Edinburgh Princes St in EM

Ian N

Approximately forty years ago I purchased a small paperback contains photos of Edinburgh’s railways. It included a grainy photo with gently flowing p.way and absolutely reeked with atmosphere. At that time, all that would/could have been replicated as a model would have been the visible bit of track from the photo.

A copy of an old (1880's?) 25" OS map of west central Edinburgh purchased in the 90's rekindled interest, and provided details that were indistinguishable in the photo. It also provided an indication of the sort of size required, which wasn’t available. It was clear that if ever to be built in 4mm, there would need to be a degree of compromise.

A house move early in the millenium resulted in a 17ft double garage. 12ft for scenic model, 4-5 foot for the fiddleyard or to bend lines through 90degrees to the fiddleyard, including 1ft for errors... Things were looking up!

Compromise would be required by straightening the station ever so slightly, minor repositioning of a couple of buildings and using a retaining wall that separated the two halves of the station as the scenic edge. There were enough photos on the internet, I naively thought, that would help me create the atmosphere I wanted, but there were still some challenges that would need to be overcome. Rather than create an absolute scale model, this would be an interpretation of the location. This would be03F546F6-3A86-43E8-BF38-1DFD9BA5DCC7.jpeg

Ok, the squint lamp housing is slightly overdone…

I don’t have a layout plan as such, but the OS map covering the area can be found here NLS Maps. The model, at the beginning, covered from the Morrison Street bridge to part way down the trainshed. The then unfinished control panel is below should anyone prefer to use that5FFBECCF-363A-4F65-AE7C-741214DBBE0D.jpeg

So why Princes St. Really it is a modellers dream. Large engines on big and small trains. Tank engines on fast and local services. Four coach trains not uncommon. DMU services in its later days. Nearly all the later motive power is available rtr, as is coaching stock that give a fair representation of the train formations. And as for the charismatic buildings. With one or two exceptions, they’re big! Approximately 120 train movement, excluding light engine or empty stock in a 24 hr period, there’ll be plenty to do!

After a visit from colleagues from the Scottish Region Study Group, a minor issue was noticed. Not really with the layout, but with us. As we get older, we stop growing up, and many of us start growing out. With only 12ft of scenic frontage, you were limited to 5 people in front of the layout. Eventually, like Topsy, the decision was taken to expand the layout and conveniently the Grove Street bridge now acts as the end of the scenery.

The original version had an estimated build of seven years. Since work started, much more valuable information has become available through the internet. There are black holes though, like a side view of the water tank. I have a very distant end view, and a view looking down on it, but no side view. Edinburgh Council planning portal had an application for double glazing for a Morrison St building, including dimensions of a window from which the height of a building was checked, to discover my guesstimate was too high. Fortunately, errors are normally spotted during a models build, although in respect to the buildings on the Morrison St bridge, some partially build structures had to be scrapped and replaced to keep the proportions between buildings correct to photos.
CF1A1636-3C91-4883-AC01-52ADCFC1ECCE.jpeg
This is approximately 7’6” of the original scenic area. The buildings with the Sweetex stair wells had to be rebuilt after discovering they were too high.

8C027B4D-56D1-4F1C-8672-BF07ED4A16A8.jpeg
The building on the west corner of Morrison Street and Gardeners Crescent, showing the side not so obvious from the front of the layout. Apart from being cleaned, and modern shop signs fitted, the external remains relatively unchanged.

A3286421-F1B5-4C31-A7F8-BF210A05CF11.jpeg
Every so often it’s nice to have a small structure. An old Sweetex dispenser covered with Ambis Engineering corrugated sheeting.

39F4B5EF-5922-48D4-8590-D7AC441E1234.jpeg
The train shed screen. This was always going to be the biggest challenge. Eventually built to this stage with seven laminations cut by a Silhouette cutter.
the train shed walls are the Mk2 version, the originals being @ 2cm too high, which made the opening obviously out of proportion.

7EDCC5F9-5666-4166-8338-2F70099DFDD4.jpeg
And finally for this post, some proving models for part of the trainshed roof. Before I develop the roof further, the internal trussing needs to be started

Cheers
Ian

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian, I do like the way the layout is contained in a walled cutting as per the "New member" photos, very nice. I misinterpreted the scale hence my edit!
All the best
Julian

Last edited:

Ian N

Hi guys
thanks for your comments and the welcome

Julian
Not sure if a spell-checker sneaked in unnoticed somewhere, but if I could do this in N gauge I’d be well pleased:) I’ll leave that to those much more skilled in the smaller scales than I am. In the same space you could probably include the associated goods yards and be a fair way towards Dalry Rd shed.
It’s 1:76 scale and shows what a little vision, determination and willingness to wander outside the box can result in. Misguided, I’m told by friends is a suitable word

