Prototype From my archives

Bob

Western Thunderer
Have just spent a while sorting through boxes of old photographs and found the following little gem. It must have been taken by my mother as it dates from approx 1968/69 and I would have been about 5 at the time and I did not possess a camera until I was 12. I can almost hear the noise of the DMU rattling away before heading off for Swindon or Cardiff and the steady rumble of the Type 4 (or 47 in modern lingo:))) pulling in on a northbound train. The smell of all those lovely exhaust fumes too.........very nostalgic:'(.
Not quite the same today with maybe a Voyager or Sprinter. This was the lovely immediately post-steam railway green railway in all its glory.
I can add some blue-era stuff too if you like:).

scan0003.jpg

Bob

Western Thunderer
Doh!:eek:

Sorry there folks, I am indeed talking of Cheltenham (Lansdown).

:headbang: Must remember to put brain in tomorrow.

Bob

Western Thunderer
And what is special about Thursday 30th May compared to Wednesday 29th May 2013?

Quite simply that perhaps then I'll not make "newbie" errors like forget to add the location of a photo;).

Not, I'd imagine, the way Steam Enthusiasts would've described it at the time....:rolleyes: ;)

True, very true and this was so soon after the demise of steam which I can just recall from the long defunct station at Cheltenham St. James (I was only 3 then too). Whilst my modelling period is c1955 the "green diesel" period up until the end of the "corporate blue" era is particularly fascinating. If I can get around to scanning them in I have quite a few slides from the last days of the hydraulics too.

Bob

Western Thunderer
OK then, as promised here's a few from the blue period (this particular batch being right at the end of that era).

WT members are free to copy and use these for non-profit purposes but please credit them "R J Brown", thanks .

First few are of Knottingley depot c1986. I didn't keep full notes then having recently returned to railway interests following a spell devoted to other activities, girls, parties, gigs, fast cars and girls.

Knottingley1.jpg Knottingley2.jpgKnottingley3.jpg

Now on to late August 1987 and some shots of Tinsley.

45137 on the left slowly being stripped for spares.

Tinsley1.jpg.

Tinsley2.jpg

Now back to 1985 and 03371 sits at Newcastle Central whilst on pilot duties. Happily 03371 survives having been preserved at the wonderful Rowden Mill station in Herefordshire.

Newcastle1.jpg

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
First few are of Knottingley depot c1986. I didn't keep full notes then having recently returned to railway interests following a spell devoted to other activities, girls, parties, gigs, fast cars and girls.

Great pics Bob :):thumbs: I passed Knottingley today, but not a single loco to be seen these days:(

More pics please :)........especially BR (WR) :cool::cool::cool::drool:

Phill :thumbs:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
... and Tinsley doesn't even exist.... :eek: :( :'(... like so many other great old Depots....:headbang:

Coming back on the train from Glasgow we passed ......
Eastfield...completely gone and a purpose built service shed (long and thin) in its place.
Craigentinny...... carriage shed i know but seemed to be a lot bigger when it was loco hauled stock.
Gateshead.....completely gone . New industrial estate/office blocks etc.

Thats just a few.... very sad:'( anyway sorry to hyjack this thread.

Rob:)

Bob

Western Thunderer
Great pics Bob :):thumbs: I passed Knottingley today, but not a single loco to be seen these days:(

I'd hate to see it like that Phil :(

... and Tinsley doesn't even exist.... :eek: :( :'(... like so many other great old Depots....:headbang:

I've not been back since the early 90's and to think it's all gone:'(. I'll keep thinking of it as it was I think.
Somewhere are a load from one of my favourite depots - Shirebrook. We hit it one Sunday in the late 80's and it was crammed with various types. Someone sent me a pic the other day as it is now and it's very sad indeed.

Any hoo.... A few more from the vaults. Nothing very special this time. Just spent a while sorting through the attic looking for more of the Yorkshire stuff but can't find the box (there is a lot of clutter up there:eek:). I'll get my brother (Gruntfuttock on here.......but he's not posted since last Summer) to scan a load of my 70's & 80's slides. If he can be pursuaded to post some of his, now you're talking for BR blue & hydraulic stuff!

Here we have 37235 heading south past High Street yard in Cheltenham. It dates from July September 1979 and is among a batch of slides taken over 3 gloriously sunny days spent by the lineside (on BR property too) and I was getting paid for it :thumbs:. The local council wanted to build houses in an adjoining orchard so as a young technical assistant I was posted trackside to look after some noise monitoring devices. Needless to say the houses didn't get built. The yard was in regular use for coal traffic and I even got to see the small industrial shunting the yard a few times, something which was rather difficult from the nearest road.
High Street Goods.jpg

Gloucester Horton Road depot sometime in the early 80's (I wish I'd kept proper notes).
Horton Road.jpg

A few years later on and we see another 37 heading through Gloucester. Sorry, can't make out the number:(.

Gloucester.jpg

c1984 and here is 47348 resting at Hereford Barrs Court station. The Hillman Avenger wasn't mine, I drove there in my Cortina mkIII (very Gene Hunt:))). Always had a soft spot for this station and often found something interesting on the traction front at this stabling point.

Barrs Court.jpg

OK, back to Cheltenham and without a loco in sight. From the classic blue period though (1979).

Lansdown.jpg

Still at Cheltenham on the same day and a look at the closed Honeybourne line. For those familiar with Cheltenham this is where the road down to Waitrose is now and the trackbed is where the "Sydney Harbour Bridge" cyclepath bridge is. The track was still down in 1979 although disconnected from the Bristol to Birmingham line.

Cheltenham.jpg

Bob

Western Thunderer
Have been sorting through some more boxes of slides this afternoon and will get a selection scanned next week.
Lots of blue diesels and a gloriously sunny shot of a Western & 47 at Westbury.
Haven't found the box which includes the bulk of the 52's though........:(....but I will:thumbs:
Some of the cheaper film I used at times (being only a schoolboy then) has begun to go a funny colour so that's another reason to get scanning now!

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Bob,

Yes mate get scanning asap. I dont think i can hold out much longer waiting for these scans of the wonderful Hydraulics:D. I hav'nt had a western pic fix for ages , ive got the shakes:))

I eagerly look forward to your scanned pics, especially the westerns:D

Rob:)........................who tends to go on about westerns rather alot as members on here will tell you:oops:

Bob

Western Thunderer
OK, I've received the first batch of scanned slides back from Gruntfuttock (sorry Rob, no westerns in this batch:().
It's amazing how as a youth I would think my latest shots were good but looking back now there's a lot of :shit: amongst them but I'll post them warts and all as there may be something of historical interest amongst them. As I've said before I used some really dodgy film....who remembers Orwachrome, Perutz etc? Even used Boots own brand.
Anyhow, here's a few to go on with.

c1979 and it's early morning at Edinburgh Waverley and having alighted from the sleeper at silly o'clock, whilst hunting down a breakfast this loomed into view.......

001.jpg

Back to September '79 and another from Cheltenham High Street yard whilst doing noise tests.

002.jpg

Still at Cheltenham but another day and 37187 pounds through heading south. If I remember correctly this was the day I bought my trusty Praktica MTL3 and it is slightly out of focus but it was moving pretty swiftly!

003.jpg

Many of these shots have not seen the light of day for 30 years and it's a real nostalgia trip for me, hope you enjoy them too......more on the way.....:)......for now though, back to work.

Bob

Western Thunderer
But i hope you've found those blue hydraulic pics;)

Fear not Rob, I'll find them:cool:......much too hot in the attic today though:confused:

In the meantime folks..........

A glimpse of Saltley c1980...........I dread to think what's on the site now but at a guess.... Tesco/B&Q/Nando's/Asda?* delete as applicable. Not a good photo by any stretch of the imagination but a good conversation piece.

004.jpg

A class 310 (or AM10 as I prefer to call them) in one of the bay roads at Rugby. Such beautiful looking units.

012.jpg

All these were taken with the aid of the good old "Midland Runabout" tickets. For those too young to recall (hell I sound like an old fart!) these tickets gave unlimited use for a week over an area covering Gloucester, Derby, Northampton, Stafford, Hereford (I think) and Nottingham. Fantastic value especially if you wanted to extend it by buying an excess fare to Crewe for instance. Anyhoo, in my spotting days one of my favourite locations was Stafford with it's fast through traffic and steady freight flows...ah happy days:cool:

014.jpg

More to follow......