New resource area for members.

adrian

Flying Squad
As part of the upgrades with the software update I have finally got to the point where I'm happy to release a new resource area for the forum.

The original idea for this started many years ago when members started posting some useful links and information, for example Mk1 coach prototype details. The problem I've always had with forums is that the are very transient by their very nature. It is always posts of the moment and there is an incredible depth of knowledge in the older posts.

How do we keep track of these useful posts? Yes you can search for them as long as you know the information is there to search for. I wanted a way to pick up and remember this wealth of knowledge. I implemented the bookmarks system so that users can tag and have a "favourite" list as the information appears but I was aware that new members would struggle to find some of this historical information. Yes they can search for it but that only works if they know that the information is there to search for!

I'm not saying this is an ideal solution, I'm willing to hear any other suggestions, but I think this could become a useful "knowledge base". So I'm running this as a trial to gauge feedback. Over the next couple of weeks I'll add some more resources which I think will be of interest and would encourage members to add other resources. As I will try to demonstrate it could cover a multitude of resources.

One of the triggers to force my hand was the interest to share 3D print files which this I hope will accommodate. I have defined file types that can be uploaded but if I have missed anything then please let me know and I'll add them to the list. The only thing I ask is that for 3D print files please look at compressing them before uploading. It helps me on the web hosting side to keep the disk usage low, for example the AmeraLabs file I posted as a straight stl file is approximately 21Mb but when I compressed it using 7-zip it reduced to 4Mb so 1/5 of the size. 7-zip is a free utility and multi-platform, highly recommended, so please consider using it before uploading any files, 7-Zip

Hopefully when you are logged onto the forum you should see a new tab for "Resources"

Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 00.10.40.png

So far I have set up 4 categories for allocating resources to particular areas, I can always add more by request.

There is a button to add a new resource, you can attach a file for members to download, eg a 3D print file as in the AmeraLabs 3D resource. or simply an external website as in the Midland C&W drawings.

The system allows users to update resources if new updates become available, also by default creating a new new resource will create a new discussion thread in the resource area of the forum so that we can keep any discussion of the resource linked to the resource and offer feedback and updates.

If anyone has a query about this resource area then please let me know and I'l try to answer them. In the meantime I hope that it provides a useful area to share knowledge. If it does prove to be of interest and popular then there are additional options I can switch on, for example there are payment options to allow users to charge for downloads. I am open and receptive to this to help fund small scale "production" runs if members are thinking about a group funding effort or thinking of trying to sell a few extra items to fund a low scale production run. I would suggest members send me a direct message and we can discuss options.

Please let me know what you think.

Adrian

simond

Western Thunderer
Great idea.

Whilst trying it out by linking to the RCH wagon drawings site, it occurred to me that where possible, it would be good to add a file of the information, rather than only a link, as there is the possibility that a link will be broken at some point in the future by another hosting service failing. I’m on my iPad at the moment, when I’m on the laptop later, I’ll follow my own advice!

On the other hand, I was also thinking about 3D prints, or at least the CAD files for them. It would be welcome to be able to download and print others’ models (and laser/Silhouette 2D), but it seems to me that a database including the 3D files would rapidly get very big, and possibly out of date too. Where WTers are happy to share their files, it might be easier to put them in a “catalog” showing an image or two, and allow the would-be user to contact the designer by PM to get the actual file(s). I suppose the downside of that is the loss of resource if the designer cannot respond. There’s also the question of copyright, which would certainly be better discussed directly between the parties, I’d be very happy for WTers to print a few of the telephone I drew last year, but I’d be a bit peeved if I found them for sale on eBay or at a show.

hope these ramblings are helpful
Simon

adrian

Flying Squad
Adrian

Not sure if the links are working as intended. For example the Midland one links to a screenshot of a page from the Midland Railway Study Centre website (Home page of the Midland Railway Study Centre) rather than to the actual website, without telling us which website to look for.

Good idea though.
A good point it's not clear enough but I think it should work if you click on the "Download" button. I'll update the resource to emphasise this.

JimG

Western Thunderer
A good point it's not clear enough but I think it should work if you click on the "Download" button. I'll update the resource to emphasise this.
The Download button top right on the page works. :) I floundered around for a bit on the page until I saw that button. :)

Jim

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Adrian

Is there anyway to add to an existing resource? I have GA drawings for the Britannia class from the NRM.

kind regards

Mike