000x600.
Nothing is finished and even the sceniced parts still need lots of weathering and details that will all happen soon.
That's all for now I had some really nice photos but they were to large, lucky I changed the settings halfway through taking these photos otherwise I would have had to start again.
Anyway more later as work progresses and the camera settings are right now for the future.
I'm just a bumbling amateur with high tech stuff but I get there in the end
Thanks.
Nev.

Attachments

• DSC00047.JPG
    DSC00047.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC00057.JPG
    DSC00057.JPG
    543.5 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC00060.JPG
    DSC00060.JPG
    601.7 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC00062.JPG
    DSC00062.JPG
    543 KB · Views: 159

Osgood

Western Thunderer
That is so spooky. Because you have been busy creating what, over the last 18 months, I've been planning and collecting (note collecting not yet building) 'stuff' for. Except for the continent it represents. Even down to the exact same complex crossing and yard entrance shown :eek: Except you have corrugated iron nissen huts, I have a box of Skytrex covered van body mouldings.

Cameras can trick the eye, but the tonal effects once complete will be great. The gantry yard comes over appropriately moody.

If your camera produces picture files that are too large to upload to the forum (250kb is fine), there are several different but straightforward ways to reduce their size, thus making all your photos suitable - so no excuses please :) Also that way you can retain the high quality images that you can enjoy in future years.

Last edited:

Neville

Western Thunderer
Thanks fellas.
Almost every thing on this layout is scratch built except the Heljan Engine House which has been converted to one track and shortened.
They were lousy photos this morning but the best I could do at the moment because I am working on the modules at the same time.
I guess a track plan would be good I have one in the files I'll see if I have the knowledge to get it out of the PDF file so I can post it here I might have to post the entire file (it's only a track plan) still it's rather large.
I need a backdrop for taking photos I have a mate coming around tomorrow and we will be moving some modules around, I can only link up five at a time otherwise they are out side the doors of the workshop at each end!
I have just attached the file with the track plan I don't know if this will work be patient we will get there eventually.
OK I posted the wrong track plan it was the first one it has been changed so I have deleted it.
I can't find the final plan but this second one I have posted is very close to the final plan and will give you an idea of what I am trying to achieve.
The fiddle yard is on the right.
There are three main industries.
1. The Railway Scrap Yard which is the focal point for the layout and the main industry. (First Three modules) Locos to be scrapped.
The crane is on that second module that has six tracks (see plan)
2. The Railway freight car repair shops. (two modules) Freight cars to be repaired.
3. The private non railway salvage yard which is really a very minor part of the operation plan but it looks good for the public as this is going into a show next year that is on the extreme left and is only one module. One gondola of scrap every now and again.
There is one module in the centre that links everything together.
There is no backdrop it is an "Island" type layout so the public can walk around and view it from all sides which of course means there is no "cheating" with the scenery it's got to look right from all sides.
Now I will leave you in total confusion and see you all tomorrow.
Goodnight.
Nev.

Attachments

• DSC06720.JPG
    DSC06720.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 125

Neville

Western Thunderer
Hi Everyone.
I'm finding it hard to get some decent photos of the progress, I might have to wait till it's almost finished and put some kind of "blue" backdrop against the layout.
Here are a couple of photos of the first three modules, I call them "The Crane" modules.
Keep in mind I'm not a professional at anything, photos, building models, just a "Mr average" and sometimes not even that so what you see here anyone with a bit of spare time can do what I do.
You can ask me any questions about how I go about things and I'll try to answer in my simple way that's why we have forums isn't it?
Oh and by the way I built and added another module yesterday it's infectious, how far do you go!
The latest module does not have any railway on it although I did give it some thought instead it has a Bus Station with a small street section and a speed shop no photos for that yet but soon.
Nev.

Attachments

• DSC06721.JPG
    DSC06721.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC06722.JPG
    DSC06722.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC06723.JPG
    DSC06723.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC06724.JPG
    DSC06724.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC06725.JPG
    DSC06725.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 93

Neville

Western Thunderer
The Bus Station.
I was going to start a new thread about this module but thought why?... it's a part of The Scrap Yard layout so here it is.
Its a resin kit from a few years ago, same as the Speed Shop.
Nev.

