7mm Iceni Road TMD

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Will have to try the diagonals idea Jim.

Photo's of how I approached the diagonal stiffening dilema, post board design, here on my Kings Lynn thread, (post 63). Simple to install and instantly stops all the twist, without reducing flexibility of choice for locating point motors etc. (I always try to determine where any point motors will need to be located before fixing any bracing.)

http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/ind...n-stabling-point-1980s.1773/page-4#post-58508

Colin

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
Photo of progress so far. Track laid on the front and rear roads, the front fuel road up to the point and sleepers everywhere else except the rear fuel road as I really need the points in so I can finalise it's position.
Fuel roads laid with 'baulk road' style as per the LNWR depot at Cambridge for the XC Turbostars. (Will have to try and grab a photo next time I'm along that way!)
Do excuse the state of the carpets, despite me pointing out before we moved in nearly 2 years ago they didn't send anyone round til we were in and of course there were still mountains of boxes everywhere...
IceniRoad_Track1.jpg

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
yesterday afternoon I wired up the track that was laid, using some surplus mains cable with the insulation removed at strategic points to allow the droppers to be soldered to them.

I did make one important discovery thought... never attempt to wire a layout with two under 4s running around another room winding each other up, I managed to get four sets of droppers the wrong way round!

I will be ordering the bits for the points this month and will have to make the fiddle yard board at some point as well!

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
The track that is wired has been tested with the trusty 03 and it all works as it should. I am currently trying to source some brass for the continuous checkrail...

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
Pointwork started, just the rear rails to be added, once they have been filed to suit at the toe end of the blades. All lined up by eye and a (rather rusty!) set of C&L roller gauges. The line coming off the top point probably won't be as curved as that once laid...

IceniRoad_Track2.jpg

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
Trackwork complete! I just need to wire up the track behind the fuel road (gonna be used to park a TTA on so they can just pump from tank wagon to loco fuel tank, as per Freightliner at Ipswich, though I might inlcude a half relief fuel tanks somewhere).
IceniRoad_Track3.jpg

The fuel unloading track is slightly different to the rest in that I did it as s section of 'tramway' style track using brass U channel and 1mm sq brass rod. The Channel and the rod soldered to one side just happen to be the right dimensions to match the railhead width and checkrail distance of a C&L roller gauge... It is slightly shorter height wise than the Flatbottom stuff I have used, but a sheet of thin plastic card does the trick. The right hand rails do line up honest!! (I will probably support the ends of the normal rail before it all gets infilled as well)
IceniRoad_Track4.jpg

I need to sort out the checkrail for the rest of the trackwork, thinking either 1/8" strip or angle, depending on what I can get hold of. I'm trying to replicate the look of the track at Rover Swindon, as per the photo in Traction Annual 2008/9 on Page 87, though all of my track will be infilled.

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
the 03 had a dawdle round this afternoon once I'd wired up the last bit of track. Other than the frogs which are dead whilst waiting for point motors (and polarity switches) it made it along each bit of track without a problem, even though I haven't yet cleaned it all!

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
I think I have sorted what I am going to use for the checkrail, 1/8" brass angle, I picked up a couple of lengths at DEMU Showcase last saturday just to have a look. Not soldered anything yet but it looks ok...
Also managed to source some box profile cladding for the works buildings, just need to build them now!

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
I won't ;)
They will probably take the longest as I currently have nowhere to store the layout with buildings on!! It is currently sitting track facing the wall in a corner of my dining room sorry, computer and modelling room! Leeming Yard in sitting atop the box covering the gas meter(!) in the other corner!! (legs and storage yard for LY are in the shed at the far end of the garden)

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
some progress on Iceni Road, I have made a start on the works buildings, along with the exit backscene.

First photo: the coach is poking out of the shell of the wagon/coach building, the 03 is sitting in front of the exit backscene 'inside' the loco shed.
IceniRoad_Bldgs1.jpg

This photo has a TTA on the fuel unloading pad, the 03 is now roughly where the front of the loco shed will be.
IceniRoad_Bldgs2.jpg

GJH Polybulk poking out the wagon shop.
IceniRoad_Bldgs3.jpg

Apologies for the quality, used the phone!

I'm still undecided as to how far along the loco shed will come, part of me says slightly further than the wagon shop and another part of me says level with it, or even slightly shorter.

C

Celticwardog

I live in Colchester, and while the Iceni reference does actually make sense because of Bodiceas sacking...the actual celt tribe in Colchester was actually Trinovantes....Iceni Bodicea was actually from the Ipswich area...so you could use Trinovantes (Trin-O-Van-Tees) somewhere, it sounds cool.

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
I'm in Ipswich, and the names of my layouts have always had a 'local' name for where I am living at the time they are built! The board for Iceni Road was actually built in Seaham but the tracklaying was done in Ipswich!
On a more sombre note, 2 hours work and my other layout, Leeming Yard, is now just bits of track and bits of wood!..

... which leaves me with 10/12 yards of track and me eying up the fence which I could attach a small shelf to...

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
I have started the 'infil' round the track and round the fuel point. Things are starting to happen now, I have even put a couple of structures on... only buffer stops but still!