7mm The Derby Line - Rolling Stock

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Tony

Its a lot of filing for those springs
A friend got Laurie Griffin to make a master for the spring as its common with most of the Gresley engines and got some cast. I'll try and find out what happened to it.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Tony

Its a lot of filing for those springs
A friend got Laurie Griffin to make a master for the spring as its common with most of the Gresley engines and got some cast. I'll try and find out what happened to it.

Richard
It is, I just did the Bulleid Light Pacific this weekend, it took six hours in all from cutting from the fret to finally getting them all cleaned up and fit for purpose. Granted you can hardly see them behind the BFB wheels, but if you're going to fit them then they may as well look the part.

I often hear the excuse that cast springs are more expensive, yes they are, but, working on the average of £25/hr then the above five springs (I'd done one previously foe the instruction photos) cost me £125, you can buy a lot of cast springs for that. Of course, if you've got nothing else to do whilst the Sunday roast is cooking then fill your boots, personally it's not time well spent in my books.

It's about time laminated springs and slide bars are consigned to the history books.

I am learning Rhino, it's slow going but I will succeed, the ugly thought of having to clean more springs and slide bars is a compelling force.

MD

adrian

Flying Squad
I persevered with the spring laminations and they came out ok.
I'm no fan either of multiple laminations as I never seem to get everything aligned very well, these have turned out very well. For the springs do they fold up in a jig arrangement for soldering and then cut them out or do you have to align them manually? Also they appear to be soldered in so does this mean the horn blocks are permanently installed?

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Yah - I should have gone for the cast springs, totally agree on the costing - I filed those springs up whilst I was listening to the radio.. Maybe a casting could be mastered to replace the slidebars, I really could see how I could clean that slot for the crosshead up nicely.

Adrian - I stuck two old drills into a piece of wood to align and hold the spring laminations in place - yes the hornblocks are permanently trapped. unless I get myself in gear and get my layout built, it's unlikely they will see much wear!

dibateg

Western Thunderer
It's takes a day to fit out the chassis - putting the wheels on, checking bits of motion fit in place and that it will roll along freely. Sooo - nearly done. I didn't like the etched return crank roller bearing covers, so might use Ragstone ones. The return crank is marked to indicate which side it fits on. I've replaced the etched one with a Griffin one. I wasn't happy with the band round the firebox, so took it off and put a new one on.. Oh and the reach rod for the reverser had the guide etched on, I wanted mine to be able to move, so that the gear can be set in different positions. The guide was filed off and a new one made up.
P1040129.JPG

Silverystreaks

Western Thunderer
Coming along really nicely Tony. It took me a lot longer to reach the stage that yours is now though I guess that's down to the fact I have other interests. I seem to recall I made a a mess of fitting one of the cylinder wrappers and ended up making up a new one from scratch.

Completed but unpainted ex Finney kit models have a special aura about them.. well for me anyway.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I generally work on one project at a time Heather. The only other thing on my workbench shelf is a Slaters brakevan that needs painting - when the weather eventually warms up..

They always look great unpainted, but for me it's a transitional stage before they go on to get their true identity a s a representation of the real thing. I try to make sure I get good photos of them in the buff as it were!

Tony

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Like the loco, the tender brake gear is a bit 2 dimensional. I drilled out any etched dimples and soldered in .8mm wire to represent pivot bolts and pins etc. My soldering is a bit untidy underneath, but the real thing would be covered in crud in any case. 60886 is not going to be very clean, so that might be a bit more controversy.. One thing I couldn't live with was the half etched silhouette of the brake cylinders. So I knocked up some representations from scrap etch. I know they are not perfectly round, but you only see a part of the curved body on the gap in the side frames. I made a muck up of the scoop arm by breaking a bit off. I'll knock up something to fix that. The brake gear could do with a few castings rather than etchings for the cranks really. More tidying and finishing to come...
P1040151.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
80016 is back with it's excellent paint job from Warren Heywood. It's been a mildly stressful couple of days putting her back together without marking anything.. Glazing fitted, decoder fitted and we are ready for a test run tomorrow on Heyside.. Then final tidying can be done and off she'll go to Martyn Welch.
P1040175.JPG

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
How strange logging on six minutes after you posted up 80016...Thank you Tony,thank you Warren for making a memory more tangible.See you both at Bristol to thank you in person.
Best Wishes from the Long Client of Leytonstone....

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Leyto
How strange logging on six minutes after you posted up 80016...Thank you Tony,thank you Warren for making a memory more tangible.See you both at Bristol to thank you in person.
Best Wishes from the Long Client of Leytonstone....
Leytonstone?

JB.

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
"...EYSIDE? wadya mean EYSIDE? I'm bloody telling you i KNOW i bloody said HEATHFIELD !!!!!
Loud words and strange accents heard drifting from the cab of 80016 by,so I'm told, the "UP NORFF"man stood on the"UP NORFF"Platform.
Kind Regards to all Heysiders from a"DARN SOWFF"2-Bil.
PS
Wish i could have been a fly on her Buffer Beam and.....Hang on,harf a mo! That looks like 80154 come to show the road back home!

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
Hope the reference to Heathfield wasn't too obscure.80016 was the engine that took an eleven year old me from Eastbourne to Tunbridge Wells West along the lamentably lost "Cuckoo Line".The route was/is well known for its passage through the Sussex wealden landscape and for having had four stations ,one following another,that began with the letter H namely-HAILSHAM_HELLINGLY_HEATHFIELD_HORAM.Except for Hailsham the line was axed in 1965.Wish id kept the photos but they've gone too
2-Bil
PS Thanks in advance for the video opportunity its a Bonus id not expected.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
letter H namely-HAILSHAM_HELLINGLY_HEATHFIELD_HORAM

Shouldn't be 'Ailsham, 'Ellingly, 'Eathfield and 'Oram.

Reminds me of the station announcer at Farringdon when I used to commute from Luton... spoken fast.... 'the next train is fer Kings Cross Thameslink, then fast t' Snorbans, Arp'den, Looooon, Leagrave, Arlinton, Fli'ick and Be'fford (St. Albans, Harpenden, Luton, Leagrave, Harlington, Flitwick and Bedford).