Red Engines?

AndyB

Western Thunderer
Time to introduce myself I guess.
So why does someone who likes red engines (am I allowed to say that??!) want to hang out here? Well, it seems to be the best forum around for large fine-scale modelling in a variety of scales.
My interest now is in Gauge 3 (having progressed through 4mm & 7mm scales over the years then played with 12" scale road steam for a bit), and the Midland railway in particular - though I have a liking for some blue engines; those designed by Johnson on the Great Eastern before he moved !!
I'm just about to launch my first etched-brass kit - as far as I know it is the first brass goods wagon kit to be designed from scratch as a G3 model and not blown up from a smaller scale.

Andy

AndyB

Western Thunderer
Come on Andy show and tell:thumbs:
Oh...all right then.
The background is on the Gauge 3 Forum - here (I think you can view threads and see the pix without having to register).
The first trial build is shown in my avatar, with a second one having enough completed to prove out the major variants.
I'm just waiting for the leaf spring castings which should arrive early next week - then I'll take a few more pictures.
Writing the last bits of the instructions at the moment - a really time consuming job - taking, cropping & annotating photos, creating sketches, etc.

Hopefully (first time I've tried posting pix here), here's a view of the underframe (with a few bits missing)

index.php

Andy

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Hi Andy
Have a second welcome from me :)
The wagon looks great in that shot, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one :D
Steve

AndyB

Western Thunderer
Thanks for your welcomes and compliments on the kit. Had quite a successful launch last Saturday, and 2 members here now have one - so I'm looking forward to some progress reports and pictures from them.
As I've done nothing on the domestic side for the past 6 weeks whilst getting the kits ready, the completion and more pictures of mine may be delayed a little............
As to loco's - The G3 Venture (LNWR 'Cauliflower') is progressing and will be a finescale live steamer with alternative electric propulsion.
Plans also being hatched for a MR 0-4-0T - ideal for an indoor G3 railway.

Andy

AndyB

Western Thunderer
I particularly like the axleboxes:cool:
The axleboxes were solid modelled (AutoCAD), then masters made using stereolithography. The first set of lost-wax castings (shown in the picture) weren't actually that good - a lot of shrinkage and poor definition. A new caster has been used for the 'production' batch - double the cost but the quality is far better and they fit 'as-cast'.
Most of the solid model was easy to do (straight from works drawings) but there was one part (where various fillets come together) that just didn't make sense - a short trip out was needed to see a real axlebox (Midland Railway Centre) which showed that the draftsman was using the full extent of his license - and some.....

Andy