Hello There. Best Introduce Myself

Hello,

Another name you may recognise from over there! ;)

Been looking for something a bit different of late and more relaxed.

I model for enjoyment and meeting like minded people-why be aggressive? I'm not too concerned if there's a vacuum pipe missing or there's a rivet out of place as long as there's a feel for the subject and it makes me happy then I'm not going to loose sleep on it. Afterall, isn't life hard enough without turning something you enjoy in to a confrontation?

That's enough of that anyway. :))

I've think like most others on here my interest in railways stems from my childhood, the trainset and trainspotting (Though that may be pushing it). One thing I have always done since my teens is improve the appearance of models through repainting or weathering. Badly in those days no doubt. Also I enjoyed building kits.

Hence I think I'm more of a modeller and track work and electrics aren't my strong point.

However, I'm in the process of building a small micro layout based on the Northamptonshire Ironstone industry called Juniper Hill. I will start posting an account of the build of this soon.

My other interests include the GWR and I'm planning a small micro-layout set in the Teign Valley around 1946-47.

Then again-there's that Brian Madge OO9 quarry Hunslet sat on my workbench. Hmmmmm! This may play a role in my future plans too.:)

Cheers,

Mark

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
My other interests include...

Welcome to the Madhouse is a frequent opening gambit here, closely followed by a request for pikkies.

So other interests?
* old buildings... humm, Alec Clifton Taylor - nice.
* folk music... fine.
* canals.... yep that will do.

regards, Graham

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
welcome Mark, it pays to have the broadest of mindsets here, oh and a passing interest in model railways helps.

cheers

Mike

Thanks for the replies .

There'll be a few photos along the way as well as some updates.

'Alec Clifton Taylor - nice'

Did have to look this one up though! :D

Cheers,

Mark

Tony West

Western Thunderer
Welcome Mark, to the fruit cake farm !!!, the internets very own care in the community forum:eek:.
Dont worry about wobbly rivets ....just dont mention a certain colour !!!! ....oop's:oops:.
Cheers Tony.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Not me neither, Hi mate:thumbs: don't worry about mentioning the hallowed colour:bowdown: it's ok we have our own rest room don't you know and it's not called the green:confused: room:))

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
Evening Mark. I've occasionally seen your stuff elsewhere - on here, I might actually be able to find it:)

However, I'm in the process of building a small micro layout based on the Northamptonshire Ironstone industry called Juniper Hill. I will start posting an account of the build of this soon.

This sounds interesting, one of my own pet subjects:cool:

28ten

Guv'nor
Hmm, the only Juniper hill I know is near Brackley in Oxfordshire :) Wasnt there limestone on the Banbury and Cheltenham, at Bloxham as well?

Hmm, the only Juniper hill I know is near Brackley in Oxfordshire :)
Evening Guv,

Yes you guessed you're right of course about the Juniper Hill near Brackley ;).

However, near to Kettering there may well have been an ironstone quarry by this name as well that stopped working in the 1970's:). Apparantly the quarry line was worked by two Sentinel shunters named 'Cranford' and 'Twywell'.

Later on an Hunslet design could be seen working from the Corby area called 'Pipewell No. 3'.

Cheers,

Mark

Evening Mark. I've occasionally seen your stuff elsewhere - on here, I might actually be able to find it:)

Yes you certainly have Pennine and you've helped me with wagon questions many a time.;)

This sounds interesting, one of my own pet subjects:cool:

My layout called Juniper Hill will have an essence of the ironstone railways being a 3ft x 1ft micro-layout.

Storefield Quarry near Geddington/Corby has been inspirational as well as the quarries around Cranford.

Thomas E Gray's at Burton Latimer has also provided inspiration (Though not strictly ironstone) having both standard and narrow gauge systems as well as the preserved Sentinel 'Isebrook' working there.