jonte

Western Thunderer
Hill Walking

Stuttering steps, in the wrong socks. Having gone around and around in TinkerCAD, the box of brass became more and more attractive. Thus, in the space over Christmas 202o, a start was made.

Via the GERS drawing, it very quickly became apparent that something was awry:
View attachment 145115
The Running Plate - a wonderful reimagining of some scrap fret by the previous builder - was some 1'6" too long in real money. This was addressed using the Exacto cuting guide, with the Running Plate resting on some HSS steel bars:
View attachment 145119
New buffer beams were cut from NS sheet.

The boiler was also incorrectly sized; the cunning use of a piece of central heating pipe sadly resulted in a barrel 6" too small in diameter.
Thanks to the generosity of @lankytank the correct size was soon in place:
View attachment 145120
Attention then turned to the Firebox; after a back-of-a-fag-packet calcualtion, a simple wraparound a suitably-sized drill shank resulted in the required shape:
View attachment 145121
The ends (throat and backhead) were added using lead sheet of a suitable thickness, soldered in place with 70 degree lowmelt:
View attachment 145122

..the curves of which were shaped with a scraper made from scrap brass:

View attachment 145123

..with the motor aperture being fretted out:

View attachment 145124

The resulting box was offered up to the boiler/smokebox assembly and tacked to the footplate:

View attachment 145125

Attention then turned to the cab front:
View attachment 145126

Lots of painful curves, here. The distinctive 'sad eye' look of these engines took some calculating and transference. A nice sharp set of dividers was key, here. The it was out with the fret saw and files:

View attachment 145129

Some more filing, a lot of cussing, and a few hours away from the bench resulted in something that looked the part:
View attachment 145130

The sidetanks were relatively straightforward, the only oddity being that it was decided to model the hole of the bunker on the Fireman's side of the cab:

View attachment 145131

...and that seems like a logical place to stop. The next post will add detail on the cab rear.

Most enjoyable, and - as a first attempt at a scratchbuild - going well. But We haven't attempted the Walschearts valve gear, yet!

Cheers

Jan

Finding it hard to believe that this fine example of craftsmanship is your first attempt, Jan. Astounding stuff.

Jonte

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Finding it hard to believe that this fine example of craftsmanship is your first attempt, Jan. Astounding stuff.

Jonte
Thank you @jonte
All my output up to know has been one of the Holy Trinity of Kit Building: Plastic, Whitemetal, or Brass (or an amalgam thereof). I’ve cut little bits and pieces when needed, but this is a first hack through the winter ice and dive in for me. It’s not perfect (I’m pretty sure it’s not craftsmanship, either…) but it serves.

Thanks again,

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Cab Control
The rear cab sheet was a bit simpler than the front. Barring the placing of the lamp irons (Extreme Etchings) and handrail knobs (Alan Gibson), the only other item of note was the fake pimple accomodation for the brake handle. This was undertaken by Ernie Piphany, our King Of Cricket, using the middle stump of a 13A plug.
50871279908_23dbd06576_o.jpg

For reasons best known to the designers, the lamp iron between the window cutouts was placed off centre. Also, research has identified that prior to her becoming Number 33, 68129 lost her rear spectacles (probably fell off when she bumped too hard on some of the less that wonderful track down on Pepper Wharf in Canning Town). She had her vision back in time for her disposal, but we're glossing over that part of her history, as we have a nice image of her shunting Stratford Old Works with what looks like blackout curtains hanging loosely in placethrough the apertures..

Once we had back and front, and something to prop it up with, the roof was tackled.
image0.jpeg
Just a simple curve, with cut outs for above-average height drivers (the original B74 was taller, here, and this gave these locos a look of haugthtiness - a far cry from the 'bruiser boy' look came to carry).

The rear cab was made demountable, and thus there was no excuse to charge up the orchestra and go overboard on the fittings. The firehole ring and door:
50952341988_702fc17da2_o.jpg

The Reversing Lever (8 bits of brass):

50953144177_b7ce120a0a_o.jpg

The Gauge Frame:

50953042756_bb020dc726_o.jpg

The regulator, steam brake, and injector steam valves...
50969074958_833e208e8e_o.jpg

..the warming tray/damper...

50971120897_57bda1748a_o.jpg

...and the coal bunker...

50952342243_9b29794e78_o.jpg

All of which, goes to give an impression of permanence...

50971120792_545476e515_o.jpg

...as if this wasn't enough, we then decided to attempt the fitting of the coal bars over the firemans-side window. So 11 0.3 mm holes were drilled... by hand...

image2.jpeg

.. cab surround was made from 22 Gauge soft half-round brass wire. And holes drilled in it to take the handrails.

