Suitable Filler For Resin Castings?

Neil

Western Thunderer
In a bid to make more of my castings usable I'm on the hunt for an easy to use filler that will stick to the castings. I had a punt with Humbrol plastic filler (more in hope than expectation) which was an utter failure. I have an idea that Milliput would work, but it's such a pain to mix, especially in the small amounts I would need. Any other ideas chaps?

28ten

Guv'nor
Squadron green or white, no mixing and it dries in 10 minutes. I have filled umpteen jltrt kits with it only problem is that rather like cyano you never use the whole tube before it dries up:)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
its never worked for me :(
The thing I like about Milliput for resin casting is is you can actually form the missing bits of castings roughly & it's dead easy to file/sand to the final shape, also the tinyist holes/flaws can easily be filled by adding a touch of water without using excess filler :)
The only downside is the as Neil says the mixing........I just get a sausage shape of each & need together for a couple of minutes (never had a problem with it not going off mixing like that);)
I must have got my Milliput about ten years ago & it's still great to use .........I've used it loads of times & still have half of it left :):thumbs:

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I never find it hard to mix. Small amounts I just roll between finger and thumb, a little water helps. :thumbs:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Like many such products, success and ease of use comes with practice. particularly the art of mixing correctly. I mix enough to have a small sausage left-over from the filling exercise.... this sausage then becomes a control to tell me when the filler has set and filing / sanding can commence.

regards, Graham

Simon

Flying Squad
All of the above sounds good, but my filler of choice is the two part epoxy woodfiller, goes off very quickly, cheap in the quantities we want it, and easy to knock into shape. Will also sand down to a finished surface.

The colour even matches:D

Relatively expensive as DIY fillers go, but my most recent tin was bought from my local hardware store at less than I expected. Various makes, branded probably better. Avoid Homebase.

(Sorry, that's just a general prejudice of mine based upon everything I've ever bought there:)))

Simon

Neil

Western Thunderer
Thanks for all the advice; it looks as though I'll be dusting off the packet of Milliput that lies at the back of the cupboard, ordering some Squadron filler over the net and keeping an eye out for two part epoxy wood filler at the hardware store in town. Further question for Simon, have you got a trade name for a specific brand of filler or will any generic two part epoxy wood filler do?

Simon

Flying Squad
Thanks for all the advice; it looks as though I'll be dusting off the packet of Milliput that lies at the back of the cupboard, ordering some Squadron filler over the net and keeping an eye out for two part epoxy wood filler at the hardware store in town. Further question for Simon, have you got a trade name for a specific brand of filler or will any generic two part epoxy wood filler do?

My current tin is branded Ronseal, but I don't think the make matters much, I've used loads of different ones over the years.

Simon

Debs.

Western Thunderer
Car body-shop/paint suppliers can be your friend!
If you want to 'fine fill' areas or joins, then use 3M Spot Putty*: it`s used commercially to fill sanding/scratch/swirl marks.......it`s ready to use, comes in giant, toothpaste-type tubes, applies smoothly, sets quickly and sands very easily.
*Of course: other brands of 'spot putty' are available and are roughly similar in application/use.

I use lots of car-body products in my work and also for modelling (they`re good value for money too).....e.g Polyester body-filler (aka 'Bondo'); is also great as a glue for temp. jigs/fixtures (fast setting and brittle-enough to 'tap free' subsequently, without breaking the things it`s attached-to.)

Red Spot Putty

Green Spot Putty

Neil

Western Thunderer
Thanks Debs, one more to try. At the moment I have some Squadron green putty on order (prefer not to have to mix two part fillers if I can avoid it) which I intend to try first but I welcome all suggestions.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
On an automotive theme, I've been using Holts Knifing Putty of late. It's stuck to the JLTRT resin alright, so should be OK with yours, but it does take quite a while to dry.

Neil

Western Thunderer
Update:- I've had the most success with a home brewed paste of talc and cheapo superglue, mixed up on an offcut of plasticard and applied with the tip of a craft knife blade.

Simon

Flying Squad
Update:- I've had the most success with a home brewed paste of talc and cheapo superglue, mixed up on an offcut of plasticard and applied with the tip of a craft knife blade.

Any particular scent?:))

Seriously, excellent creative use of "household" substances:thumbs:

Worth the "bodgers order of merit" I should think, third class at least:p

Simon