Removing the screws in Slaters wheels

Susie

Western Thunderer
If you're going to machine the wheels to S7 standards the axles will be no good to you anyway, so just cut them in half with an hacksaw. The stub can then be held in a lathe and the screws drilled out far more easily than using a pillar drill.

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thank you all for your suggestions re-the driving wheels fixing. If I need to get that wheel off after Christmas I'll give it a go!

Brian

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Loctite is good stuff but you have to use the correct grade for the job, parts that are threaded and need to be removed at some point should use a 'nut' lock usually blue in colour, Loctite 242, parts that are to be fixed such as crank assemblies require 'studlock' which will be red in colour Loctite 270 will be the one to use.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
It depends on the age of the wheel - the last set of wheels I got from Slaters was actually a torq socket, so whilst an allen key would work it would round off quite quickly whereas you'll get a better fit from a torq driver.

Some photos here #169

Torq driver I use
View attachment 176583
Not seen torque screws in Slaters wheel packs Adrian ?. Slater's don't list a driver for them either and you would assume that they would list a torq driver for the screws ?
The Allen key size for the normal 3/16" axle screws is stated as 1.27 A/F .
Col.

JeremyC

I have had the screw socket round out on a number of axles purchased recently and I notice that the screws were bright rather than the blackened ones previously supplied. I happened to phone Slaters on another matter and mentioned the problem. They said they were now making their own screws due to the cost of bought in ones and that they were making the socket deeper, which makes me think the screws they are manufacturing are not being hardened hence the problem.
(From what Adrian says it looks as if they might have moved to a Torx socket to resolve the issue though their website is still saying they are using Allen sockets)

adrian

Flying Squad
Not seen torque screws in Slaters wheel packs Adrian ?. Slater's don't list a driver for them either and you would assume that they would list a torq driver for the screws ?
The Allen key size for the normal 3/16" axle screws is stated as 1.27 A/F .
The torq driver I'm using is 1.3 "A/F"

If you look at the photo's I posted then the manufacturing method appears to be the I/D hole is drilled then a broach to add the "corners". The shape will appear to work with either an allen key or a torq driver. However the corner lobes are rounded not angular so it just seems to suit the torq driver better and less chance of rounding off than with an allen key.

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

snap, I have the 0.05 version too, very handy tool and always kept in the same place in the toolbox as I'm getting more forgetful every day!!!!

Seasons greetings to all.

Mike

markjj

Western Thunderer
Typical. Presumably they’ve changed to Torx specifically because I bought a couple of Wera hex drivers, 050, and 035 for Slaters screws, (they’re imperial, obviously). :)

they’re not cheap, but they fit properly and they’re not made of cheese.

View attachment 176648
Slaters seem to be having problems getting a few things at the mo. I dont know if its connected to the war. I have been trying to get their solid machined coach wheels for almost a year but they have now gone from.their website. When I last ordered them I got told they couldn't get hold of the steel bar they make them from.
On the tool note it's always worth buying good tools I have a range of Swiss tools screwdrivers and allen drivers that I have been using for a few years now they outlast any other tools you can buy.

simond

Western Thunderer
Yep, just got the wheels for my BigBig Hymek, excellent, prompt, only briefly delayed in the post.

Unfortunately, the gears are another story, Ultrascale have an 8-month waiting list warning on their website. :(

markjj

Western Thunderer
Hi. What do you mean by inside profile an tapered axle ?

Colin
Slaters wheels are dished on the inside and the axle has the correct shape as per the real thing.
Yes its hidden under the coach but if you go to the extent of building coaches and wagons that look like the real thing you might as well add all the rest of the detail.
Look at the photo on Slaters website and you will see what they look like.
I have attached a Slaters wagon wheel set to show the taper on the axle. Excuse the Slaters free rust lol
20221223_103548.jpg

Renovater

Western Thunderer
Slaters wheels are dished on the inside and the axle has the correct shape as per the real thing.
Yes its hidden under the coach but if you go to the extent of building coaches and wagons that look like the real thing you might as well add all the rest of the detail.
Look at the photo on Slaters website and you will see what they look like.
I have attached a Slaters wagon wheel set to show the taper on the axle. Excuse the Slaters free rust lol
View attachment 176683
Thanks for coming back so quickly and thanks as well for the photo. I don't know these wheels but i do have the Roxey ones that's why i'm interested in finding out more. Looking at your photo, unless my eyes are going wrong i can see the taper on the axle going into the middle, the question is, what's it for ?

Cheers, Colin.

Last edited:

markjj

Western Thunderer
Thanks for coming back so quickly and thanks as well for the photo. I don't know these wheels but do i have the Roxey ones that's why i'm interested in finding out more. Looking at your photo, unless my eyes are going wrong i can see the taper on the axle going into the middle, the question is, what's it for ?

Cheers, Colin.
To be honest I dont know what it's for but it's how the real thing is or was.
I'm sure there will be someone in the know that can give you the correct answer.