7mm Stroudley Park

Private Owner Wagons for Stroudley Park
  • SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
    Just for a change, a couple of appropriate Southern based PO wagons have been constructed from Slater's/ Powsides kits. All my open wagons are fitted with removable loads and the Woods & Co wagon is loaded with coke and the Martells wagon has graded coal.
    When the warmer weather finally arrives, they will receive a coat of weathering, as have all the other wagons on my layout My preference is to paint outdoors to keep the 'aromas' out of the house.
    There's two more Private Owner wagons on the workbench to keep me busy for the next few days, after that it's probably going to be finishing off a loco or two.
    Regards,
    Ian

IMG_2093.jpg

SR exLBSCR D3 Class 0-4-4 Tank
  • SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
    By way of a change and in an effort to finish many outstanding projects, I've reserected a shelf queen bought a while ago at GOG Kettering from the Bring and Buy stand. The origin is an old MSC kit with brass frames the thickness I've never seen before.
    That said, the kit frames were the inspiration for my first forray into scratch built compensated frames and to my suprise the whole ensemble run like a sewing machine. The kit is of an age and is pretty basic, particularly the backhead so I set about scratch building that too with the help of a drawing supplied by John Minnis. Spurred on by the backhead, I was tempted to build working cab doors which is another first for me.
    The smokebox door was suprisingly daunting, only a turned brass disc was included, all the other door furniture had to be scratch built and in total there's eight components in the door and it took all afternoon to make. I never planned to have a D3, but the price and scarcity of the kit was something I couldn't refuse and I'm really looking forward to seeing it painted in Maunsell lined green hauling a Balloon trailer or the twelve wheeled ex LBSCR directors saloon.
    Regards,
    Ian

IMG_2109.jpg

Southern Banana Vans
  • SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
    When banana imports were changed from Hull to Southampton, the Southern Railway found itself short of suitable vans to convey the goods. As LNER vans were standing idle, the SR hired them. The LNER vans were from a variety of LNER constituant companies and these exGE vans carried both SR and NE branding which is a real conversation piece.
    They are Connoisseur kits with some extra details from ABS parts ( how I miss them). The lettering came from a variety sources.

IMG_2336.jpg
    These vans will form part of a fitted head on a van train. At last, the back-log of unfinished kits has now gone.
    Regards,
    Ian

LBSCR Ground Signals
  • SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
    Just recently, because of my signal installing sessions, I decided to try my hand at building some working ground signals. The LBSCR used rotating type signals and these are available from the MSE range.
    I must admit, I struggled to fit the servo and operating linkage to get the signal to rotate from red to green. Thinking outside the (signal) box, the 2mm brass tube supplied in the kit is a perfect fit into the Heathcote servo. By mounting the servo directly under the signal, it operated perfectly and reduced the mounting footprint.
    Six ground signals have been made but only one has been finished in order to test and satisfy myself it will work as I wish, this signal is shown below.
    I'm not impressed with my painting of the white lines on the green aspect but as this signal is only 28mm high, it looks fine from normal viewing distance although it may get repainted.
    Regards,
    Ian

IMG_2415.jpg

Ace Kits - A Route to Scratchbuilding
  • SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
    Over time, I’ve heard many comments about Ace Locomotive Kits, many of them less than complimentary.
    However, after purchasing an unbuilt Ace LBSC K Class from a friend. Some of the comments I’ve heard have proven to be fairly accurate but in my opinion, the kit, as it comes, is buildable but not to the standard enjoy. So, here’s my take on Ace Kits.
    I agree they are not the highest standard but neither is the price. For me, the biggest bonus is this kit is leading me gently by the hand into scratch building.
    Attached is a picture of my K Class so far. It will have split frames and compensation. The nickel silver sections (firebox and cab roof) are scratch built replacements and the cab beading is made from annealed .7mm brass rod all of which have proved highly satisfying to make. All in all, I’m enjoying this build, mainly for two reasons:
    1) it will give me a useful loco to run on Stroudley Park.
    2) I never imagined I would be scratch building components such as described above.
    A picture of progress so far is shown below although it’s still very much a work in progress.
    E0DC91C9-D86B-4F90-B25D-73A7D187AB59.jpeg
    Regards,
    Ian

Brighton K Class Kwestjun!
  • SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
    My Ace K Class has progressed to the stage of build the backhead. Oh, what fun. It proving to be a protracted build but strangely satisfying. I’ve a great photograph from Southern Way (Shown below for reference) which will prove extremely useful for building the backhead. However, can anyone help with what the finger is pointing to please as I don’t know what it is or if it’s available from Laurie Griffin. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Regards,
    Ian

IMG_9422.jpeg

Ace Locomotive Kits K Class
  • SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
    What a milestone day this is. Construction on the K Class has drawn to close. Phew!
    When I started building this kit, I knew Ace had a reputation for components fitting where they touched. In some respects this kit wasn’t as bad as I expected but it wasn’t good either. If you want a ‘K’, it’s either tackle this kit or scratch build.
    The result is a mix of both. I kept finding bits that I wasn’t happy with so out came the brass/file/soldering iron for a re-work.
    The result is shown below although the loco will be subject to more cleaning up I am pleased I now have a handsome Brighton 2-6-0.
    If the class were named, I think I would have chosen the name: ‘Humbug’.
    Special thanks must go the Brian Dale for his encouragement and support. A fellow K aficionado, who’s previous postings on his build on Western Thunder proved immensely helpful.
    Thank you Brian.

IMG_9731.jpegIMG_9732.jpeg

I’ve got to find something else to build now.
    Regards,
    Ian

Stroudley Park Christmas Traffic
  • SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
    There is one fact about Stroudley Park that is not generally well known.

Under Station Road, there is a tunnel behind two large gates from the platform to the Royal Mail sorting office on the other side of the road. At this time of year, Stroudley Park is very busy with letters and parcels. The main tunnel access is just under the station building window to the left of the stop block lamp.
    IMG_9772.jpeg
    A train of two Mail coaches, one stowage and one sorting are usually shunted into the bay platform for loading and unloading.
    IMG_9792.jpeg
    It must be tea break time as there is no sign of the postal workers in the picture, maybe they were due for a break?
    IMG_9794.jpeg
    The Royal Mail coaches are built from Westdale kits and provide the opportunity to run something different
    Happy Christmas everyone.
    Regards,
    Ian

Last edited:
    Southern Gangwayed Bogie Luggage Van
  • SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
    IMG_9837.jpegA little late to play an active part in the Christmas traffic arrangements a recently completed CRT Kit now graces Stroudley Park’s metals.
    Purchased originally to run on a friends sadly now defunct garden railway, this vehicle makes up my Brighton-Bournemouth set comprising of two Maunsell high window brakes, a composite and a Pullman third. Thankfully the luggage Van will run as a stand alone vehicle when attached to a Van B with a guard on board.
    This van was an involved but enjoyable build (like all CRT kits) and I look forward to seeing it in Maunsell green when the warmer ‘painting weather’ arrives. That’s when the distinctive white painted window grills will be added.
    Wishing all on this inspirational and helpful group a very happy Christmas.
    Regards,
    Ian

LBSCR Arc Roof Third
  • SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
    Time for another coach while I’m in the coach-building mood.
    In my stash of unbuilt kits is an Alan Gibson arc roof third and I have a question for all you knowledgeable Western Thunderers out there concerning the accumulator cabinets on the drawing in the kit.
    IMG_0057.jpeg

My question is this:
    Are the accumulator boxes shown on the drawing in the Isle of Wight location or would they have been in that location on the mainland thirds in Southern days?
    Thank you for your help.
    Regards,
    Ian

Weathering Removal New
  • SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
    In the past, I’ve always used my airbrush in the garage for weathering using Floquil weathering colours (all necessary health precaution were taken).
    Recently, I thought I’d try the latest trend using more user friendly paint. The effect I was hoping to achieve is a clean, lightly weathered, cared for finish. I am not pleased with the result as the Terrier looks too grubby and should have been much more subtle.
    Is there a way to remedy the situation without destroying the paint underneath?
    The weathering was in oil paint. When I was an art student, I’ll paint used to take ages to dry, so I thought I would be able to ‘work’ the weathering until I was pleased with it but it dried quicker than enamels.

IMG_1289.jpeg
    Regards,
    Ian

Last edited: