St. Mary Hoo - P4 Southern Region third rail

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
It's a hugely inspiring model, Pete, and if your drawing became available... who knows what might appear on the mud flats of the Hoo?!! I'm really looking forward to seeing Heather's photos...

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
Continuing the boat theme (which is relevant to the future extensions) here is my radio controlled coaster. In RC terms, this is a tiny model (smaller than 4mm scale and close to 2mm to the foot) and measures around 16 inches long and just under 3" wide. It has micro electronics neatly hidden away in its tiny hold (motor; rc receiver; speed controller, etc). The model is typical of steam coasters seen up and down the UK right up to the late 1960's and early 70's. A few have survived onto preservation, but nothing as large as the one represented by my model. The vessel is partially complete and has a few bits of minor damage. The mast needs painting and weathering; the starboard bridge light needs replacing (it got knocked off) and part of the bow keel needs minor repairs. The hull will receive a far more convincing weathering job in due course. I have some scale maritime figures and I may add some working lights. A lovely little model all told that looks as sweet as a nut out on the water! CIMG000i.jpg CIMG000k.jpg CIMG001L.jpg

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
The class 73 operating off the third rail. Although in some respects the Dapol model has surpassed the old Lima/Hornby stalwart, my model is every bit as detailed as its newer successor, and even has a more detailed underframe, and of course has working third rail pick ups. The entire chassis was rebuilt, and the bogies are almost scratch built items with separate cable runs (using fuse wire); new sand boxes and in line brake gear. Mine still needs separate hand rails adding and maybe slightly beefier jumper cables. I did have some etched windscreen wipers for it too, but I can't lay my hands on them. It will be weathered more convincingly, especially on the roof. It's a joy to operate this humble loco, being 100% reliable; smooth; quiet and extremely responsive. Because of the third rail it seems impossible to stall it! CIMG000m.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Look out everybody, WT is going maritime! Just keep up with the railway connections and we might not get into too much trouble!

What a classic beastie that coaster is, it looks great even now. Lighting would really bring it to life. I used to be able to look out of our front room window at all the ships moored opposite awaiting berths up river or gliding steadily under way. At night their lights cast twinkling reflections on the water. We used to have a book handy to identify the lines and would try and guess what their cargoes might be! There seemed to be so many of them at the time (in the mid 1960's) yet that traffic was in serious decline. I can barely imagine what it had been like!

Ah, all those memories!

Pete.

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
I think from now on Peter, all WT members will have to start using nautical terms when posting on the forum! Where you live sounds idyllic and right up my street; would it be somewhere like Yarmouth? As you probably know, I was born in Suffolk and lived there until I was seven. I have vague memories about places such as Dunwich; Saxmundham and Southwold. I'd love to revisit the county at some stage.

All the best
Simon

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
for stories about Thames sailing barges, oyster smacks and others working on the east coast, I recommend the books by Hervey Benham: "Down Tops'l" and "Last Stronghold of Sail", published in 1951 and 1948 respectively.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Or any books by Maurice Griffiths, but particularly "The Magic of the Swatchways". I like the idea of using Nautical terms one I've always liked is Baggywrinkles could be applied to some of my early model painting and needing something like a baggywrinkle to clean the mess up.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I remember going to the Pool of London with my dear departed father whom I used to meet after work (he was in Beech Street, now in The Barbican and at seven years old I'd travel by tube from Queensbury on the Bakerloo Line to meet him after work - imagine doing that now with the changes of trains involved!) I seem to remember we were going to Greenwich and had walked to Tower Bridge and in front of what is now County Hall (the new one) where there were warehouses was a coaster, "Baltrover" by name - I'll never forget it. I couldn't read the name across the river and that was the moment we realised that I needed glasses. I was distraught - I mean, how many women would fancy a guy in NHS glasses - and don't forget that this was long before John Lennon made them fashionable?

The reason for this description is to say that it is well within a lifetime that we've seen the Pool of London go from a thriving, noisy port to apartments for rich people. In fact when he was pretty small we took Steph to the warehouses which were empty and derelict (he's not as young as he looks!) and it was so atmospheric. A drive along the North bank of the Thames as far as the Woolwich Ferry showed row upon row of warehouses and those atmospheric cranes - those which dipped as Churchill's Funeral Barge passed by. Speaking of which I must find the photos.......

WT is wonderful in the way it keeps striking chords.

