M&SWJR Van and wagon livery

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I'm currently building a P4 M&SWJR good brake van and I'm not sure of the livery for either M&SWJR or its post 1923 GWR livery. Can anyone point me to to a photo or info? I don't have a copy of the Wild-Swan book (Vol 3) which would, I believe, have all the info and more.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Finally got my hands on a copy of Vol3. A very interesting read.
My thoughts are that I've never seen a model of the mswjr in any scale.
Marc

daifly

Western Thunderer
In P4, Dave Barrett's model of Chiseldon did the exhibition circuit for many years as did Steve Lee's model in P4 of Grafton. Philip Young did Marlborough, also in P4.
I'm not aware of any 7mm scale MSWJR layouts, but there have been a number of excellent models made of MSWJR locos and rolling stock. e.g. this scratchbuilt ScaleSeven model of a Dübs 2-4-0 by Brian Brompton, rebuilt by @Eastsidepilot with inside motion and ABC motor/gearbox.
Dave

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Jamie Page made some superb M&SWJR models in Gauge 3 - search in the G3 forum section. One of his models was a break van but I'm not aware that he finished or painted it.

Arun Sharma

Western Thunderer
Some half dozen years ago now I produced the castings for a 7mm kit of the MSWJR's 'Galloping Alice' for Dave Hammersley [Roxey Mouldings]. I think the kit is still available.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
It's still available I think. I have sold a fair few 4mm brake vans but none in 7mm but you never know what will happen tomorrow. I have to build a 7mm one for Guildford so that might spark someone to do something in 7mm.
Marc

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
Or does this help.....?

Interesting. I never knew there was an MSWJR Society. Does it still exist? I think the Keevil address is for David Bartholomew who I fear is no longer with us...

daifly

Western Thunderer
Other kits for the MSWJR in addition to the Roxey kit:
Bill Bedford used to sell a couple of MSWJR items:
BBK 762/7 a 40' brake composite (ex-MR D263)
BWK 2760 Van No.303

I also have a white metal kit of an MSWJR 5-plank open with rounded ends of unknown provenance.
Slater's also sold PO wagons for Arthur Day and A. Vitti & Sons. both Swindon coal merchants with wagons registered with the MSWJR.
7035D.jpgstea5.jpgphoto: Chris Rogers
All of the above are 7mm kits.
Tower also produced a Dapol wagon branded for Marlborough College 63 and MSWJR.
Powsides have done a Slater's kit for Marlborough College 64.
marlborough.JPG
Other options listed here: M&SWJR kits
There may be more but there's the nucleus of a stud there.

I do have more than a passing interest in the MSWJR!

Dave

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Tower also produced a Dapol wagon branded for Marlborough College 63 and MSWJR.
Powsides have done a Slater's kit for Marlborough College 64.

If, like me, you have an aversion to the accuracy or otherwise of the Dapol "Gloster" mouldings - and please, no repeat of the content that arose in regard to the accuracy of other Dapol wagon products - then consider buying the Powsides equivalent and take advantage of Powsides ability to supply the pre-printed kits with running numbers of your choosing. With assistance from Ian Pope, I have ordered several Powsides wagons with number and tare appropriate to the several, relevant, Gloster photos (for example, five different wagons for Richard Webster and three for William Neave).

regards, Graham

lankytank

Western Thunderer
I'm aware of an 0 gauge layout based on the line 'somewhere in Swindon' that, the last time I saw it (some 3 years ago BC - before Covid), is or was residing in a garage somewhere in Cheshire. Apparently, it was built in a flat in Northern Ireland & when the owner returned 'to the mainland' (his words, not mine) it was packed into a removal van and shipped over the water. All I can tell you is that it's bl**dy heavy, I gave a hand in moving it, so the roof of the garage could be fixed