New O scale Kadee trucks

Brian T

Western Thunderer
One for the US O scale modelers here, Kadee has released some 2 rail O scale trucks,all metal inc.wheel sets.

ASF A-3 ride control - soild bearing - 33" wheels
AAR Bettendorf - # - # - # - # - # -
Arch Bar - # - # - # - # - # -

S2 Barber - roller bearing - 33" wheels
ASF 100 Ton - # - # - # - 36" wheels

They also make a bolster adapter as the the trucks have the correct scale bolsters.

O Scale Trucks and Wheels - Trucks and Wheels - Shop by Category

Brian.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I've asked the question in various places, including Kadee's own website, whether the roller bearing trucks have actually rotating bearing caps, like Atlas do.
Have yet to get an answer, although one WT member has ordered some, so will know in a few weeks' time.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Had confirmation overnight on the OGR Forum...
Yes the bearing caps do rotate. They are quite nice. The wheels are code 145 as well.
Of course, in that time waiting, the Kadee website now has no 100t trucks available, despite saying they're 'in stock'....
Typical..!! :rolleyes: :headbang:

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Curious to see what the A-3 Ride Control Trucks are like, could hopefully be a decent like-for-like replacement on the Atlas ACF 70Ton hoppers.

Pity that these have come about a year too late for my ‘retrofitting‘ IM trucks/underframes onto Atlas box cars!

Cheers,

Stephen

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Got my 70t trucks from Kadee today - very quick shipping!!
Yes the caps rotate on the roller bearing types :)
The wheels are quite fine & might convert to Proto48, but the truck frames are equalised rather than sprung, and are two solid castings somehow linked together across the bolster; they could be difficult to narrow to scale width.
20230925_202317.jpg

Top view, showing the dividing line across the bolster that is the two halves joined together.
20230925_203249.jpg

Underside view. 3 spigots & a screw are included for each truck, particularly for use on Atlas cars which lack a 'proper' bolster.
20230925_204744.jpg
Washers in the photo are mine, & weren't needed for fitting to a couple of Atlas 50ft cars, as below.
20230925_204915.jpg

I took the blacking off the wheel treads with a 4.5" angle grinder Peco track rubber. Mindyou, in certain circles that's considered as bad as an angle grinder for track cleaning..!!!
The Kadee trucks also had the benefit of lowering the Atlas Trainman cars slighttly, to the correct ride height.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Just a quick update...

According to Gene Deimling's P48/O scale blog NEW PRODUCTS: New Trinkets for the Modeler
Kadee are now going to produce trucks in P48,hopefully this should ease the way for more converts into the world of P48 ......;)

Brian.
Hi Brian,

I was under the impression that Kadee are going to start selling the P48 wheel sets separately in order for the modeller to replace the the fine scale wheels that come with the trucks as standard.

If it turns out that they will sell the trucks already with P48 wheels then all the better of course!

JB.

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian,

I was under the impression that Kadee are going to start selling the P48 wheel sets separately in order for the modeller to replace the the fine scale wheels that come with the trucks as standard.

If it turns out that they will sell the trucks already with P48 wheels then all the better of course!

JB.
Hi JB,

Perhaps i've interpreted the message diffrently....:)

As i see it, why would you sell an Ow5 truck for say $40 then have to buy seperate wheel sets for say another $10-$15,when kadee have the opportunity to sell more of them as a straight P48 truck like San Juan do...(not withstand the brass options)

Just a thought...

Brian.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Brian

They aren't selling separate wheels, if they do it and I now think they will, there will be P48 trucks, hopefully all the different variants

Richard

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
I was under the impression they were doing full p48 trucks, but I guess I don't really know. But I agree that it would be off-putting to buy the Ow5 trucks and pay extra for the wheelsets. And then do the work myself. Plus it really should be a separate truck with the proper bolster for p48 along with the wheels.

Jim

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Chaps, just found the post on the original forum, maybe I’m reading incorrectly between the lines or someone has got their wires crossed.

IMG_7602.jpeg

richard carr

Western Thunderer
My understanding is that these will be the existing trucks, but with p48 wheels already fitted.

you won't need to buy the truck with OW5 wheels and then take them apart to fit the P48 wheels. So the bolster maybe a bit wide, but I'm sure when I measured these, they were only about 1mm over scale width

That was my reading. I may be wrong, but having to fit the wheels yourself almost defeats the object.

Richard

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
My understanding is that these will be the existing trucks, but with p48 wheels already fitted.

you won't need to buy the truck with OW5 wheels and then take them apart to fit the P48 wheels. So the bolster maybe a bit wide, but I'm sure when I measured these, they were only about 1mm over scale width

That was my reading. I may be wrong, but having to fit the wheels yourself almost defeats the object.

Richard
Lets hope so!

Although I should imagine they will all be too late in era for my bits and pieces..

JB.