Greetings From New Member

G

gruntfuttock

Good evening all from gruntfuttock (a.k.a Rich Brown).

Steve Cook twisted my arm at the recent CAMRAIL show into joining the forum, so here I am! I have been modelling in 7mm scale for the last 16 years - starting in finescale, then Scale7 and finally back to finescale. My main interests are the London, Brighton & South Coast Rly., railways around London during the Victorian/Edwardian period, BR 1960's - 1970's and London Transport buses.

My current modelling work is scratchbuilding rolling stock for a planned small (8' x 2' ish) layout depicting a goods yard somewhere in the London area. I'm thinking about making use of wagon turntables and capstans to add interest, so I'll be pleased to hear from anyone regarding the pitfalls of such things on a layout!

-RB

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Hi Rich,

It was a pleasure to meet you at Camrail and pick your brains.

See you again next year I guess...:)

And welcome to the forum ;)

Steph

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Welcome Rich:)

It was good to meet you at CAMRAIL and fellow LBSC modeller:cool: . LT buses as well, even better, alas mine are models of the green country versions.

Bob

Western Thunderer
[quote="
My current modelling work is scratchbuilding rolling stock for a planned small (8' x 2' ish) layout depicting a goods yard somewhere in the London area.
-RB[/quote]

Presumably this will be set just off the Balls Pond Road in the kingdom of Peasemoldia?:))

:p

Bob

Railwaymaniac

Western Thunderer
Welcome in, Rich;

And I, for one, am looking forward to seeing pictures of how you manage all this scratchbuilding . . .
Post them piccies, folk in here are gaging for them! :thumbs:

Ian

daifly

Western Thunderer
Welcome Rich. Does your forum name mean anything?
J Peasmold Gruntfuttock, played by Kenneth Williams, was a character on 'Round the Horne' who wanted nothing more than to get his hands on Judith Chalmers. He was also the self-styled King, and later Dictator, of Peasmoldia, a small area of London just off the Balls Pond Road. Hence Bob's comment in post #7.
'Round the Horne' was a BBC radio comedy written in the early episodes by Barry Took & Marty Feldman which ran for many years during the 60s and repeated occasionally on Radio 4 Extra.
Rich will have to explain the reason for calling himself after 'the world's dirtiest old man'!

Simon

Flying Squad
Gruntfuttock - a fine character, welcome indeed!

All we need now is "Bona Trains", "Hello my name's Julian and this my friend Sandy...."

"He's got the very thing - ooh I've got the very thing..."

I just love Round the Horn. Courtesy of Daifly I'm listening to it on Itunes as I type on this here 21st Century Western Thunder - who needs television?

:)

Simon

PS I found the shoe box of your LBSCR castings - I've taken them to the shop pending your next visit.

Bob

Western Thunderer
All we need now is "Bona Trains", "Hello my name's Julian and this my friend Sandy...."
Ooh, Isn't he bold!

Non-followers of Round the Horne will wonder what the heck we're on about but I'll simply add I've just been speaking to Mr Gruntfuttock and he'll be back on line tomorrow......when I hope he'll be able to tell us all he's finally sorted his baseboards out.:p Come on Rich, get those lovely wagons on a layout!

Bob

G

gruntfuttock

Good morning. Thank you for all the welcome messages - a nice surprise!

On the workbench at present are a couple of Brighton goods brake vans (one for me, one for a customer), a Brighton open D wagon nicely cast in resin by Simon, a North London Rly. sand wagon and three Brighton coal trucks. On the subject of coal, I use the stuff marketed as "Eezyloads - Seams Like Coal". It comes in various sizes and I think it looks pretty good - see eBay or www.eezyloads.co.uk (it's not me!)

By the way, you'll probably see a lot of banter between 'Bob' and 'Gruntfuttock' on the subject of layout design and and baseboards. It goes a bit like this - Gruntfuttock "I've come up with this design, what do you think?" Bob "Um, it will be boring to operate." Gruntfuttock "OK and back to the sketchpad I go ..." - a conversation that has been onging for the past 40+ years!