Mickoos European dabblings

mickoo

Western Thunderer
As an aside, I'm doing some test prints for someone exported from Fusion360, they also have faceted curved surfaces, that may well be a setting thing from their export but it may also be a limitation like Autocad.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
I did the switch to a new W11 machine in September. Mostly not too difficult as I use a stand alone hard drive to back everything up.

However, there is one thing you MUST do to W11 - disable OneDrive. When you start to load your stuff this monster will immediately start to copy all your data to the OneDrive cloud and will slow things down. Ultimately it will ask you to pay loads of dosh to have more storage. There are no controls. Do some research at Microsoft where there is information on disabling and removing the monster. Shade of Internet Explorer in the Naughties.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Collected these today, glad I did as they wouldn't have survived the post I don't think; they must be close to 10Kg a piece.

It's a little tired and needs some tarting up, weathering isn't too disastrous but could benefit from a lighter touch of oils and tread wear here and there.

IMG_11549.jpg

The second is EpII I believe and has a broken pantograph and the buffer shanks at one end have come adrift, luckily without too much damage so a spot of glue to re affix. I'll try and repair the pantograph, but suspect it might be better to acquire a new spare one from somewhere and then there's two choices, back on to that famous sellers site or repaint into EpIV as a hump shunter in their last days.

IMG_11545.jpg

The other Euro stuff was HO and from childhood memories, specifically an almost mint TEE VT11.5 (plus 3 car additional pack) to replace the one I botched repainted into DSB colours in my youth and a TEE RAM four car set which I didn't know had even been produced.

Of course these throw another spanner in the layout planning works, I think I'm just going to stand everything on the baseboards and play trains in my head, cheaper and easier that way :cool:

Last edited:

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Collected these today, glad I did as they wouldn't have survived the post I don't think; they must be close to 10Kg a piece.
Does 10kg mean they are gauge 1? They look good and the wheels look quite fine (good thing) but knowing nothing about the prototype or models I can’t tell how big they are.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Mick - I don't recognise these at all. What is the prototype? I remember an articulated electric loco when I visited Italy in around 1960 (I seem to remember it was brown) and saw a Crocodile or two in Switzerland but don't remember anything like these.

Brian

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Does 10kg mean they are gauge 1? They look good and the wheels look quite fine (good thing) but knowing nothing about the prototype or models I can’t tell how big they are.
Yeah they're G1, sorry forgot to add that in the initial blurb. The wheels are not too bad actually, probably not ultra scale but certainly not Lionel 3 rail biscuit tins.

Size wise, they're quite compact at 20" long, about the size of a Pacific in O scale I reckon but four times the bulk.

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick - I don't recognise these at all. What is the prototype? I remember an articulated electric loco when I visited Italy in around 1960 (I seem to remember it was brown) and saw a Crocodile or two in Switzerland but don't remember anything like these.

Brian
They're German E91 class, very early Bavarian locos from 1925-27 but just kept plodding along until the mid 70's, mainly on local trip freights or more often as not, grinding long freights over marshalling yard humps, you can't get far at 34 mph top speed.

191 002-5.jpg

I've got quite a large wardrobe of anoraks for early German electric locos.

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick,
Another aficionado of Altbau Elloks here! You could leave the era II loco more or less as it is and call it “preserved“, maybe with the addition of tiny but white modern running numbers,

My apologies, this is an EP5, later E52/152 as preserved at the Nuremberg museum in about 20014, I think. Also running into the late 1970s in Southern Bavaria. I don’t have wide angle lenses or anything so I couldn’t get the whole loco in shot, it was a touch cramped there.
Cheers,
John

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick,
Another aficionado of Altbau Elloks here! You could leave the era II loco more or less as it is and call it “preserved“, maybe with the addition of tiny but white modern running numbers,

My apologies, this is an EP5, later E52/152 as preserved at the Nuremberg museum in about 20014, I think. Also running into the late 1970s in Southern Bavaria. I don’t have wide angle lenses or anything so I couldn’t get the whole loco in shot, it was a touch cramped there.
Cheers,
John
These Jack shaft drive locos are impressive. The brown one has a broken pantograph and buffer shanks, the buffers are easily glued back in but the pantograph really needs a new one, I'm struggling to find a Marklin spare if I'm honest. Once that's fitted it'll go up for sale, the green one is up for sale now but no takers yet. but the longer it sits there the less I want it to sell.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
More gratuitous box opening :))

To be Fair I'm pretty smitten with these, madly in love really and rate them as one of those engines that changed the face of rail travel forever, much like the LNER A4, PRR GG1, BR HST, GWR Castle, SNCF TGV.

It was sitting at a good price at fair warning so it was rude not to grab it before the hammer fell. I've coveted a Gauge 1 Br103 for as long as I can remember, usually they go for very good prices (if you're selling) but thos one was within my budget. To be fair the price was good enough to sell on and recover all costs if needed. Sadly though when I got it home it had some damage, so it'll have to be repaired and remain here ;)

The damage is slight, one panto pot snapped off so an easy 3D replacement and all the wipers are broken, not sure how to replace them, probably a nickel silver etch or scratch build some. There's a little damage to the paint work so it's going to be weathered, not heavily but that hard worked short turn around type weathering they developed in later years.

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_11729.jpg

Being Marklin and Gauge 1 it's typically stupidly heavy :cool:

I'm also super impressed with the new backing paper for photo shoots, I'll keep that as my new trade dress as it does show off the model well.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Br 103 weathering inspiration... here's two of mine taken at Stuttgart in 1989.

View attachment 179159

View attachment 179160

As an idea to give a sense of scale when photographing models you could always stand a £1 or 50 pence coin or better still :) a €1 coin next to them.
Yeah, that's the ticket, the dirt always streaked a lot on these and the fronts were always bug spattered in the summer.

You don't see much of that these days, someone I was talking to the other day remarked on that, in the 80s trains were covered in dead bugs in the summer, now there's hardly any, visual proof that wildlife is declining...at that level.

I must admit when processing the photos, you have no idea of scale, it's actually a huge model, I've a V200 to do later today so I'll include a suitably sized prop for scale :cool:

Last edited:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Br 103 weathering inspiration... here's two of mine taken at Stuttgart in 1989
Whaaaaat??!! But Continental stuff doesn't get dirty!!! Everyone knows EU layouts are never weathered!!! ;) :))
You don't see much of that these days, someone I was talking to the other day remarked on that, in the 80s trains were covered in dead bugs in the summer, now there's hardly any, visual proof that wildlife is declining...at that level.
True enough. The fronts of 86s at New St were black with flies back in my spotting days. So was my truck in later years, summer nights especially.