LNER models in 4mm

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
Not finished yet !! :drool: , the Cab Roof is also loose in the photos . The Cab area will be finished , painted and Crewed before the Roof is fixed in place. The remainder of the Loco will then be painted etc.

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Thought that must be the case but I also thought perhaps it was something clever to do with motor access or chassis-to-body securing... Jolly good: carry on, as you were! :rolleyes:

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
I have just started a Falcon Brass LNER J24 with no instructions.

Does anybody know what the parts in the centre/left of the photo are . Two appear to be fold up boxes ,and a set of cricket stumps with the centre stump missing??..\

IMG_6221.jpeg

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I have just started a Falcon Brass LNER J24 with no instructions.

Does anybody know what the parts in the centre/left of the photo are . Two appear to be fold up boxes ,and a set of cricket stumps with the centre stump missing??..\

View attachment 193399
Hi Mick,
Not that I can identify the parts off the top of my head but I am pretty sure that I have the 7mm version of this from Shedmaster/LG Miniatures I will dig out the instructions to see if I can help.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick,

Not good news I'm afraid. The LG/Shedmaster Instructions are all text based with no diagrams at all to help identify the parts. If it might help in any way I will happily scan them for you?

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick,

Not good news I'm afraid. The LG/Shedmaster Instructions are all text based with no diagrams at all to help identify the parts. If it might help in any way I will happily scan them for you?
Thanks Rob its a very simple kit, I would imagine the 7mm kit has far more detail, than this very basic kit .

The only thing not i.d are the "Stumps" which I now intend to ignore !! Someone has suggested earlier Smokebox Straps, if they are they are far to big !!

Thanks to everybody for the responses .

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
J24 finished.

The photos show how far out the Boiler Firebox and Smokebox sides were out . They should have been the same height as the Smokebox front. I realised on looking at those photos the Firbox was assembled incorrectly removed and the shape re done in the other photos.
The chassis was another gem, in the end two axle holes were out of line on one side and the other side the other hole was out as well.
Castings are from Arthur Kimber, his daughter was very helpful with all the parts needed. Scratch Cab Interior the seats provide on the etch were totally wrong shape.

IMG_6241.jpeg

IMG_6240.jpeg

IMG_6243.jpeg

IMG_6242.jpeg

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
Latest "interesting" kit.

A LRM ex Barnfield ex NER LNER B16 kit from originally 30 years ago. So far, I am about 3/4 the way through the Locomotive build. The Tender is still in the box smiling at me everytime I look !!

The main etches are reasonable, using a the original Boiler Dia 49 you have to cut the curved pieces out of the Firebox bottom , strange as no idea how if ever fitted ,when designed by Barnfield. It now also comes with a new etch of the Dia 49a Boiler which was'nt use before 1939, which is too late for my period of modelling. This Boilker has the correct shape to Firebox bottom area.

Edit
Sadly a number of etches on the 7mm Gladiator kit (same basic design) are not on the original etches or on the new Boiler etch.

Wheel Balance weights, Bottom Washout/Mud Holes surrounds, Splasher Rivet surrounds. Top Washout plugs too small and wrong shapes.

Neither 4mm and 7mm kits have the following items .
No castings for Steam Reverse or any etch for the Cylinder linkage.
Safety Valve Casting the base is too small , Valves too high, Oil Box castings oversize and/or wrong shape.

Instructions are very vague in places and this is not a beginners kit!!.

Chassis was ok being basic but no more, none of the body mounting holes matched the ones on the Footplate. Luckily the chassis run/ worked first time when pre assembled before painting.

IMG_6275.jpeg
IMG_6278.jpeg

IMG_6279.jpeg

Smokebox Ring was too small ,instead of being on view it was actually hidden by the Door. A ring of wire soldered around the door cured that issue
IMG_6280.jpeg

Last edited: