7mm The Derby Line - Rolling Stock

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Interesting discussion! Thanks guys. General consensus seems to be for the blow down valve and I have represented the cross shaft, but not the lever dropping down in front of the firebox. I've also cheated a little by mounting it all on the boiler assembly, the actual bearing is on the chassis. Here is the preserved loco - but never trust one of those!
DSCF1483a.jpg

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Tony,
Yep, and that one needs more care than most having seen active service with the WD, in the Netherlands and Sweden but not with BR.
Steph

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Whilst the Wd's are in bits being painted and in between some weathering jobs I decided to fit the tablet catchers to the Ivatts, so that I can finish those off as well this month.

I drilled holes for the mounting spigots that are on the tablet frame castings:-
P1020270.JPG

And here they are, mounted up:-
P1020273.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
We see a lot of stuff being made on here, and here are some finished and almost finished items..

While I've been painting and assembling the WDs some weathering jobs have been passing through -

A very grubby S15 Number 30842:-
P1020302.JPG

A somewhat cleaner 2538, just lightly toned down:-
P1020298.JPG

Spot the differences, the WD's ready for todays track test:-
P1020294.JPG
P1020295.JPG

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
I would have thought so. Fireman's side for forward running with jaws facing forward. Driver's side for tender-first running with the jaws facing the direction of travel.

IIRC the table catcher could be pivoted so that the Vee fingers always pointed in the direction of running as some lines may have had the token exchanger only on one side of the line. If the loco could not be turned at the end of the line the same side catcher would have to be used.

I could be very wrong on this as well.

OzzyO.

PS. The only time that I exchanged tokens was using the arm out of the cab window one hand holding one token and the other arm ready to receive the next one. IIRC this was done at about 15M.P.H.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you Ozzyo for a fascinating picture.

Who can offer a suggestion for the lever arrangement that is driven by movement of the axlebox in the slides? My guess, given the slot in the side of the tender tank, is that the lever arrangement is coupled to the pick-up stuff so that the pick-up is at a constant height above rail-head (although not allowing for tyre wear).

regards, graham

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Bloody good guess Graham, looking at the picture again, I'd guess the same...

I've exchanged a few tokens now up at the Epping Ongar, and there is one thing I have learnt...

When on the trailing engine of the steam gala non-stop to epping, and collecting the North Weald - Epping token from NW, don't stand directly behind the cleaner to ensure he has collected the token! The token holder travels up his arm to his shoulder causing the token itself to swing round the back of him ending up in ones face... That tickles at 20mph!

JB.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Thank you Ozzyo for a fascinating picture.

Who can offer a suggestion for the lever arrangement that is driven by movement of the axlebox in the slides? My guess, given the slot in the side of the tender tank, is that the lever arrangement is coupled to the pick-up stuff so that the pick-up is at a constant height above rail-head (although not allowing for tyre wear).

regards, graham

Hello Graham,

I've enlarged the photo of the exchanger, looking behind the tender side sheet it looks like there may be a screw adjuster fitted there.
94exchange2.jpg

I would not have thought that the tender would have moved up and down enough to justify this arrangement in normal running. So could it be to allow for the weight between a full and an "empty" tender?

It looks like it was forgotten about in later life L.M.S. Etc and B.R. days, So it looks like the gap at the front of the catcher arm was enough to compensate for any movement.

This may have been in the very early days of these been fitted and it was just belt and braces?

Another question for you all how did they bring the arm in? As in that position it's well out of gauge!
On the later ones they were hinged. It must have been fun getting the token off the arm and fitting the one for dropping down.

OzzyO.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Tony

What a wonderful sight........

........apart from the dodgy Detroit lubricator in the WD cab:)

Nice to see everything coming together. Just a dip in the weathering bucket now.

Cheers

Richard

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Looking Good Tony, especially the dub dee :thumbs: You could weigh that pile of waste etch in as scrap and afford another MOK kit :)) will there be a chance to see any of these beauties at Telford so I can drool on them :thumbs:

ATB Mick