First steps in bodging

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Not everything on Pottendorf is German, there was considerable traffic between Bavaria and Italy,

This kit is an FS wagon type FMA without sentry box, derived from the modification of a wooden box F with vertical sheaths and a new "high rise" roof. We are talking about the famous "domes", now offered without a brakeman’s box, widespread throughout the FS network until the 1980s.
Another indispensable wagon for the keen model builder. NEM 362 hook holders with drawbar are included. Includes 2 pairs of RP 25 Roco wheelsets. Containing DECALS with various numbers for 1950-80s

More information

1705602604132.png

1705602916586.png

WM183

Western Thunderer
That's a very distinctive wagon. I've seen a few like that in some of my German locomotive books, I believe. Lovely build and weathering.

Amanda

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The layout has a few odd coaches that are former trailers for railbuses which were condemned and withdrawn by the DR. Rather than scrap them some were simply used as ordinary coaches on rural services.

One of the most elusive trailers was the VB140 made in HO by Piko and Sachsenmodelle/Tillig, the latter is impossible to find but I have a Piko version.

1708181706922.png

The first bits to be updated will be the wheels.

This is likely to be a long process, please be patient.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The wheels have been replaced with free running RP25, the next task is to carefully dismantle without breaking the 50 year old irreparable plastic. The moulded ‘black’ windows will be replaced though not sure how to do it.

IMG_1491.jpg

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The moulded windows were a hoot to remove, necessitating the use if a very sharp 3mm wood chisel as well as several promises to mend my ways as long as:-

a) The chisel did not penetrate anything
b) The model did not disintegrate

Neither happened but it was a close run thing.

How am I going to replace the windows with complex compound curves, any suggestions?

Tim

IMG_1495a.jpg

Last edited:

timbowales

Western Thunderer
A possibly heretical response but, given the only really obvious curves being the two central end ones, could you not get away by making all pieces of glazing flat?
Just a bodger’s thought
Tim T

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi,

Thankfully the curved glazing popped out undamaged and it is very tough stuff. My first thought is to use some clear glazing, gently heat it and bend it around the original. There is a very expensive kit available, maybe there is a possibility of buying some of the nice details?

I am trying to preserve as much of the donor as possible, despite its advanced age, it was a very accurate body moulding let down by a dreadful mechanism, the trailer (this is the trailer) was a really nice model in the ‘60s

Tim

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
How am I going to replace the windows with complex compound curves, any suggestions?

Nothing to worry about Tim.

Photographs of VB140 Beiwagen show the glazing as flat. Therefore new flush glazing can be cut from either 0.3 or 0.5mm clear acrylic and held in by canopy glue.

Photo copyright as shown from VT 70 / VB 140 | AW Lingen Modellbau Also AW Lingen are another source of detail parts. AW Lingen Modellbau | feine Ätzteile für den Modellbau however I usually order AW Lingen parts through Wagenwerk WAGENWERK - Feine Details und Eisenbahnmodelle

P9227848-1024.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Thank you, all the links have been visited and bookmarked.

My obsession with Beiwagens is due to an image found on a Hungarian forum, of all places.

There are a few more images of diesel shunters being used on branchlines, Click here and scroll down

The work will not result in a rival to Tillig’s perfection but it will be an interesting journey and a unique outcome.

Tim

IMG_0399.jpg

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
For the one or two still awake, the following link is a large gallery of Beiwagens (trailer cars) of the DR, thus proving that the GWR was not the only company towing odd vehicles behind odd railcars.

DR beiwagens

timbowales

Western Thunderer
That link to the DB trailers is wonderful. One picture is almost enough to persuade me to go DR the building being so wonderfully OTT
Tim T
25870106313_cf1db5c121_w.jpg