Simons shop

bogusman

Western Thunderer
Had a very pleasant time in Bath today at Simon's shop a good chat and an excellent cup of tea :thumbs:. So if any of you chaps have not visited his excellent emporium may I suggest you try as the welcome is most hearty and warm and the selection of books is superb as I purchased a few titles myself.

Pete 

Simon

Flying Squad
Hi Pete

Rally nice to meet you and thank you for taking the trouble to come out to the shop, I hope your wife had a good time shopping in Bath.

Your models are lovely, the backheads especially are quite something. I will have to give that Chaos Black spray a try, it had certainly worked well on your Collett goods.

With all due respect to the products of Hornby, Bachmann etc well built models such as yours built out of appropriate thicknesses of material still leave even the best of RTR in the shade.

I look forward to seeing the big bulleid take shape!

All set for the visit of the horse to the shop tomorrow, lets hope the current rain doesn't all turn into glassy ice overnight.

Meanwhile "Tornado" will be going through on the main line, which I will have to miss :(

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Simon said:
I will have to give that Chaos Black spray a try, it had certainly worked well on your Collett goods.
So is it to be unlined black for the 22XX, Pete? Have I missed some photos of it in it's painted condition?

Simon said:
All set for the visit of the horse to the shop tomorrow
Am I missing something here?!  :eek:

Simon

Flying Squad
Its been a busy weekend down at the bookshop.

Friday night saw Kirsten Elliott launching and signing her new K&A canal book and on Saturday Ian Cryer visited with Truman and Hamish to sign and talk about his "Rachael the Railway Horse" series of books from Wild Swan.

Saturday night also saw me saying a few words about the Titfield Thunderbolt before a showing of the film in Monkton Combe village hall, sold a few more bits and even better have been lent some nice photographs of the cast/crew during the making of the film in 1952. All that and a decent visit to the "Wheelwrighths" too ;D

Here are some photos of the horsey side of things yesterday. Truman is a very impressive shire horse aged 24 years.

A fine looking beast indeed.

Attachments

• Truman1.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Truman2.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Truman3.jpg
    800.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Truman3a.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Truman4.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 0

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
My dad too learned to plough with shire horses while serving an apprenticeship to farming. The last of 10 generations all farming the same farm. It does make doing the family tree very easy. 8)

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Yes although there are some nice early tractors about in 1:43 scale. The wife has just bought me a couple as wrap ups for Christmas to go on the implement wagon.

I suspect a lot of farmers were still too tight fisted in the fifties to buy a tractor when work horses were still plentiful and I include my grandfather in that - he was still delivering farm bottled milk by horse and cart at the time.

bogusman

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon
I am glad Saturday went without no issues and I hope you got some publicity from the local papers as small local bookshops should be supported as there are not too many around and I know you get that personal touch more so than when dealing with large booksellers. As for the captains enquiry the collett will be in GWR 1936 livery in the near future (I will disappear into the shed over christmas with my darth vadar mask on ready to do battle with the airbrush :))).

Pete