Hello

Western Thunderer
Hello

I actually joined this forum last year, a first for me as I have never used social media or anything similar. So, in the process of discovering how these things work, I now see there is a facility to introduce oneself. Hence this ‘Hello’.

I have found some amazing modelling on this site. In terms of modelling approaches and techniques, I have already discovered more ‘unknown unknowns’ than I thought possible. I hope to learn from others and will apply what is relevant as best I can to building (and I hope completing) my own layout.

My real railway interests are very wide, from current operation to 19th century, but essentially UK railways of all kinds. I am old enough to remember seeing one BR steam engine in service on a family holiday in 1967 or ‘68. I did see industrials in South Wales (and elsewhere) in the late 1970s. Mostly though teenage memories are traditional railway, 16t minerals full of coal in NE England and later South Wales, albeit Diesel hauled with 37s, 40s etc.

The wide interest in real railways has resulted in me never being able to agree with myself on a single period for modelling. Over the years, I have acquired a diverse selection of rolling stock and locomotives, nearly all 0 gauge. Essentially, the only common factor was I liked the prototype enough to buy the model. About twenty years ago, a start was made on an 0 gauge layout. The baseboards were built, some track laid and a few small elements of scenery constructed. Progress since has been glacial and intermittent as the rest of life took priority. Last year, I retired and have resolved to progress the layout, at the very least much more quickly, but ideally to a point where it can be operated, and in a perfect world to finish it.

I have a particular liking for vintage models. Whilst not finescale, and nowhere near as visually accurate as today’s models, there is a sort of authenticity that comes from being not a model of a locomotive built in the 1930s, but genuinely a locomotive built in the 1930s. As a teenager, I read about Crewchester, the Sherwood Section of the LMS and Paddington to Seagood. Those were the layouts I wanted to emulate. Complete systems that allowed railway-like operation. There is no possibility of me having anything of the size or complexity of those lines. But I have a space 23’ x 10’ and I aim to build something that follows the same general approach. I am not sure my efforts will be of much interest to others as this is definitely not pioneering development of new techniques. I aim however to capture something of the character of the traditional railway. I would be happy to post on layout progress if there is interest, but really I am here to watch and learn.

Martin

Western Thunderer
Thank you, Heather.

So here is a photo!

This is one of a few places where track and scenery was installed some years ago.

As I do properly remember industrial (as opposed to main line) steam, my layout has a branch to be worked as an industrial system connected to exchange sidings. This is one of the industrials that will operate the branch. It’s a very pretty Peckett (I think so, anyway) manufactured by Bond’s in the 1930s. Bond’s o’Euston Road were an ancient model engineering company who between the wars retailed model railways by all the major UK manufacturers. In the late 1920s they introduced this model, the first ready-to-run model of their own manufacture. So they called it the ‘Bonzone’ as a homophone for ‘Bond’s own’, to distinguish it from the models made by others they also retailed.

Martin

6985FC9F-47FE-43AD-8ACE-6B1FA60B01ED.jpeg

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Welcome Martin. Always liked Bonzone - such a well balanced little engine. Also like your track with steel chairs - Jubb maybe? Sherwood and Crewchester were great examples of their era. Course scale and clockwork, but somehow it worked and when you were there running trains in the proper way, as Norman eagles did, things like course scale and brakes couldn't be seen. There's something "right" about being a signalman, setting the road, letting go of the clockwork engine ... and then there is nothing you can do to stop it - just like the real thing!

Mike

Western Thunderer
Thank you also, Mike.

The track is a type made by Bassett-Lowke. It was marketed under the name ‘Lowko track’. Devised by George Winteringham (the Northampton works manager) in about 1908, it was produced until around 1935. The sales pitch for Lowko track was that it was more realistic than tinplate track (though more expensive) and cheaper than the scale model permanent way (though less realistic). In price terms, it was closer to the scale model permanent way as it had to be hand assembled. In the end, it was withdrawn from sale when the cheaper version of the permanent way track (with fewer sleepers than standard) was introduced at roughly the same price as Lowko track.

To me, the Lowko track has a nice vintage look. It was also produced in brass for outdoor use. The electric track (raised centre third rail) was also brass. Prior to WW1 there was a good range of ready made track pieces in 0 gauge including curves in three radii. After WW1, the range was reduced to two radii, straights, left and right hand points and complete crossovers, facing and trailing. But parts and track making kits were sold for making custom track-work at home.

The biggest disadvantage with Lowko track is the points. The switch blades are continuous with the wing rails (no joint) so their movement is down to their flexibility. The rails are fixed at the crossing and to the tie bar at the toe of the switch blades by a soldered join. The point lever is rather too rigidly fixed to the tie bar and tends to push/pull both switch blades sideways, without rotation around the notional pivot point near the crossing. The result is that, with use, the soldered joints fail. Invariably, the switch blades are detached at one or both ends. Resoldering is tricky (wooden sleepers, rusty steel rails, other nearby soldered joints) and isn’t really a solution to the design fault. I do have solutions that should be a permanent fix, but each point is then a significant piece of work.

I am however irrevocably committed to Lowko track as the base boards were constructed to accommodate the track geometry based on its 15” lengths and 3’ 2 1/4” inch radius curves.

The photo below gives a better view of the track and also fulfils what I understand to be a requirement for a Western loco.

Martin4F8D74B6-48C9-49FE-BDCD-93A84CB83699.jpeg

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi Martin
There is something about Models from the years gone by that fascinate me, could you please show a photo of the points you spoke about.
David.

Western Thunderer
Certainly, David.

I will need to take the picture, though, as I don’t think I have a photo of points as such.

I might start a thread on layout progress, so I could start that with the track.

Martin

Western Thunderer
So, thank you to those responding with welcomes, comments or likes.

It does seem more logical to answer David Waite’s question in a new thread in ‘Layout Progress’. So I shall start one. It will go by the name ‘Rivermead Central’.

Martin

Reactions: AJC