Prototype Hants & Dorset 1970s and 80s

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
Selection of shots here taken by father John, and myself - bit of a leaning towards 33s around Weymouth - I make no apologies!

First is a summer 1974 shot - with an Up boat train making its way along the quay - 11 years earlier father grabbed a cab ride over the quay line on pannier 1363 - he was jogging alongside it as it set off on a rake of van-fits full of Gurnsey toms, from the quay - without out stopping the driver told him to climb on!

I love this shot - with the cars (new Capri in shot and a Hillman at the T junction behind flagmen) and the gaffer with the flat cab, the hand dustcart and a long players hanging off his lip - RH side - priceless - could be a Peter Sellers character - yer mate

IMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG
I took this shot 13 years later in August 1987 - almost in the same location looking the other way.

Then a year later in May 1988 was the farewell to push pull class 33s - as the Weymouth line electrification occurred, with a 33 on two TC rakes - we visited ~ Hamworthy Quay, Furzebrook, Weymouth Quay and then shot upto Yeovil Pen Mill Mill, reverse and unto Yeovil Jn, so this is the scene at Weymouth Quay I captured as a donation occurred - to fund preservation of a class 33/1.

IMG_1115.JPG

Jump back a year now to 1987 and this is Dibles Wharf - branch off the Southampton Eastleigh main line, from Northam Yard - in the 60s the B4 tank Corrall Queen worked the line - which was displaced by a Baguley Diesel (ex Bass Breweries) and this ungainly beast - an 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke ex Manchester Ship canal - the loco had just arrived on the quayside by the coal drops with 3 air braked HEA wagons of house coal - ex Radyr. I had cab ridden the loco, from the first level crossing - by the gas holders - the driver saw me photting and he shouted out 'climb up son for a ride down to the quay' - so I thought rude not to!
IMG_3066.JPG

Then a last diesel one this morning - May 1988 - the same day as the class 33 push-pull farewell a sister engine rolls a London Weymouth train into Wareham - I recollect with the rail tour there was a shunt at Wareham, which meant we all got off the train.
PICT0009.JPG

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
Sticking with May 1988 - and father and i did the push-pull farewell rail tour - in this post heres the 33 heading toward Bournemouth - note the old goods shed on the right - I took this next batch of shots. 33103 was the machine powering the rail tour - a few shots at Furzebrook - which at the time loaded clay and crude oil (the latter for Fawley), this ceased about 1990 then a flow of LPG ran to Avonmouth until Summer 2005.

Then wind back two years - to August 1986 and I snapped this 47 on the Furzebrook Fawley working which was daily in 100 tonne bogie tank wagons. Railtour photos of May 88 follow.
IMG_2986.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

IMG_2985.JPG