Hello

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Have just retired so turning back to ralway modelling, and would like to say hello. Potted history- lifelong interest in the MSWJR led to some scaleseven items in the past including a couple of locos, but more recently a few items for G3. A Fred Phipps 1/32 Warship is on order as a gesture toward  school years spent watching the steam/ diesel transition at Andover. It may remain a stand alone trophy or could lead to more- I would like a BR/SR fixed rake of (green!) Mk 1's to go with it actually. Very impressed by the superb modelling standards being achieved by contributors to this forum, and intrigued by the 'table top' technology now available although I know nothing yet about current technology. Indeed, I am sat here in front of the Mac looking at two presents - 'Turbo Cad Mac Pro' and 'ViaCad 2D/3D' and wondering whether either would act as a decent tool for model orientated work such as laser cutting and etching. Will need to pluck up the courage to plug one in. I can see much of interest in this sort of work so look forward to learning. I hope to learn from, and  contribute to, this polite, erudite, knowledgeable and enthusiastic forum.  Thank you.

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
jamiepage said:
. I hope to learn from, and  contribute to, this polite, erudite, knowledgeable and enthusiastic forum.  Thank you.

Some people say the nicest things ;D

Hi Jamie.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
I hope a photo of scaleseven MSWJR carriage truck is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3537.JPG
    IMG_3537.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 10

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Hi Jamie.

A very warm welcome to Western Thunder.  :)

As a S7 modeller myself, I'm very impressed with your wagon, even though it's way out of my period (BR Western Region 1960 - 1975).  :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi Jamie, welcome !

S7 wagon looks very nice indeed (but then I am biased), do you plan to do some more S7?

Have to ask, where are you based ? Part of the SW contingent perhaps ?

JB.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Welcome Jamie!

I like your wagon too, as another S7 modeller, and it's even further out of my era (1991) than Dan's!

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Hello, and thank you for your comments. Mind you, these electronic cameras and zoom facilities are quite ruthless aren't they. Have never seen such a close- up before.
The spring hangers were an early attempt at white metal casting using a soldered- up master and a centrifuge- type casting machine. Once I'd learnt how to stop the thing spinning off like a Masterchef  blooper, it proved to be very useful. The cosmetic springs hide a coil spring set up (probably Slaters). All good fun. I appreciate the MSWJR is outside the centre of gravity of this forum (datewise anyway), but I'm glad the model is of some interest. The loco here at least made it to grouping, got reboilered and painted green. I built maybe a dozen wagons and two locos. 12- 15 years ago, all to put flesh on research really. I have recently started to do the same (ie MSWJR) in G3 (22.5mm/ ft) just for interest, and am awaiting the 1/32 Warship. Not sure yet where the main modelling interest may rest in retirement but I do like the idea of learning how to use all these new (to me) electronic type processes- CAD, CAM etc. A return to S7 is appealing, but so is 1/32 FS, and the G3. And I recently bought a rake of Lionheart open wagons for some reason. Hmmm.

Attachments

• IMG_3543.JPG
    IMG_3543.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 39

28ten

Guv'nor
jamiepage said:
I appreciate the MSWJR is outside the centre of gravity of this forum (datewise anyway), but I'm glad the model is of some interest. The loco here at least made it to grouping, got reboilered and painted green. I built maybe a dozen wagons and two locos. 12- 15 years ago, all to put flesh on research really. I have recently started to do the same (ie MSWJR) in G3 (22.5mm/ ft) just for interest, and am awaiting the 1/32 Warship. Not sure yet where the main modelling interest may rest in retirement but I do like the idea of learning how to use all these new (to me) electronic type processes- CAD, CAM etc. A return to S7 is appealing, but so is 1/32 FS, and the G3. And I recently bought a rake of Lionheart open wagons for some reason. Hmmm.
Not at all, its Western territory, its an excellent model, Its S7. seems to be smack in the middle of the demographic to me  :)) :)) Please feel free to post the G3 as well.

With reference to software, as long as you can produce accurate 2d drawings and it will export to dxf then you have all you need. Draftsight http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/ is now available for the Mac and it is free and outputs dxf.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Thank you very much. And thank you for the link to Draftsight- I will download it tonight. Attached photo shows very early progress on three timber wagons to G3. Mike Williams Models produces a range of superb kits for mainly LNWR wagons and coaches, but including an iron Mink, and his range of accessories- springs, buffers etc- is saving useful time with these. Don't know where this might go, if anywhere. I have cut frames etc for a live steam 4-4-4T and envisaged a scale station etc outside in the garden as a potential project. But, have found some Spur II (also2 1/2 in. gauge) videos on utube showing what the Germans are doing with steam/ diesel outline electric models in a fully sceniced inside layout; the idea of something similar is also appealing. Mind you, don't have the space inside. This may well  all be pie in the sky and the result of too much spare time suddenly available , so perhaps the sooner the Warship arrives, the better.

Attachments

• IMG_3529.JPG
    IMG_3529.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 9

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Jamie,

Always nice to have another MSWJR modeller here; even if we're in different periods (I'm modelling the early nationalisation period in 0 finescale).  I'd love to make a model of one of the 2-4-0s though and have been searching for the works drawings for a while...

I'm also a TurboCAD user - I find all sorts of uses for it and have used it for etch design on and off for a few years.

Good to have you here,

Steph

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Big fan of Gauge 3!

I saw it at Ally Pally earlier this year, and I nearly packed up the Scale7 stuff in a box...

JB.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Thank you both. Ref  drawings for the 2-4-0. No, I haven't found a copy of the Dubs drawing for the locos. I do have a copy of their GA for the tender, but it's massive- something like 5 ft by 3, and also quite faint. I also have a copy of the GWR weight diagram drawn with the loco in MSWJR condition with original boiler, and a copy of a similar weight diagram from the MSWJR Engineers office dated 1902. I guess you have copies of these weight diagrams? They don't give any more info. than in Mike Barnsley's standard reference, but would be happy to supply if not.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Jamie,

Apparently the tender is the same as a Manson GSWR one, so that's the direction I'll be looking for info.  For the loco the GA is needed and I've tried emailing the Glasgow Museum, University Library, etc, etc. and got nowhere so far.  Well, I've got enough to do, it's just a bit of a frustration...

Steph

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
jamiepage said:
  I hope to learn from, and  contribute to, this polite, erudite, knowledgeable and enthusiastic forum.  Thank you.
Ermmm... hang on, I'll get a Dictionary...  p-o-l-i-t-e... e-r-u-d-i-t-e...
Sure you have the right place??!!?? :)) :)) :))

Welcome aboard, Sir!! :wave: