7mm The Derby Line - Rolling Stock

dibateg

Western Thunderer
So as predicted - the new computer build went well, I used to do this sort of thing for a living - but dread it now. So with the nice weather today, I saw off 5 cans of paint ( some were already low ) to spray the Thompsons. Ongoing building work is suspended at the moment, if I can't do anything strenuous, at least I can do some modelling. So in the ruins of our old porch:-
P1010430.JPG

After using all my primer, I managed to cover everything and get some colour on the coaches. They will be left to dry now for a week or so:-

P1010433.JPG

Back to the Ivatts tomorrow - depending on the weather...

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Hi Tony

Could you provide some details of the Irwell book you mentioned in post #316 please?

Also, a friend would like to know if the kit caters for locos fitted with tablet catchers (I'd be surprised if it didn't!).

Regards

Dan

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan - the Irwell book is 'The Book of the Ivatt 4MTs LM Class 4 2-6-0s' by Ian Sixmith.

The tender is designed to have the tablet catcher cut out if required. I had a chat with Dave Sharp - there is no tablet catcher included in the kit, he is still trying to get drawings for them. I know CPL do a tablet catcher, but it might be a GW type rather than BR. I shall take a look at that at Guildex.

Regards
Tony

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan - the Irwell book is 'The Book of the Ivatt 4MTs LM Class 4 2-6-0s' by Ian Sixmith.

The tender is designed to have the tablet catcher cut out if required. I had a chat with Dave Sharp - there is no tablet catcher included in the kit, he is still trying to get drawings for them. I know CPL do a tablet catcher, but it might be a GW type rather than BR. I shall take a look at that at Guildex.

Regards
Tony

Hi Tony and Dan,
From memory there does not appear to be a drawing of the M&GN tablet catcher anywhere. On the SVR we had had thoughts about refitting them and one of our number was working on the project. Unfortunately progress has stopped but before that he had acquired a tablet catcher from the North Norfolk and he may have drawn it. I'll make enquiries, come and see me at Telford, stand 54.
Roger

AJC

Western Thunderer
BR is possibly a misnomer in the context of tablet catchers - I know that I've seen a picture in print somewhere of one with M&GNR cast into it - and fitted to a Ivatt 4MT. There's a strong likelihood that the real thing was reused from earlier locos (or, at the very least, the patterns were).

Adam

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Hi Tony and Dan,
From memory there does not appear to be a drawing of the M&GN tablet catcher anywhere. On the SVR we had had thoughts about refitting them and one of our number was working on the project. Unfortunately progress has stopped but before that he had acquired a tablet catcher from the North Norfolk and he may have drawn it. I'll make enquiries, come and see me at Telford, stand 54.
Roger
BR is possibly a misnomer in the context of tablet catchers - I know that I've seen a picture in print somewhere of one with M&GNR cast into it - and fitted to a Ivatt 4MT. There's a strong likelihood that the real thing was reused from earlier locos (or, at the very least, the patterns were).

Adam

There are 4 pages of photos and highly detailed drawings of both loco/tender-mounted and ground-mounted Whittaker Tablet exchange apparatus in Bob Essery's book 'The M&GN Jt Railway and its Locomotives'

Tony

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I spent yesterday rolling the boilers and shaping up the fireboxes. Even though I use a set of GW rollers, it's the one weak point in my constructional skills It just takes patience, careful work and no rushing. I did make a couple of tiny errors - not checking that the boiler edges were fully aligned before soldering up for one thing, but it was only fractional. I made the same mistake on the 8F, anyway that is fixed now. Apologies for the rough workshop shots taken during construction, the problem is I am taking them into the light..
P1010434.JPG

The firebox wrapper is thin - but that allows it to be shape easily to fit the transition ring casting. The only way to do this is to solder from the outside to ensure it is fully seated. One I prepared earlier is in the background
P1010438.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Next job was to attach boiler and smokebox to the cab. Then clean up and put on the boiler bands and other detail. The boiler bands were put on in their entirety and then ground back where not required. I deviated from the instructions and made the pipe conduit up as a separate unit, as I was not confident I could solder the cover on neatly enough next to the boiler. It is a separate item in any case and is only attached at it's bolting on points.
P1010443.JPG

Flat headed pins pass through holes in the mounting frame into the boiler:-

P1010444.JPG

So both engines are now at this stage:-
P1010453.JPG

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Hell's teeth Tony, they're coming on well. Out of interest, do you know roughly how many hours you've put into them so far?

Regards

Dan

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
At the pace things are happening, I do not think Tony has had any sleep at all since opening the boxes ;).

ATB,

Martyn.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Ah, well I've been sleeping a lot actually since I've been off work, but here is a rough guess at around 35 - 40 hours. A couple of weeks off work on the club only allowed to do light duties have helped! Had a rest day yesterday to go to a steam rally in Shrewsbury. I shall try and get some more done later, but it's back to work on Thursday.:(

Cheers

Tony

AJC

Western Thunderer
The speed of build must, in part, be testament to the quality of the kit. There are very few kits indeed where getting to this sort of point has resulted in a 'this is easy, surely it should have taken longer than this' sensation! From memory, only a couple of ABS whitemetal wagons and some Dave Bradwell etched NCB hoppers and 21t hopper chassis and a couple of Judith Edge locos have ever really fallen into that category.* This looks the same; most impressive.

Adam

*My High Level RSH saddletank might have joined them had it not been a succession of successful exercises in skill acquisition; through good design (as opposed to fault correction) I learnt an awful lot on that build.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Absolutely right Adam - I said earlier that this is the best kit I have ever built, probably surpassing the MOK 8F. Everything fits, so I'm not having to rework anything, or research photos and drawings to see how something should really look, and the castings are very clean, so cleaning up time is reduced. I can be pretty ham fisted at times, and already have made a couple of gaffs - I could have rolled the boilers and smokebox better, I could have done a tidier job with the boiler bands. I have had to unsolder and re do some items! The real locos were battered and bruised, I rather feel that we try to make our models too perfect. Hopefully my build will do this kit justice. I'm still learning - that's what I enjoy about building. I hope this thread passes on tips to other builders and is of interest to those who just enjoy loco building.

If anyone remembers that battle I had with the K3, that was completely at the other end of the spectrum.

Regards

Tony