7mm Long Term Plan Coming to Fruition

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
Thank you @daifly, @Marsh Lane, @JimG and @michl080. The Toolstation units look identical and being cheaper makes them the better option.

Yes, I well qualify for any over 60s discounts but unfortunately the local B&Q closed years ago.

Thank you all for the heads up regarding their ease of erection, weight etc. While I am planning that in due course the layout will be exhibited - that particular requirement is the primary driver in building it - I suspect though the number of times it may appear in public could be comparatively few, not least because late 1890s Midland has only a limited appeal. On that basis if the trestles (and the boards for that matter) are a bit heavy and/or awkward so be it - that's a problem to be addressed in the future - meanwhile it sorts out my legs!

Crimson Rambler

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
I have 8 of those, good solid supports.

The first 4 were Aldi special buys at £6.99 each. The next four were Screwfix and identical except for colour but they cost £22 each! We use them to make a temporary bar for our beer festival, the weight helps to resist the pull of the hand pumps.

Ian.

daifly

Western Thunderer
When I say 'not portable', it's simply the volume that they occupy. They don't stack or interlock in any way. For my four baseboards I have 5 of these. In a typical saloon car they would occupy most of the boot space. Even in my SUV with rear seats folded down, I could carry either baseboards or trestles but not both. Hence 'not portable'. I was 71 yesterday but still manage to drag myself around and carry two trestles at a time. They're still not portable!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Regarding trestles, I've just made my own. The reason? Well, having seen the metal ones in use, I would agree that they are bulky, take up lots of room in the car and are also incredibly noisy (clanking and rattling as you're driving). Great once you're at a show though - sturdy, adjustable and reliable.

The ones I've just made fold completely flat and will take up little room in the car.

IMG_20220213_181418_1.jpg

IMG_20220213_181355.jpg
(Yes, there's a bit missing... The bit that stops the legs spreading when up)

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
Its worth finding some you like, then doing a google for the type and model - then click on 'Shopping' at the top of the Google page and see what shops are offering. I bought some Draper tresses three/four years back .. and found a DIY shop in Edinburgh who would do mail order to Yorkshire and were offering buy three get a fourth free! As I wanted seven, I gained a spare at no cost! Also worked out cheaper than anywhere else, so well worth shopping around.

Dont know if its applicable to @Crimson Rambler but do B&W still do an over 60s day or afternoon where there is a discount. If its valid for you and they do, that can make a difference, especially with the saving in postage. Just a thought!

Nice plan Tim. I also like Phil's idea of the sleeper sheets, although it seems to waist quite a bit of ply (that's not being dismissive of the idea, you or Phil!) just my thought - given that the cost of wood has gone through the roof lately. But its certainly a good idea. can the 'infill' between roads be removed after you have stuck the sleepers down?

Richie

Richie,

Yes the infill lifts out leaving the sleepers, I'm sure the waste ply will be useful in due course.

Tim

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
The laser cut sleeper bases have been stuck down. It was a pretty easy job; all the sheets of ply were laid out on the baseboards in their correct position. The sleeper bases were removed one at a time, glue applied, with a small brush and the sleeper base replaced in its original position. After a couple of minutes to let the glue ‘grab’ the pieces of ply surrounding the sleeper base were removed. A couple of afternoons got this all done, now for track laying.

Tim

Layout Build 5.JPG

Layout Build 6.JPG

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
I bet there's a marketing oppotunity there, it's a cracking idea. :thumbs:

Phil at Intentio is the person who has produced these for me, great work from him.

Tim

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Nice plan Tim. I also like Phil's idea of the sleeper sheets, although it seems to waist quite a bit of ply (that's not being dismissive of the idea, you or Phil!) just my thought - given that the cost of wood has gone through the roof lately. But its certainly a good idea. can the 'infill' between roads be removed after you have stuck the sleepers down?

Richie
In any manufacturing process, there is waste produced and you're right, there is more waste produced with this method, than just making sleepers but thats part of the trade off for laying a layout really quickly or spending time gluing individual sleepers to a paper plan.

I have a wood burner at home and the waste ply makes great kindling :)