Attachments

• DSC06730.JPG
    DSC06730.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC06731.JPG
    DSC06731.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC06732.JPG
    DSC06732.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC06733.JPG
    DSC06733.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC06736.JPG
    DSC06736.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 82

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Neville, it's great to see your modelling here. It's always brilliant to see stuff that people get up to modelling the railways of other countries.

Can I ask a favour, please. When you post photos on your thread, can you add them as full size rather than thumbnails? The reasons are simple: I'm a lazy so-and-so and tend not to click to view a slideshow of images, and having images in the flow of your text means you can describe what we are seeing more easily. :thumbs:

I'm told the impact on the forum software and hardware is the same whether you add images as thumbnails or embedded at full size, so there's nothing to lose!

Neville

Western Thunderer
Heather, I agree I wondered how other members were having their pictures shown in full with the message.
Thanks for that.
Steve Thanks.
Now to post a photo in full size but first I need a photo!
How about one of South Brooklyn I just walked into the next room and snapped it.
It worked! not the greatest photo but I have learnt something.
Thanks again.
Neville.DSC06737.JPG

Neville

Western Thunderer
BTW.
Does anyone know if I have posted any photos of the new South Brooklyn here on this forum (Western Thunder) I can't remember.
I have found some of the rest of the layout in the forums, this South Brooklyn has only been built and finished (apart from some details) before I went to England this year August 2014.
If I haven't I will take a new lot of photos and post them in another thread one day when I get a minute or two.
You might be wondering where all the freight cars are, well,
they are behind you, the last operating session cleared the yard apart from the boxcars behind you, turn around and you will see them!
Ok You can't see them well here they are.
Nev.
DSC06738.JPG

Neville

Western Thunderer
Heather.
I have lived in the UK and my son lives there permanently I know the problems of space particularly in London but in Australia it's an entirely different way of living although I might add that blocks of land and houses are starting to get smaller every year but not cheaper!
We have lived in the same house for forty years and will never move and there is just Margaret and myself now so we utilise the space we have in the best possible way....on ourselves!!
I'm jealous of you guys with all the trains shows you have, here in West Australia we have one....every year!
Nev.

Neville

Western Thunderer
How to make a scrap yard look like a scrap yard?
I have built a few but none this big so where do I start.
Well first of all the ground cover/colour that I put down just didn't look like a scrapyard so out with some black cinders and recover the area.
So far so good now it looks dirty.
There is no Worksafe rules in my scrapyard so I am going to have junk everywhere the first thing I glued down was lots of Indian ink stained small pieces of wood for a foundation I'm not worried about the pieces being wood because most of it will get covered up in the next steps which will not be happening today.
I want everything to be dry before the next stage besides I have just painted a pile of junk and even though the sun is out they haven't dried yet.
If I haven't bored you to tears drop in again another day and see the progress.
Nev.
DSC06761.JPG
DSC06762.JPG DSC06760.JPG

Neville

Western Thunderer
I know graffiti is out of control now but in the days of armed guards and fierce dogs there was no graffiti and very few smashed windows.
I have lots of American Railroad salvage yard photos that back up that statement.
I'm guessing, It's just not worth getting shot or chewed on for your art , today it's a different matter anybody does anything they like.
I was in Louisville, Kentucky, once at a car wrecking yard looking for number plates on a Sunday the place was closed next minute this bloke came out with a pistol in one hand and holding a dog on a leash with the other hand. Those were the days!
He gave me a few plates when I told him I was from Australia and a Vietnam veteran he was to in fact we were both over there at the same time 1970!
Nev.

Neville

Western Thunderer
Today I put five modules together where most of the operation will be it looks good!
This is the first time these five have been together I can only fit five in the workshop at a time.
They are easy to move around due to the solid legs they sit on when your doing a project of this size by yourself you have to design it to suit one person of course at the show I will have a few blokes helping me so juggling solid modules around won't be a problem.DSC00094.JPG DSC00095.JPG