7mm The Rhubarb Triangle Line

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Ahh Now I see the method in the madness you can lay a ground level track underneath afterwards and create bridges and tunnels forward thinking that man. I am running away now as Mrs Rob I am sure is picking up the flattening implement and aiming it in my direction.;)

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Since Tuesday it has pretty much thrown it down here but in between the showers yesterday Chris popped out and creosoted what we have done so far.

Today it brightened a bit so she went out and did some planting. She has been growing box cuttings in anticipation.....

I managed to get a few shots of where we are are so far in daylight.

10085780975_6377a98582_b.jpg

10085785506_4fa6dd2a4f_b.jpg

10085703614_c3f902432c_b.jpg

10085818723_9debce4df5_b.jpg

10085801433_eccbb0baca_b.jpg

The forecast for tomorrow is good and it is dry now so hopefully by the morning the ground will have dryed a little but still be soft enough to make knocking in the Metposts a bit easier.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Wow Rob, its coming on a treat now. Im very jealous.:thumbs:, ou have made a lot more progress than me.

Unfortunately i cant afford to buy any of the "Medite Tricoya " sheets until feb due to funds ( xmas, birthdays etc ) .
Have you painted the edges with creosote ?.

Rob:)

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Brilliant Rob, track next :)
I have to say, it doesn't look as dominating as I thought it might, but then I wasn't sure how high off the ground you were to go be. Are you going to be adding anything under the edges of the boards for additional support at all - it seems to be quite a wide board to my eyes for just a single support in the centre.
Steve

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Brilliant Rob, track next :)
I have to say, it doesn't look as dominating as I thought it might, but then I wasn't sure how high off the ground you were to go be. Are you going to be adding anything under the edges of the boards for additional support at all - it seems to be quite a wide board to my eyes for just a single support in the centre.
Steve

Thanks Steve,

Yes I plan to, mostly on the curves where the support cuts across but I will see how it goes over time for the rest.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
There's only one thing missing from those pictures why ain't you SMILING, you should be that man

My excuse is that I was concentrating - I am certainly smiling now that the track bed is in place:D.

As Steve says track next but that will have to wait while I save a few pennies.

Osgood

Western Thunderer

Those black speed clamps are great value and so easy to use. But don't be tempted like I was (lazy, couldn't be bothered to fetch the correct clamps) to use them for welding - the white plastic parts burn with an invisible flame!

It is seriously disconcerting to see them literally melt and drip onto the floor for no apparent reason! The fumes are pretty weird too!! Then, without the white plastic swivelly bits on they are a complete menace to use....

Osgood

Western Thunderer
A scientific explanation! Thanks. The melting plastic with no cause was a bit of a Salvador Dali moment.......

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Rob

Truly amazing rate of progress. Can I book you for a couple of weeks come spring?

Assuming you have a couple of uncreosoted offcuts of the Medite Tricoya that are scrap, I was wondering whether you might consider conducting a couple of experiments for me.

1) Can you drop one in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks?

2) Can you leave one outside over winter?

.......and report back to me how the untreated stuff stood up. I say 'me', but I'm sure it would be of interest to others on here.

Thanks.

Richard

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,

Than sounds like a good idea. I too will be interested to see how it stands up.....

Watch this space as the saying goes:thumbs:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Well, you are a braver man than me :)

Hi Steve, what's probably not so clear from the photo's is how close the 4x4 posts are to each other. The longest gap is less than 4' and quite a few are 2'6" or less while the supports are 2"x3" so its probably not quite as risky as you might think (I hope!!)

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Thats good to hear Rob, I'm a bit less nervous about it all on your behalf now :thumbs:

I'm interested in the results of leaving the Tricoya out over winter too. Have to admit it makes me chuckle thinking of the effort that you and Chris have gone through to get the garden in a nice shape, and we are all interested in you leaving scraps of wood and buckets about the place :D

Steve

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
A few last jobs this morning before giving all the track bed another coat of creosote.

First off was to make some steps to get down in to the drainage ditch - now that the others are enclosed by railway!!!.

Gardenrailway010_zps29aaad25.jpg

Then I added a few more planks to the deck where Chris's remaining bit of garden is.

Gardenrailway011_zps27135789.jpg

The sun shone gloriously so I made the most of it - I even had my shirt off, not bad for October.

Gardenrailway005_zpsfb9f248f.jpg

Gardenrailway007_zpsf5728b00.jpg

Gardenrailway009_zpsfc4f4932.jpg

Gardenrailway012_zps43d3916c.jpg

Gardenrailway013_zps3a43c9c8.jpg