Putting links in posts

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
OK, I admit it, I need help.
No, not that kind..well, not yet anyway :D

I seem to have lost the ability to put links in posts. My memory has it as

[ u r l = " w w w . a n y a d d r e s s o r l i n k "] Write something witty or useful here [ / u r l ]

which used to work (without all of the extra spaces). However, I've tried numerous times tonight, swapping " for ', adding www. etc until I'm out of ideas (and links).

Please can someone post up where I'm going wrong.

Many Thanks
Cookie

adrian

Flying Squad
If you want to use the url tags then you need to switch to the BB code editor which is done by pressing the AA button in the top right hand corner.

The default now is the rich text editor. For that just paste the link in directly and it will automatically turn it into a hyperlink.

http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/details-for-7mm-mk2s.2403/#post-64718

If you want to change the text then write the text, highlight the bit you want as the link and press the button in the editor that looks like a chain link. Up will pop a little dialog box into which you can paste the link.Unfortunately the link formatting is pale blue and not that obvious so I usually change it to underline and dark blue just to make it obvious that it is a link. That's another thing on my job list to change this default formatting.

Hope that helps

Adrian

mickoo

Western Thunderer
No need for any of that for a simple web page link.

At the top of your browser is usually an address link, most if you left click at some point to the left of the writing will highlight all the text, if not then place cursor in address bar at the end of the text, left click and hold and then move mouse to the right to highlight all the text. Once highlighted let go of left mouse button and then simply press CTRL + C on your keyboard (basic MS copy command), this text is now stored on your PC in the clipboard (clipboard only stores one item!)

Go to your message to wish to add the link to, place cursor where you wish link text to start and simply press CTRL + V (basic MS command to paste)

A link to this thread here

http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/putting-links-in-posts.3006/

will appear like this.

That's the simple way to add an address into a message. However if you wish to appear clever LOL, the forum allows another way, all you do is add your link text, on this case 'cookies link', simply write your required text, then as above you need to copy the address you wish to link to into your clipboard (CTRL + C), now go back to your text and highlight that (left click and drag cursor over). Once your text is highlighted I tend to make it bold and maybe italic so that it stands out, these commands are at the top of each new message you write, just to the left of those commands is one that looks like a chain, click this and then CTRL +V your address link into the nag box and click ok, your bespoke text is now a link.

cookies link

No need to remember anything, the forum does it all for you.

I can provide pictures (screen grabs of the process) if you think it may help.

Kindest

Addendum

Late to the party again LOL, must type faster!

adrian

Flying Squad
Adrian,
Your recipe for a 100% "method" of identifying a link, other than putting some text to say... "link is here".... is welcome!
I just use the buttons on the rich text editor the U and the A to the left of the smilie. It works 100% of the time for me so I'm struggling to work out what can be going wrong for a 25% success rate.

I think the best thing is for me to have a dig around the forum software and see if I can change the default setting so that it happens automatically for everyone!

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I just use the buttons on the rich text editor the U and the A to the left of the smilie. It works 100% of the time for me so I'm struggling to work out what can be going wrong for a 25% success rate.

I think the best thing is for me to have a dig around the forum software and see if I can change the default setting so that it happens automatically for everyone!

Works every time for me too, however it is important to change the text colour, underline or italics before making it a link, if you do it the other way around then the text can sometimes alter from what you originally had, so, edit text first....then make it a link.

adrian

Flying Squad
Lets see how this works then! First screencast for me, voice is horrible and quality is not brilliant but you can switch to the high def version if required and mute if need be!!. Unfortunately not worked out yet how to link to the high def version directly.

Is this want was requested or is something else required or not clear?

mickoo

Western Thunderer

LOL funnily the lads at work found just the same and ribbed me about it there! I might just get one to poke them back :thumbs:

We do have the first call next Monday of the Triple E class 'Majestic Maersk' on her maiden voyage, I've already picked my crane vantage points for her arrival and booked 60/40 sun for the photos!

My manager joked about sending me on a job at 14:00 when it arrives, told him if it was an issue I'd just book the day off, not missing this for the world! It's only a promo call and we're loading 2500 empties on her as a speed trial, if we're good then they Maersk may add Felixstowe to the rotation, if we screw it up then this'll probably be the only call for a good few years of a Triple E.

All I need do is now try and blag a bridge pass from the PR staff, they owe me for all the photos they've published for free, a deck pass I can probably get through work as an engineer 'driver reports cell guide issues on 32 underdeck' just need to check them LOL.

Flying squad permitting, I'll post up the better of the photos I take here.

Anyway, back OT, I see you've worked out how to do links :thumbs: