7mm Scruft's Junction:- Down the Garden path

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

I found that Hampshire Models have an Ebay Shop

- Hampshire Models | eBay Stores

and the first item on their 'home page' is Railmatch acrylic paints, I followed the link and checked the colours available, they GWR Light and Dark stone are out of stock. I will contact them to ask for likely restock dates and let the congregation know.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
found the website

hampshiremodels.co.uk

and phone number

logged in and there are two options for the Railmatch paints, one is modern and general and the other is Big 4, clicked on that and the GWR light and dark stone are available so ordered some of each, I’ll keep the enamel version in reserve.

cheers

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
there was/is a series of lists of car paints equivalents to our preferred railway colours.

I wonder if we could create another to link the easily available Warhammer/Games Workshop paints to those we might have use for. My efforts so far have not been conclusive, but my experience with the paints is positive. It would be so handy on occasions to be able to nip into a local shop and pick up what you need, rather than order online. Also Vallejo equivalents.

atb
Simon

Spike

Western Thunderer
Progress over the last few days has been focused on finishing the spraying of the goods shed. I had reached the point of masking the doors for GWR dark stone.

IMG_6090.JPG

A coating of the dark stone later and the result is rather effective.
IMG_E6105.JPG

The roof I decided to spray with Citadel air brush paint called Ironbreaker to represent corrugated iron in its fresh form. I will be going on to weather the roof. The paint is perhaps a bit thin and as such does require mutliple coats. Luckily the weather today aided drying. It did not cover very well on the edges, therefore I resorted to normal citadel paint to touch up the patches that were showing the primer.

IMG_6110.JPG

Final job for the moment was painting the gutters by hand, I tried to mask up but gave up and decided by hand was easier. The inside of the gutters has been painted black whilst the outside has been painted in Dark Stone.

One last step was to put it on the base and step back and look at the finished paint job before weathering.
IMG_6113.JPG

Regards
Peter

Spike

Western Thunderer
9 Months have passed, whilst updates have not been written, there has been work on the railway. My version of Mierystock bridge is nearing completion. Three boards are setup in the shed currently and have been pain stakingly had their track fixed and then painted, with the sleepers and chairs weathered differently across the three lines to give an impression of track being relayed.

Finally the stone wharf has seen progress and has had its stone work added all round with the flagstones to be added in the coming week once the filler has dried.

Mierystock Bridge
I only have these two photos for the nearly finished bridge, I forgot to document the progress as I went.
The bridge has depron scribed to reflect the stone work, with brick embossed plasticard used to form the underside of the arches. Still to be added are string courses and capping stones along with a paint job.
IMG_6822.JPG

IMG_6823.JPG

Trackwork
As mentioned above for the trackwork I have been trying to reflect different ages, the front line past the stone wharf is deemed to be the eldest and the timbers have been weathered using a number of shades of grey and silver. The chairs have also been suitably aged.
IMG_6828.JPG

The middle line is not as old and has been drybrushed with a mixture of brown and grey. The chairs are a different GWR style and are weathered to reflect the track has been relied in the past few years. In the photo below I have just started weathering the timbers on the right hand board trying to match them to the left hand section which was weathered about 5+ years ago.

IMG_6827.JPG

Stone Wharf
My go to material of depron was scribbed to give the stone work effect for the Wharf. A day of madness followed, painting 90% of the stones on the 18 inch by 4 inch piece of Depron, picking out stones one by one. I ended up using about 10 different shades of grey and brown/tan to create the overall effect.
IMG_6839.JPG

Once happy the Depron was cut to size and fitted to the edges of the stone wharf and trimmed to size.
IMG_6842.JPG
Final step for the weekend was to build up the top surface to match the height of the wharf to give a flat surface for the flagstones to be stuck down.

IMG_6843.JPG

Regards
Peter

Last edited: