Full Size The Railway over Stainmore Pass

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Following discussions in the Brendon Hills thread I have now received a copy and had a brief look through it. It isn't nor claims to be a history of the Bishop Auckland to Tebay railway, and is very much an examination of its rise and decline in the years following the second world war when there was a great demand for steel and the transport of raw materials to make it. In two parts, the first 40 or so pages outline the history from 1850 up to 1939, adequate to provide the context of the narrative following, the second part looks at traffic and operations over the route both for freight and passenger workings with the inevitable politically motivated decisions to close the route, even if it just pre dated the good doctor.

Written by a railwayman in what seems to be an engaging way, I didn't see any obvious grammatical horrors and the little text I have read scans well. It's strength is of course the superb collection of photographs taken mainly in the 50's for which we owe the photographers a great deal, very well reproduced they alone should sell the book. There is even a small selection of colour images which appeal to me greatly.

Well produced by Lightmoor to their usual standards and a neatly sewn binding by the usual printers in Poland in my view this is a nice book.
The caveats, well nothings perfect, the lack of a dust jacket means the spine will fade quickly and inevitably being cream and orange. The front cover design is in my view fussy, the contrived use of the BR totem outline adds nothing and the title could have been simplified whilst retaining the meaning. The top of each page has a bordered outline inside which is the page number and either the chapter heading or the book title. This is I suppose fair enough but it does make the page layout heavy looking. It's unnecessary since I can still manage to remember the book I am holding and reading.

These are pretty minor matters and perhaps reflect my own thoughts too much and beyond that I can recommend this unreservedly.
Martin

Chris Veitch

Western Thunderer
Many thanks Martin - it's certainly a temptation now. There's a preview article in one of this month's magazines (Steam World?) by the author and it looked well worth having based on that.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
While talking Lightmoor and not wishing to divert the thread unnecessarily I was given the Tralee and Dingle book for Christmas. I'm up to page 50-ish. The production quality is excellent and it's very readable. The photographs are first class. The only thing that rankles a bit is the ongoing reference to "ferroequinologists". Pretentious - moi? Surely "railway enthusiasts" is good enough? It's certainly good enough for me.

Brian

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
My copy is still on the "to be read shelf" so I haven't realised that this rather patronising term has crept in. I'm sure publishers have forgotten what editors and proof readers are for. I'm rather pleased to be described as a railway enthusiast even if some of society use the term perjoratively.

Martin

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
My copy is still on the "to be read shelf" so I haven't realised that this rather patronising term has crept in. I'm sure publishers have forgotten what editors and proof readers are for. I'm rather pleased to be described as a railway enthusiast even if some of society use the term perjoratively.

Martin
That's two of us then, Martin, and three if I interpret Dave's message correctly. However it is a first class publication and I'll be very surprised if any railway enthusiast doesn't enjoy it.

Brian

adrian

Flying Squad
While talking Lightmoor and not wishing to divert the thread unnecessarily I was given the Tralee and Dingle book for Christmas. I'm up to page 50-ish. The production quality is excellent and it's very readable. The photographs are first class. The only thing that rankles a bit is the ongoing reference to "ferroequinologists". Pretentious - moi? Surely "railway enthusiasts" is good enough? It's certainly good enough for me.

Brian
I'm on chapter 4 so far and to be honest I hadn't really noticed that, or at least it didn't jar with me in the same way. Not sure how much it pervades through the entire book suffice to say that it appears to me that the majority of references in chapter 4 simply refer to "enthusiasts".

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
In view of your comment, Adrian, and you're far further on than I, it may just be "ferroequinologists" is in the introductory pages. Sorry to say it jarred with me as really pretentious but as long as it doesn't occur again and if the book continues to be as interesting and informative as it has been so far it'll be forgivable. It's certainly one of the best presented and researched railway book I've read in a long time.

Brian

Chris Veitch

Western Thunderer

Martin
I've just finished the book - after about nine months - and enjoyed it tremendously. It's a great example of a well-researched history which is as the same time engaging, entertaining and informative. Aside from the railway interest it paints a vivid, sometimes amusing and sometimes depressing picture of life in a remote part of Ireland. The combination of spartan construction, dubious operating practices, errant livestock, a dangerous roadside route and alcohol obviously made for an interesting life. It's to be hoped that it inspires some engaging modelling projects (although I do think there are rather more Irish 3'0" layouts around now I can recall at any time in the past).

If I did notice that term, it was fleetingly enough not to be affected by it.

Undertaking research on a line so obscure must have been a fascinating but frustrating task. I've read and re-read the passages on the birdcage brake van and still don't know whether there actually was one!

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Following discussions in the Brendon Hills thread I have now received a copy and had a brief look through it. It isn't nor claims to be a history of the Bishop Auckland to Tebay railway, and is very much an examination of its rise and decline in the years following the second world war when there was a great demand for steel and the transport of raw materials to make it. In two parts, the first 40 or so pages outline the history from 1850 up to 1939, adequate to provide the context of the narrative following, the second part looks at traffic and operations over the route both for freight and passenger workings with the inevitable politically motivated decisions to close the route, even if it just pre dated the good doctor.

Written by a railwayman in what seems to be an engaging way, I didn't see any obvious grammatical horrors and the little text I have read scans well. It's strength is of course the superb collection of photographs taken mainly in the 50's for which we owe the photographers a great deal, very well reproduced they alone should sell the book. There is even a small selection of colour images which appeal to me greatly.

Well produced by Lightmoor to their usual standards and a neatly sewn binding by the usual printers in Poland in my view this is a nice book.
The caveats, well nothings perfect, the lack of a dust jacket means the spine will fade quickly and inevitably being cream and orange. The front cover design is in my view fussy, the contrived use of the BR totem outline adds nothing and the title could have been simplified whilst retaining the meaning. The top of each page has a bordered outline inside which is the page number and either the chapter heading or the book title. This is I suppose fair enough but it does make the page layout heavy looking. It's unnecessary since I can still manage to remember the book I am holding and reading.

These are pretty minor matters and perhaps reflect my own thoughts too much and beyond that I can recommend this unreservedly.
Martin
I'm well into my copy of the Stainmore book now and it really is a fantastic read and a fitting companion to the Peter Walton book on (mostly) the same subject (although this latest book doesn't cover the Penrith to Kirby Stephen East line through the Eden Valley).

Talking of the Eden Valley line by the way, I was amazed to discover that you can now stay in Cliburn Signal Box as a holiday let! - Cliburn Signal Box – Cliburn Station