4mm P4 Southern Region 3rd rail, 1975 - 1980

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Art Deco is certainly distinctive. :)
A Walthers kit? I hope the scale difference won't be a problem.

C

Celticwardog

No I don't think so, have a few HO factories, barely notice the difference really. Same with the people...especially if you place them near the back of the viewed area...sense of perspective I suppose.

C

Celticwardog

It does look a bit like Arnos Grove yes...it's the rotunda bit. We have found this design does repeat...1930's utilitarian ugly/beauty I spose!

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Bloody Hell:eek: What a fantastic bit of building. If you have scratch built that Lee then massive praise to be heaped onto your shoulders:bowdown:

Truely amazing:bowdown:
Could you tell us a little more on how you built this.

Rob :)

C

Celticwardog

Well thanks very much - but to be clear I very rarely build, I paint, it's my mate (the actual layout owner who builds and yes it is a scratchbuild). There was actually very little for me to do on this being mostly glass.

However -I do know how it was done and is simpler than it looks. Each panel was drawn on CAD to make sure it all lines up and its basically lots of styrene I & L beams. The glazing designed to be slotted in and held in place with those black sections (Evergreen V groove cut into LOTS of individual pieces with a bit of microstrip at the top and bottom ends). The peculiar cage structure at the top again done on CAD and lots of styrene square rod of different sizes. The undercroft/carpark bit I know is brick sheets with individual bricks cut out to give that vented wall effect.

Sorry I know that doesn't go into huge detail. Its supposed to be based on the below, The John Moores Building now called the plaza, but only a small bit of it being so incredibly long.

The_Plaza,_Liverpool_-_DSC00678.JPG

Plaza,_Liverpool.jpg

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
Given this thread has already been started I might as well plonk it here....

Shelvington:

In The Beginning (pardon the repeats):

Layout Name - Shelvington
<<SNIP>>>

View attachment 29984

View attachment 29985

If only Rydes Hill did have a halt, it would be closer than my nearest bus stop down in to town.
If WW2 had not come along and halted much of the 1930's development, Shelvington could have served a much bigger population that now.

C

Celticwardog

Hi Chris,

How funny, I thought Matt made Rydes Hill up like Shelvington, it's only you mentioning it and then a Google that tells me that isn't the case. We have renamed High Rocks Jacobs Stone - there isn't one of them too is there?

Anyhoo - had Rydes Hill a halt would it not likely be the case that if it had ever had one it might well have been axed by Dr Evil anyway ;)

Thanks for the comment, obviously we know who you are - big fans of your modelling and photography. Might have to pick your brains if they are pickable (?) as I have a nice camera but don't really know how to use. Had no idea that was your neck of the woods - small, fictional world!

C

Celticwardog

1930s low relief cinema, all done by me. No where near as sharp as Matts construction but happy with it none the less. Doors and sign are leftover etches from the other cinema, still needs canopy lights and illuminated Odeon sign. Figures are Micromachines and underscale....but they can be small promo dummys or something...besides...."Aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper?".

20140409_175223.jpg

20140409_175233.jpg

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Also here is a picture of our VEP with its corrected face, made as a casting with a brass etch. No idea if this is correct, not sure what the beef was with the original but everyone in the know seemed to think it wasn't right. :

View attachment 30583

Hi Celtic'

Your VEP looks much better. The issue was the driver's and secondman's cab windows were too close together. So the corridor connector was too narrow and there was too much space where the cab joins the bodysides. The corridor should also have been proud of the cab but was moulded flush. I crawled over a couple with a tape measure and you can see the dimensions were significantly out after I hacked one.
1 VEP.JPG
The bits of which (I think about 3mm) in the corridor connect show how under width it was. Looks like yours has got the new correct width :)

Cheers

Tom

C

Celticwardog

Thanks Tom about the block. I see, funny then how Hornby could make such a fundamental error?

Lee

C

Celticwardog

Ta very much buddy...I'm on about 4 but I likes this one :)

Alas the Rmweb saga tis a sad tale.....it wasn't me that caused it but it was my fault (its complicated lol) and I am not in the "I hate Rmweb" camp".

C

Celticwardog

I haven't updated this in ages. I found I had gotten board of fora as the novelty had worn off, I even started a blog which held my attention for all of 3 days....but it being exhibited at Shenfield next month and we have been invited to DEMU 2015 so depending how horrendous exhibiting is (DREADING it) it might pop up again. But...as per the track plan it's actually nearly finished (there is another section not on the plan which is just wood and track) so a huge update will soon appear....if anyone cares lol.