Heljan Western Enterprise plates

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hi All

Sorry if we've been here before but I have been asked to commission a Heljan Western as the above loco. I opened the box and the Guilplates supplied are laughingly rubbish, especially the cast BR crest. I wonder if anyone knows of a better quality cast crest and whether the Sevenmill or Fox etched plates are the best replacement?

Nick
Look at me posting on a GWR forum, I'll be watching Sheffield United next!

alcazar

Severn Mill for me......but all etched plates will slightly disappoint for showing 3-d plates like the cast plaques fitted to D1000, the foxes on 60017 etc.

Have a look at the foxes on a Golden Age A4.....they have been cast, or stamped and are 3-d and spot on....but who can afford £2000+ for a loco just to get better plates.
And they won't sell the foxes seperate.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
What time period nick?
D1000 didn't get the air control pipes until around 1964 the ones directly under the buffers also heljan have moulded the extra bracket on the lamp brackets this only came in in the late 60s to take standard BR pattern lamps.

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hi Mr Castle, and all

The engine is in early desert sand livery so I would appreciate any pointers about what to add or remove. Also I have works plates in the Severnmill set and I'm not sure where they go...

Thanks in anticipation

Nick

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Nick,
Somewhat off topic, but if you're doing the loco in its earliest condition is the grille behind the cab correct? Shouldn't it be a plain grille rather than being a hatch?
Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Works plates are black-backed, central over the cut-out in the side skirt.
Just checked in Birt.

There's some interesting stuff on this forum about repositioning the headcode box, the PDH window etches might be worth a thought?.

Steph

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
image.jpg
Moving the headboard clips and 4 character box up is well worth doing, it makes a big visual impact.
Here's my D1000 in 1962/63 condition
She's now down with Fred for a good dirtying up!!
JLTRT haven't done a dedicated detailing set although you can order individual bits if there not to busy.

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
I think it is well known what I think of Guilplates. So here's a little more ammunition in my magazine.

20140630_075815_zpsec1e7dd9.jpg

The example on the right has no definition on the BR crest, they are not cut out very well at all, and the nameplate is WAAAAY too small. Apart from that they're ok. Severnmill on left.

Nick

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Totally agree Nick they are Sh!te
There ornate WR head boards are great though so I don't know why there other plates are so bad, don't get me started on there smoke box door plates!!!