Brian

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Ah, no alas! I've now been in the furthest corner of Suffolk for too many years now, a long way from the coast! But to quote Spike Milligan;
"I have the sea in my blood, and you can see where it gets in!"
It was my Father's side that were born and raised in the shadow of the docks at Wapping, and although we were living out in the country at Hainault (on the Central Line) his idea of a pleasant Sunday afternoon was to take the river bus from Tower Pier to Greenwich!
Dad then sold his business, and we all moved to Thorpe Bay, Southend. We stayed there, over the shop on the sea front and were immersed in the youth and pop culture of the period (Procol Harem and all that) for two years at his coffee bar that had previously been known as the "Shades".

A long time ago now!

Cheers, Pete.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I shall crave one further indulgence and share my photos of Hoo St Werburgh.

Living only a few miles from the Hoo Peninsula, I have formed an odd kind of fondness for the area. It is a place apart, within sight of London, yet strangely other. Although it strikes the visitor as an unspoilt primeval wasteland, it is in fact an area that has seen much military and industrial use in the not-too-distant past. Residents of the scattered communities have strong and deep ties to the place. I can understand why.

My preference is to visit when the tide is either at maximum or minimum, and as the sun rises. I haven't fully explored the Thames shore, but I've done a fair amount of the Medway side.

March Dawn

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
It is a place apart, within sight of London, yet strangely other.

March Dawn
I love these photos. My family (father's side) is proper Cockney so I'm really empathetic with these photos. We're going way off piste at the moment so, unless there's an outpouring of "keep it here", and assuming that Simon's comfortable about us taking a bit of a side track, we should, perhaps, go in to PMs off line?

More photos, Heather. They are wonderful.

Brian

Colin Parks

Hi Simon,

There are some really nice photos on here! The 2 BIL is coming on well and it occurred to me that I should send you some air pipes to replace those guitar string renditions of the vac. pipes - which are incorrect. (Fitted in the early days of EMU model building!) Excellent photo of the 73. There can't be many better in any scale...

All the best,

Colin

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Here are some pics for amusement: A photo of a 10 year old ship modeller and a sketch that I drew from that same balcony at around the same time.
Finally, a slightly more recent painting of a special and unique electric train that represents particularly fond memories.

I had flirted with the idea of building a 5'' gauge ride on version, even getting as far as preparing some drawings, but hey, ho, It's good to dream!

Pete.

tb 161 eastern esplanade April 1967 002.jpg tb eastern esplanade 1967 sketch 2.jpg pt 22-66 b.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon

Seeing your Cl73(JB) reminded me that I converted a Lima JA to P4 around 25 years ago using the drive bogies from a Roco SBB Re4/4 iv, as they scaled out to the correct wheelbase for the JA, and a home made chassis. The bogies where re-wheeled with Alan Gibson P4 wheels and this is the only P4 item I have left since moving up to O scale. Alas it has lost a few bits along the way....

Lima JA 1.jpg
Lima JA 2.jpg

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
Many thanks Pete, Geof, Alan, Brian, Dave, Heather and Colin! I think I've included everyone!! Some fascinating information there; it's funny how the sea; boats and trains spark such incredible feelings and enthusiasm for so many; me included. Maybe it's our small island that does it? Rather than a nation of shopkeepers, I'd say a nation of seafarers. Heather please feel free to add any photos you want here because we'll all love em for sure! In the meantime, in amongst the salt air and boats I will be adding more progress photos of the layout. The junction point testing will happen this week, and if successful, I may even start building the new baseboards! I may also start work shortly turning the old fiddle yard into a scenic part of the new extension.

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon

Seeing your Cl73(JB) reminded me that I converted a Lima JA to P4 around 25 years ago using the drive bogies from a Roco SBB Re4/4 iv, as they scaled out to the correct wheelbase for the JA, and a home made chassis. The bogies where re-wheeled with Alan Gibson P4 wheels and this is the only P4 item I have left since moving up to O scale. Alas it has lost a few bits along the way....

View attachment 56388
View attachment 56389

That looks lovely Dave! What a nice looking model and an interesting drive solution; being Roco it will run magnificently of course (like all their locos). It just shows how good the original Lima body moulding was; every bit as good as the Dapol version, without the fictitious raised roof ventilator panel that Dapol produced by magic! Thanks for posting the photos!

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

There are some really nice photos on here! The 2 BIL is coming on well and it occurred to me that I should send you some air pipes to replace those guitar string renditions of the vac. pipes - which are incorrect. (Fitted in the early days of EMU model building!) Excellent photo of the 73. There can't be many better in any scale...

All the best,

Colin

Welcome aboard Colin! Great to see you on WT at last. I hope you'll eventually post updates on the forum about your P4 plans and project.

All the best
Simon