Hawksworth Auto trailer for Yelverton

Alex W

Western Thunderer
This Hawksworth auto trailer will form one of the Plymouth-Tavistock auto trains on my model of Yelverton. The model is Bachmann with additional fittings below the buffer beam using the 3d printed parts by David Lane. Weathered with Mig paints and weathering powders. DSCF2407.jpg I need something to pull it now. I'd like a 64xx in BR lined green, but they are really difficult to come by, so its probably going to have an auto fitted 4575.
DSCF2405.jpg All this gives rise to a question. What were the crewing arrangements in BR days? Presumably, driver, fireman and guard, but what were their positions when the train was being propelled?
DSCF2401.jpg
Alex

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Driver in the coach cab, fireman running the engine, guard minding the brake (he shouldn’t have ridden with the driver but I’m told such things happened...).

Adam

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
As @AJC says, in 'push' mode - driver in coach driving cab, fireman in loco and the guard (depending on the stock, especially on the Southern) in the coach issuing tickets or in the driving cab. In 'pull' mode both driver and fireman would be in the loco.

To look effective when operating the train in either direction I would have the driver in the coach cab - who could double up as the guard in 'pull' mode; the guard standing in the coach who would appear as the guard in 'push' mode or as a standing passenger in 'pull' mode and the lone fireman (preferably an 'at rest' rather than a 'Pompeii'* figure) in the loco.

*my term for action or in motion figure poses which to me look unnatural in the model railway setting with the classics being the shovelling fireman and the waving driver (hand on regulator).