2mm Matt's 2mm tribulations.

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
Having been a long term lurker, I think it could be time to repay the wit and wisdom I've enjoyed over the last few years.

Ultimately my intention is a very early 70's piece of Liskeard station, currently derailed by a lack of space and a stock building crusade!

This winter has so far been particularly productive with a few long termers finally leaving the workbench.
lnHGMqIZ1lnXho5_fYec6yY=w1920-h557-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
LMS van

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
Just to prove things don't always go to plan, today I made a start on a Harris Grampus. five pieces later, each end fell from the etched carrier along with a set of axleboxes (5 laminations here). The body laminations sweated perfectly first time, then I promptly warped the whole affair putting the floor in - back to square one!
bLrQ-fHVttyEjqdQFefAXf3o=w963-h963-s-no?authuser=0.jpg
aMQtZdvPvbaonSY-pHWHeEH8=w770-h963-s-no?authuser=0.jpg
At this point I called it a day and dug in the box for a quick win - 2-511, an LMS van part built by someone else and fitted 8 shoe chassis.

Which starts like this, Bartlett albums reviewed, bearing holes reamed, brake gear pricked through, bearings and vac cylinder fished out ready for a round of tinning.
vpPvCrqJZkfOYon8mSkqltrg=w963-h963-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Journals sharpied - (a trick stolen from Stephen Harris' instructions to stop solder escaping) and sides removed form the etch, ready for a quick RSU zap to tack then sweat them in place with particular care to the axlebox/springs.
5DctJssxDJj65LImUft6ULw=w1283-h963-s-no?authuser=0.jpg
A careful bend later sees a chassis appear - depending how brave you are it's test time. I usually check they run straight on a piece of glass. Brake gear folded and cusp scraped from inside the shoes we are ready to zap once more.
MvHns07yYhaX3Q65W9bHtUwA=w722-h963-s-no?authuser=0.jpg
At this point bufferbeams can be sweated on, vac cylinder tacked on. I usually plonk the body on, procrastinate and make a brew.
ZZOzBUIp_IxgjC2cHcCSXyME=w963-h963-s-no?authuser=0.jpg
Feeling suitably guilty as I wonder if any might have had the rest of the brake gear left off as a cost saving exercise it's time to fold up levers and guides, solder in a cross bar and cuss. Finally 3d printed buffers fit with a dab of black superglue and you're done(ish). The roof will be popped on once I have enough of an order for Shop 3.
W8Aen5vwbojvNYe-L_-Br9k=w1920-h934-s-no?authuser=0.jpg
DGs to follow after paint and I'll need to work out how much a high vac pipe will stop the loop rising before painting...

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Nice stage by stage on the chassis, Matt. I have definitely learnt something new today...Sharpies the journals, a useful ploy, thank you.
You mentioned early 70s...preTOPS?
Look forward to more.
Just a thought though, would you be better posting in the 2mm section?
All the best
Julian

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Nice stage by stage on the chassis, Matt. I have definitely learnt something new today...Sharpies the journals, a useful ploy, thank you.
You mentioned early 70s...preTOPS?
Look forward to more.
Just a thought though, would you be better posting in the 2mm section?
All the best
Julian
Hi Julian,

Thats an interesting question you pose. I am still posting my thread under new members but wonder whether it should be under layout progress. Problem is, I don’t know how to move it. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Nigel

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian,

Thats an interesting question you pose. I am still posting my thread under new members but wonder whether it should be under layout progress. Problem is, I don’t know how to move it. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Nigel

One for @adrian, I suspect.

Adam

Chivers tube

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
Heather's timely nudge has brought me back to a work bench. It's fair to say Adam has been a bit of an inspiration with his dip fed freight over the last couple of years so...

After a resolving the 08 chassis I picked some bogies to build for a slow burn E147 project, except I had one set of passenger bogies, one set of freight.

To head a sulk off at the pass I picked a Chivers tube out of the stock and promised myself an easy, quick build.
20231016_233346.jpg
First signs were promising - assoc conversion irons soldered up, floor filed flat, solebars thinned...
20231003_191542.jpg...which rapidly went wrong when I realised the Chivers clasp brakes wouldnt line up with anything, with or without the association conversion etches. Luckily some spares from the epic Harris mineral saved the day - the wheel carriers were soldered up on the bench before being dropped in place.
20231007_152200.jpg

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
They usually appear for other people.

I'm not even starting on the assoc van bodies with shallower buffer beams than the standard chassis...

mermaids

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
20231022_215236.jpgThis weekend I have mostly been rewiring a station - my day job is working out how to swith from a 1937 westinghouse L power frame to a modern Siemens system (photo on a block of line, with PPE and competent to be trackside).

Luckily prior to the block we had a warm dry day, so I could break out the rattle cans. 20231025_192559.jpg

Post block I had a day-after-nights to kill and started two Harris Mermaids.
20231025_192617.jpg
Which turned out pretty OK. Defintiely could have been neater on some ribs, but they are around 22mm long.
20231025_192529.jpg
...there's 4 more, I'll write a better entry for those...

D6356

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the mermaids, I have a couple waiting on the world to stop going round and the pictures do save a 1000 words!
Robert

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
IMG-20231028-WA0004.jpg
Another day, another block of line... thanks Neil, it's a very neat little spot nestled between freight, passenger, ferry and port yards.

D6356 - have a go, they are way easier than I expected. Scraping out the folds for the outer chassis paid off to get a good tight fit.

Hopefully progress tomorrow on my stand down.

mermaids

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
Three sequential weekends playing big trains hasn't helped me find the modelling room lately.
IMG-20231106-WA0009.jpg
With Railex on the horizon I elected to wrap up the trial mermaid builds. I'll superglue on the axleboxes after a scrub using a black "strong" CA.
20231114_222323.jpg
These two looked a little lonely so I started bothering the next four.

As before, all wire holes pricked through, bearing holes opened with a broach and inner/outer chassis cut out. The inside of each fold scored to help keep them sharp.
20231114_222355.jpg
Then the fun begins - the instructions don't quite cover the finger gymnastics required to fold the sole bar channel whilst not mangling the buffer beam step/fold guide and rail clamp.

First the bufferbeam...
20231114_222428.jpg
Then the lip
20231114_222452.jpg
Followed by a gentle coaxing over a steel block to give us:

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Nice! I’ve a pot of thick stuff in readiness for a number of jobs following your recommendation. Been good so far.

cheers
John

Last edited:
mermaids

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
After a particularly uninspiring visit to Railex, catching a heritage DA loco roaring north on my run put me in the mood to build.

A zoom call home saw four etches turned into fettled parts
20231119_220310.jpg
I had good intentions of writing this up for the magazine, however a few zaps and coffees later I'd missed the boat.
20231119_220342.jpg
The brake ratchets are now fitted, with levers and buffer backing plates left - hopefully the 2mm Shop will be popping some buffers in the post shortly...

Fingers crossed for sunny priming weather soon.