4mm Ivatt Class 2, 2-6-2 tank in P4

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave.

I really have no ide whether this cab photo will help but I'll bung it up here anyway. Space in the cab was somewhat restricted and I didn't have a wide angle lens so any view of the controls is, let's say, rudimentary - apart from which it's the wrong class. Perhaps the push pull controls were standardised by this time. I believe all that gubbins hanging on the smokebox is possibly push-pull gear.

It's 84002 as withdrawn at Southall on 5th December 1965.

84002.  Southall.  5 December 1965.  Personal Collection. copyright  FINAL.  Photo by Brian Dale.jpg

84002.  Third Shot.  Southall.  5 December 1965 copyright FINAL.jpg

Brian

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Brian. thanks for posting the photos. As you say, a different type of loco, but I'm sure the push-pull equipment was identical. I fully appreciate the restrictions with photographing inside the cab so it's quite an achievement to get that shot. I suspect the gubbins I'm looking for was just out of shot to the left, but thanks anyway.
Dave.

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Sod's law, I suppose.
I assume the loco is withdrawn for scrap but it seems a bit odd that both gauge glasses have lost the glass tube and protector frame yet large bore copper pipes are still in place. Weird.
Dave.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Bob Essery kindly sent me some details and an instruction booklet some 18 years ago. Tw pages scanned herewith in case they add any light....
WEB P&P instruction 1.jpgWEB P&P instruction 2.jpg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Definitely withdrawn, Dave. I suspect the loco was bought by weight by the scrappers assuming a certain amount of copper, brass etc. Maybe the glass and protector went to another loco.

Brian

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Thanks for posting Bob's information, Larry. It confirms my assumption that there was an additional valve, "the control handle", but doesn't help with what it looked like or where it was located.
In view of the inability of the Modelu crew to operate the controls, I suppose this is all a bit academic and the loco will just have to run without it (as the BR Standard version does). I am intrigued by it all, though.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
The backhead has been completed by the addition of the regulator handle, filed up from some scrap etch and suitably bent to shape - quite a pronounced "Z" shape in fact. The backhead and modified reverser have now been fixed to the cab floor/front and it, together with the cab back plate and inset doors have been trial fitted into the Bachmann body to check it all goes together properly, which it does, thankfully. The resulting assembly confirms that the detail incorporated is barely visible within the gloomy confines of the cab, as shown in the photos. Still, i know it's there.
Ivatt_2T_040.JPG

Ivatt_2T_041.JPG
I have to decide whether to chop out the moulded coal from the bunker or just to sprinkle real coal on top. If the former, it needs to be done before attaching the loose upper bunker to the main body.
Dave.

Pannier Tank

Western Thunderer
It's 84002 as withdrawn at Southall on 5th December 1965.

Brian

84002 a former Bletchley (1E) Engine I used to see on regular basis on the various local branch workings and occasionally as the Station Pilot. I wonder what was the number of the ex LMS 3F attached to 84002?

Pannier Tank

Western Thunderer
David, it was 47499.

Thank you for that Brian; I wondered if it was one of Bletchley's 3F that was attached to 84002, but, not so. 47499 was withdrawn from nearby Northampton so it makes sense that they were sent together to Wales. We had sister engine 47500 at Bletchley.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
David, 47432 and 47286 were in the same batch of locos which comprised in total 47432, 47286, 47499 and 84002. There was a row of GWR too. I have a photo of 47432 and 47500, but at Willesden.

Brian

Pannier Tank

Western Thunderer
David, 47432 and 47286 were in the same batch of locos which comprised in total 47432, 47286, 47499 and 84002. There was a row of GWR too. I have a photo of 47432 and 47500, but at Willesden.

Brian
Brian, Thankyou for the further information . 47432 was an ex Willesden Loco and 47286 was an ex Northampton Loco. I'd quite like to see any photograph of 47500 as I've had a few footplate rides on her when she was Bletchley Station Pilot, happy days.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I would imagine the push-pull controls were identical on Ivatt and Riddles Class 2 2-6-2Ts.. I say this because two of each were drafted to Lees 26F to replace borrowed L&Y 2-4-2T's that were covering for failed Fowler 2-6-2Ts, so it would be rubbing salt in if they had to be operated differently.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Yes, Larry, I bet the control arrangements were common to the Fowler, Ivatt and Riddles locos. Clearly, the external smokebox/front end arrangements differed between the earlier Fowler locos and later Class 2s.
I've been contemplating the cab seats - typical hinged wooden affairs but should I model them up (standing crew) or my usual down (seated crew)? I prefer the latter as I don't like to see model people frozen in mid action, such as shovelling coal. However, the excessively thick plastic sides of the cab and the need for the cab floor/front/backhead to remain loose and able to be inserted from below precludes the crew leaning an arm on the windowsill, as commonly seen. So, in this case, I'm tending towards standing crew with the seats in the upright position, which results in the top edge of the seats being above the bottom of the side windows and visible from outside. Just sorting out suitable material.
Dave.

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Well, that's it as far as detailing the cab interior goes, apart, that is, from providing a crew.
The last few additions were the regulator handle, the cab seats (represented in the upright position, as previously mentioned), the injector water valve handles and the manual blow-down operating handle.
Ivatt_2T_042.JPG
I might move on to to some further work on the body before fitting the fixed cab components to avoid the possible risk of handling damage.
Dave.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Can I just say this is an impressive piece of work. I’ve done a few backheads in 7mm scale, and yet none came close to what you’ve achieved here. :bowdown:

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Brian, Thankyou for the further information . 47432 was an ex Willesden Loco and 47286 was an ex Northampton Loco. I'd quite like to see any photograph of 47500 as I've had a few footplate rides on her when she was Bletchley Station Pilot, happy days.
Hi again David.

We're rather subverting Dave's thread. I'm happy to continue but if Dave would prefer us to create a new thread I'm more than happy to do so.

However, here's 47500 under repair at Willesden on 12th September 1964. It wasn't withdrawn until the following year so probably went back in to service.

Brian

47500.  Willesden.  12 September 1964.  copyright FINAL - Copy.jpg

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Brian. The subject matter does seem to have only a rather tenuous connection to the thread headline, so if it is to continue, it might be preferable to start a new thread?
Dave.