Soldering A Right Angle Hands Free - Any Suitable Former?

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

I've got to solder 2 long strips (about 18inches) of thin brass onto a flat base. I need a perfect 90 degree right angle fit but there are no groove to fit the brass into. Does anyone have a method they use/can recommend for holding/clamping the piece of brass at a right angle whilst leaving my hands free to solder and not get burnt?

Do you think using a square length and then pinning in place with blue-tack to then tack solder would work or leave a big mess when the blue tack gets heated?

Cheerss

Tom

marsa69

Western Thunderer
At a guess if you had an 18 inch piece of aluminium angle then you could place the brass strips into the v of the angle and spot solder all along there length to avoid joining them to the ally. Then it's a case of check how square they are then finish off soldering normally. No doubt someone more experienced will come along with an easier way :p

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
At a guess if you had an 18 inch piece of aluminium angle then you could place the brass strips into the v of the angle and spot solder all along there length to avoid joining them to the ally. Then it's a case of check how square they are then finish off soldering normally. No doubt someone more experienced will come along with an easier way :p

Thanks Mark,

I meant 90 degrees. I have edited accordingly now.

Cheers

Tom

JimG

Western Thunderer
Instead of alloy angle as mentioned above, you could use planed timber to hold the strip at right angles. You won't get the heat dissipating through the alloy angle and you would get in and out faster with the soldering iron which could reduce expansion problems.

Jim.