PMP's snapz

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Kewl :thumbs:

Took the liberty of cleaning it up a little LOL, removed the sun sprite some twigs and plants and applied a smoothing filter to get rid of the noise and smooth out the image.
ecml-001.JPG

Reactions: PMP

PMP

Western Thunderer
Cheers Mick, makes a difference, I would have only taken out the twig to the sprite, I tend to work on wysiwyg. I must admit though, for a phone the 5s is a chuffing good camera.

Last year I changed to a smart phone and started with the Sony Experia Z1 as that was being advertised with 12mp and a brilliant camera. It was fine as a phone, but utterly :shit: as a camera. The close ups were ok, but anything like the above was heavily pixelated and contrast/detail no where near as sharp as the iPhone. It was most pronounced on zoom shots and landscapes. I had it for two days and took it back, much to the surprise of the shop assistants because the camera was crap, and that was the reason for choosing that model/brand. I'd seen a mates iphone4S pics and thought they looked good and traded up a bit to the iphone5 and haven't looked back, it is very very good.

The shot above was taken this morning along with a few others, the only manipulation I've done is in instagram where they have an app that adds 'light' which works really well with these 'contre-jour' shots. What is obvious is that the iphone5 is recording the contrast detail which may be useful for grab shots of underframe details and things like that. Battery life isn't brilliant, I only get a day out of it with heavy web use, but no different to the Sony, and only turn on 'location service' when I really need it, as that consumes battery power. I do bear in mind that I am using it like a laptop, and those only last 6 hours or so for a good one.

And it still goes 'ring ring', and sends texts.

Genius!

mickoo

Western Thunderer
It has come out quite well I must admit, I'd probably of walked forward a few yards and stood next to the OHLE post and got more more train in, but then your angle would have been a little more to the left and almost full face into the sun. Sadly I'm old school, phones for ringing, cameras for photos :thumbs:

I rarely shoot direct into the sun and prefer an oblique angle so the sun highlights the sides so to speak, but I did manage this one last week and only the clouds saved it or else the sun would of burnt out most of the image, but the rays were the effect I was looking for and post editing managed to drag them back and give a little light to the rear end, which was in almost complete darkness. It's amazing how adaptable the human eye is at digesting dark areas even in the face of really bright sun, cameras rarely come close to the spectrum of light the eye can cope with.

11969141465_577ea5bec5_z.jpg
Maersk Kiel by Mickoo737, on Flickr

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
View attachment 28176

ECML this morning, Gamston Bank

Very nice picture, in difficult lighting conditions.

I know that location very well, a few yeas ago I was out with the camera when an old guy walked upto the foot crossing turned and walked along the 4ft towards Newark! I picked up the crossing phone spoke to the signaller who stopped all traffic & called BTP.

The guy was upset and had apparently walked to the crossing from a care home :-(

Dave

PMP

Western Thunderer
I'm old school, phones for ringing, cameras for photos :thumbs:

You won't find me disagreeing with that, but digging out the 400 2.8 on the school run would be a pain in the bum! For a phone it is a very good camera, most of my printed stuff nowadays is done with a Canon G10, or I get tooled up with a 1DmkII for sports and 'serious' stuff!

out.jpg

_B6O2766.jpg

_B6O4457.jpg

rgds

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Pimp,
you tinker, you kept quiet about the 'J'! Anymore of it and it's predecessor at home in the Valleys? Was it taken at the Mac Loop?

Simon

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I get tooled up with a 1DmkII for sports and 'serious' stuff!

rgds

I'll go back to the rear of the class with my 40D then :oops: mind I did splash out on L series lenses, working on the theory that if I ever get to a 1D then I'll already have the best glass available.

Must try and get to the Valleys, looks a spectacular spot for low level aircraft photography, I presume they fly down there most days, knowing my luck i'd sit there all day and only see sparrows and finches!

PMP

Western Thunderer
Mr T, I have some others in stock, a comparison of dates and time may prove of interest, assuming you filled all the lines in properly. I used to go quite a lot to the Valleys, but used to climb to unusual locations so as not to get the same shots as everone else. With the drawdown of the frontline fleets there are days when nothing happens at all through the valleys, a few years back we had Zero days, I imagine its even worse now, especially after a 3-400 mile round trip.:(

The 40D is a good camera, combined with 'L' lenses you'll get excellent results. I started digital with a 10D and 'L's moving up from 1NHS and Eos3 as back up body, (excellent paper weights now). Doing floodlit football photography the lower spec bodies weren't up to the job, with drives not fast enough and buffering/download speed, as well as the chassis' not being as durable, so I quickly moved on from the 10D getting a second hand studio 'back up' mkII. Getting high quality secondhand saves you shed loads of cash and allows much more bang for buck
67024em.jpg
Another Ip Hone pic from this morning

SimonT

Western Thunderer
O for the good old days of 20+ fast jets in Wales. But then I would be 24 again. Ok, so far this is a good plan.
As most of my aviation in the last 10 years was either in hot sandy places or horsing around with FRADU at silly heights over the Ogsplosh, I doubt that I will feature in your stock. But a viewing would be good!

Neil

Western Thunderer
.... Must try and get to the Valleys, looks a spectacular spot for low level aircraft photography, I presume they fly down there most days, knowing my luck i'd sit there all day and only see sparrows and finches!

The Mach loop can be busy, particularly on Tuesdays (or so it seems) but only when the weather is fair. A wet day with low cloud (we have plenty of these) and carriage building at Measpoeth takes place in relative peace and quiet; come the sun and we can be buzzed every twenty minutes or so. Today whilst wandering round Mach market (overcast) a Hercules came over low, heading in from the coast up the Dyfi towards Cemmaes Road.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I must admit that I was totally fooled at first too, but the lack of overhead warning flashes, blue door handle & there appears to be a missing handrail too which made me think again......I didn't even notice the derailment:oops:.Non of that doesn't detracts from the fact that it is a superb photo though:bowdown::thumbs:

SimonT

Western Thunderer
The wheel off the rail wasn't obvious on the I-phone, but I can confirm that shortly after the photo was taken, the curse of Slaters wheels was diagnosed and the screw was subsequently tightened up. The loco is now to be rebadged as D1018 and an inflatable parrot will be placed on the right shoulder. The missing handrail must be somewhere in one of 50 exhibition halls so I'll have to make a new one so, thank you for observation. The absence of a warning flash is correct unless the photo I modeled it from wasn't a real phot0;)
Simon

Reactions: PMP