And that is - more or less.. where we are now. We have an old Jameson brass dish for the smokebox door, and we've sourced a GER dome from Precision Paints. The chimney is the stumbling block.. that and the chassis...

Cheers

Jan

Last edited:

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Boxing Day
One last update; the arrangement of sandboxes and the lone toolbox nestle (other chocolate purveyors are available) close to the smokebox.
509F9051-7476-499C-B213-8AB3512AA68E.jpeg
Bits from the Spares Dept. Courtesy of a long-departed (long, long, long…) NuCast Y5. The position of the toolbox meant that the grab handle (that would mirror the one on the Driver’s side) has to be placed on the front of the toolbox. Nothing much in the way of novel methodologies, but the toolbox is drilled and pinned into the footplate. Everything else is glued…

This view also shows the difference between the two side tanks.

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Return To The Fold

When one PALBRICK is not enough.. although this is a radical (and significantly lighter!) beast.

A few hours post-work have resulted in this neat little tray of layers. This will be a Diagram 1/024 (PALBRICK B). It’s a little kit from Ian MacDonald @Macgeordie. Very detailed instructions, and a well-thought out build so far. I like nickel silver. It’s clean, bright, and easy to solder.

This assembly is a simple couple of trays - one for the solebar and w-irons, one for the bufferbeam. Well located with tab and slot, and easy to solder. I did have to file a bit off the ends of the solebar to get it to sit tight in the bufferbeam tray, and the sides have to be perfectly vertical in order for the slots to align with the tabs, but that’s no bad thing. I was going to use my RSU on this build, but stuck with my 25W Weller instead. If I was building another one, I’d fold the etch bar between the W irons over AFTER I’d folded up the solebar sides. A Hold & Fold is very useful, here.

5658DC93-9C8E-4D84-B89E-B6EF790816A0.jpeg

The vacuum cylinder support is six discs stacked on top of each other. Saves on castings, I suppose… and ensures that nothing is wasted on the fret.

Cheers

Jan

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
That does look very good indeed - and much less effort than my stalled scratchbuilds - I'm in negotiation with a mate to try and get some side panels etched because I'm not confident that I can make them durable in plastic! I must admit that I wouldn't have considered the etch sandwich: I'd have lifted some Parkside spares (and if you want a couple, ask and they shall be in the post). Spot of epoxy and a replacement piston rod and job done.

Adam

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
That does look very good indeed - and much less effort than my stalled scratchbuilds - I'm in negotiation with a mate to try and get some side panels etched because I'm not confident that I can make them durable in plastic! I must admit that I wouldn't have considered the etch sandwich: I'd have lifted some Parkside spares (and if you want a couple, ask and they shall be in the post). Spot of epoxy and a replacement piston rod and job done.

Adam

Thanks @AJC

I should have been clearer in my post - missing words; the six washers are the support for the cast vacuum cylinder (which is supplied in the kit).

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
¡Overlay Overlay! ¡Arriba Arriba!

Hiding from the sun today. Not a fan, it has to be said. And as I get older, the weekend becomes more and more a post-work recovery slot.

Anyway, a bit more work on the PALBRICK. The floor has been added, and the solebar channels have been bent up and soldered on. I was worried about the holes for the strengthening ribs not being aligned (being as they are present in three layers), but the kit designer had thought of that.

The overlays were the trickiest bit; they are handed (one side has the representation of the rivets for the vacuum cylinder bracket), and they’re beautifully half-etch, so sweating them flat against the solebar was a tricky moment. Pre-tinning both surfaces is what I’ve come to do as default. Then it’s a simple matter of running the clean tip of the iron along, and listening for the sizzle. You can see I’ve had some solder leakage. But it looks worse then it is, and I can live with that.
F8AABBA5-8C9D-43BF-9355-6EDD3E86247B.jpeg

Cheers

Jan

jonte

Western Thunderer
¡Overlay Overlay! ¡Arriba Arriba!

Hiding from the sun today. Not a fan, it has to be said. And as I get older, the weekend becomes more and more a post-work recovery slot.

Anyway, a bit more work on the PALBRICK. The floor has been added, and the solebar channels have been bent up and soldered on. I was worried about the holes for the strengthening ribs not being aligned (being as they are present in three layers), but the kit designer had thought of that.

The overlays were the trickiest bit; they are handed (one side has the representation of the rivets for the vacuum cylinder bracket), and they’re beautifully half-etch, so sweating them flat against the solebar was a tricky moment. Pre-tinning both surfaces is what I’ve come to do as default. Then it’s a simple matter of running the clean tip of the iron along, and listening for the sizzle. You can see I’ve had some solder leakage. But it looks worse then it is, and I can live with that.
View attachment 145923

Cheers

Jan

Looks very neat, Jan. Nickel silver does indeed sound a user-friendly medium (noted).

Loving the title :))

Jonte

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Looks very neat, Jan. Nickel silver does indeed sound a user-friendly medium (noted).

Loving the title :))

Jonte

Coming on nicely - I have transfers for a couple of dozen of these and I have no intention of building more than four...

Adam

Indeed Nickel Silver is easier to solder.
Mind, if you are allergic to Nickel...
Gloves are a necessity at times. :eek:

Hello Chaps,

Thanks for your comments.

@jonte The neatness is ENTIRELY due to the excellence of the manufacturer. And possibly the fact that solder is a very similar colour to Nickel Silver :)

@AJC Ah.. I must get some more. I messed up a sheets-worth lettering the Keyser kit erlier in the thread; very fiddly with the wording on the end supports.. I think 4 is enough for anyone! I saw a 3D printed version on EBay a while back, but they've gone again...

@iak63 Crumbs. I'm Mr Rusty when it comes to anything with steel in it. I didn't realise there was a Nickel intolerance, too. I've not had an issue, so far. I offer my sympathies.

I've done a bit more...
C3554DE6-2A0C-4758-8792-BE672B8E148C.JPG

The floor supports (three different types) have been added. A simple push into those wonderful afore-mentioned slots. No issues encountered. Fiddly, but further evidence of a well thought out kit.

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
A Quick Quartet
The PALBRICK progresses. The bufferbeam overlays have been fitted - held in place by cocktail sticks as per instructions, and the waisted bearings have been soldered in. The brake cylinder has been drilled centrally to a accommodate the shaft, and glued, and one side panel had been bent up and over and soldered. And checked that it fits :)
5226F12C-99C0-4CB1-B886-54B28EED93B0.jpeg
The etches are clean and crisp, the instructions well thought out and copious, and everything still fits together very well. Compared to the old Keyser kit, there’s a LOT of work in this tiny platform. But a lot of fun, too. It’s a very guilty pleasure.

Cheers

Jan

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I like Palbricks and have always fancied a train of them. But no way am I prepared to build a dozen or so it's a case of waiting for Oxford or someone to do 'em ready-to-run. I look forward to seeing this one finished.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I like Palbricks and have always fancied a train of them. But no way am I prepared to build a dozen or so it's a case of waiting for Oxford or someone to do 'em ready-to-run. I look forward to seeing this one finished.

Hi @LarryG
Yes. Me too. They’re interesting little boxes, and evolved in several directions (including the SHELLCASE modified ones). You’d think there would be a case for RTR’ing them - I’m batch-building intolerant after the VANWIDE saga, so I’d be interested in a few, too.

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Sideshow Bob
The distinctive boards of the PALBRICK are soldered to the floor. A bit tricksy; the tabs at either end are sub-1mm in width, so the holes are very small to get the solder to wick through, and grab the tab. I’ve gone with a small dab of 63/37 rosin core (0.4 mm dia) solder on the angle joint between central stanchion and the tab on the solebar - the alloy will give an improved mechanical joint, I think. The central overlays will be glued in before painting - a cheat, perhaps, but the instructions suggest it, so that spoke to me as a good option.
8F65DE18-DE47-468E-8A91-6F3BB18D3593.jpeg
The overlays were held in place against the handle of the 4” square to ensure they were upright while I used the other hand to wield the 25 W Weller.

Cheers

Jan

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Very interested in this Jan as in my collection of unbuilt stuff I have! ;)

196F7A41-BDB5-4622-9638-50D35C1B5BB2.jpeg D781DDB2-9740-4451-87D9-79F02DF27529.jpeg 8DE3970C-BA74-419C-BFA6-A828F603A0E0.jpeg

Seems a lovely kit but I need to build some soldering skills before I attempt it!
I’ve had it ages, may sell it though yet………
Great chap too from his letter.
Picking up tips from your build here thanks for sharing.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Very interested in this Jan as in my collection of unbuilt stuff I have! ;)

Seems a lovely kit but I need to build some soldering skills before I attempt it!
I’ve had it ages, may sell it though yet………
Great chap too from his letter.
Picking up tips from your build here thanks for sharing.

That’s the doozie, @AdeMoore
Yes. I hope others can see from your pictures what a well thought out kit it is. My only quibble is that you need a PC to read the disc. And the photos aren’t merged with the instructions, so I have to keep flicking back and forth (as I spend all day on a PC for work, I was loathe to spend more time with it on, I printed off the instructions, and loaded the pictures onto my phone, accessing them only when I needed corroboration of something.).

If I didn’t have so many unbuilt kits myself, I’d make you an offer As to soldering; If I can do this, I’m more than sure you can.

Cheers

Jan