Talerddig Mk ll: finally some fact instead of a lot of fiction

jonte

Western Thunderer
Limited progress due to illness, but managed a little bit of work tonight.

All I can say is it's getting there slowly...

View attachment 102574

Matt

Looks fabulous, Matt. You’ve managed to avoid the crater-sized chips that I’ve found with other methods e.g. Hairspray.

May I ask if you used the Mig product? If so, how did you find it?

Mine remains unopened, partly as I’ve not had the opportunity of using it and I’m not too keen on acrylics, but I know it’s a big hit over the Pond.

Whichever method you chose, it’s paid dividends.

Well done!

Jonte

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hi Jonte,

Thanks for your comment. I didn't use any specific products at all. I've tried the various chipping fluids but just can't get a finish that I'm happy with.

This chipping was all done with a combination of salt, masking fluid and a sponge. Not as trendy as Worn Effects fluid, but more convincing to me at least!

Matt

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hi Jonte,

Thanks for your comment. I didn't use any specific products at all. I've tried the various chipping fluids but just can't get a finish that I'm happy with.

This chipping was all done with a combination of salt, masking fluid and a sponge. Not as trendy as Worn Effects fluid, but more convincing to me at least!

Matt

Commendable stuff, Matt.

You seem to have it under control.

Regards,

Jonte

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Looking good Matt, if you're anything like me, the problem you have is repeating an effect you like the second time. When it comes to painting I pretty much make it up as I go along, trying out different things until it looks about right (or starting again when it doesn't). I should really make notes but that tends to blunt the flow...

matto21

Western Thunderer
Thanks Chris,

Funny thing is I don't mind if I can't repeat it. I've purposely chosen to tackle these individually, instead of in a batch, so that the colours and effects are subtly different and random each time. Plus, I don't have the mynadd to do more than one at a time anyway!

Matt

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Suppose I'm coming from the angle of trying to get some consistency between buildings built from the same stone. Some differences are definitely called for but they certainly need to look similar.

Nick Rogers

Western Thunderer
I've really enjoyed reading through your thread Matt, very good stuff. I look forward to your layout progressing.

Kind regards,

Nick.

AJC

Western Thunderer
A repeat of the photo at the top of this page a fortnight later... just for fun.

View attachment 102796

Matt

The weathering on those minerals is very nice, but do you have a photograph showing that combination of W irons and tiebar? I've not seen one.

There were certainly some 16 tonners with RCH type W irons, but these were generally pre-war private owners or company (LMS/LNE) built vehicles. Most, if not all of the Ministry of (War) Transport welded 16 tonners had what we think of as 'BR type' W irons with the holes for horse or capstan haulage. It's quite easy to convert the RCH type to the BR type if you want to with a bit of filler or plastic.

Tiebars on 16 tonners are a feature of those which were retro-fitted with Morton type vacuum brake in the mid-'60s which would, obviously, be a different colour. Probably best to take the tiebar off again, sorry.

Adam

matto21

Western Thunderer
No need to apologise Adam, I know they're wrong! I've not even seen a photo of a 16tonner with RCH W-Irons.

Back when I built these wagons in July last year, my sole purpose was to do something cheap with the unpainted Dapol RTR bodies. I had a suitable underframe from a damaged Parkside kit and purchased what I thought was another Morton underframe kit.

When the time came to do something with them, I realised my error but, being on paternity leave, with my daughter being two weeks old, and not knowing when I'd get the chance to model again, I decided not to sweat the small stuff!

But you're right, it is wrong, and I'll convert them to a representation of BR W-Irons which is why I haven't painted the underframe yet.

Matt