Michael
I’ve never really been convinced that mass produced pointwork captures the flow of the prototype very well. It’s one of the reasons I changed to EM gauge, somewhat spookily, from N gauge! Dave Frank’s pointwork on Wharfeside 4mm - Wharfeside, a lifetime's project demonstrates “the flow“ perfectly, much better than my own efforts. Some of mine were done while recovering from an operation taking orange hospital grade painkillers. The packet said no driving and no working machinery. Didn’t mention railway modelling! The worse examples were binned before being laid but 15 years later I realise I possibly should have been more ruthless, as there’s a couple of bits that now jar with me, but if they run ok I’m reluctant to introduce any new work.

cheers
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Ian, I've just dug out my July 2019 EM Gauge Newsletter, in which you described the use of the silhouette cutter to construct the station end screen. An interesting article, Cheers

Ian N

Hi Paul

Isn‘t it amazing how time flies, and output doesn’t!

The train shed end was created approx two years before the article appeared in the EMGS newsletter. Despite using di-limonine as a solvent, it has developed a slight “smile” over the last five or so years, probably due to being unsupported over its width and being laminated from the base layer up, rather than out from the centre layer out ( which some will tell you minimises the risk of smiling).

In addition to cutting, the Silhouette is also able to score. I lack Geoff Kent’s skill to score brick or stonework freehand with just a ruler, but use the Silhouette to score the mortar courses, then with stones, use a scraper board cutter to increase the depth of the coarses. Of course, regional differences on how stone was prepared and used in buildings will affect how it is modelled. Some of the previous images show a mixture of different stone types on the same building. Once you get the hang of it it’s quite quick, and an A4 sized wall of a large tenement can easily be completed within a week without getting sick of it. It really scores with intricate brick or stonework and around windows etc.
OK, you’ve still got to do the drawing for the cutter, but by printing it off ( on an inkjet in my case) first you can check for errors, consistency, and how it compares to adjacent buildings before committing a sheet of plastic. Incidentally, be aware that not all styrene sheet is the same. My cutter would cut 15thou quite happily. Later plastic sheet, from the same supplier, appears to be more flexible, and the cutter isn’t able to cut fully through, even with a new blade. A minor setback easily resolved with a new scalpel blade and craft knife, but frustrating. Be aware, an A4 sheet of brickwork will take the Silhouette a couple of hours to score. Minimising the course to only where it’s needed when you draw the building profile reduces the time. Doing the horizontal scribes as a separate “layer” from the verticals also seems to help, especially if you score a layer at a time. Anyway, here’s some images to support the rambling….
3C00D09B-068A-4F1E-90BE-47BE9ED4AB69.jpeg
Firstly, the old Wills large sheets of embossed plastic. The difference in quality between the different styles is, to me, disappointing.

E12C5DCD-BC4D-44C7-B93C-1DB75E4F028E.jpeg
My demo piece for exhibitions showing relatively straightforward brick coursing that the Silhouette is more than capable of scoring

FA614485-3000-459E-839F-6E9A8343FF55.jpeg
The paint factory on Princes St. All brickwork scored, Even if I forgot the lean-to.

0A480509-64A7-48D3-B3AA-2EC119CFB4C6.jpeg
The tapered brewery chimney on the ScRSG Alloa layout. A scribed plastic sheet replacement for a rather tatty paper original that didn’t allow for the taper! You might need to zoom in to see the brick courses.

Because our brains know what brickwork looks like, we tend to accept what is offered as brickwork as brickwork. On modern brick build houses, the mortar coarse is usually less than1cm recessed from the face of the brick. For stone built buildings even less. Embossed/ vacuum formed brickwork in 1:76 scale currently doesn’t achieve that. If it was 20yrs ago and I was just starting the layout, if I had the tools and skills I probably wouldn’t use any of the embossed brickwork sheets currently available.

Cheers
Ian

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Ian which version of Silhouette cutter are you using and what software are you driving it with? I can see that it could be quite useful for card modelwork.

Michael

Ian N

Hi Michael

For 95% of the drawing work, I use Inkscape v0.92. The rest is done with Silhouette Studio v4.1 Both are running on a windows7 desktop, with copies on a Windows7 laptop used when demonstrating. The cutter itself is a Silhouette Cameo3. And requires Silhouette Studio as a cutter driver. The silhouette software has upgraded itself once that I know off. Neither require an internet connection to work. Afraid I don’t know about the current software versions.

My cutter is now 5 years old and still on its second blade, but I use it exclusively with styrene sheet, and not intensively - it’s probably not been used for 6 months. Others have commented that the more fibrous the material being cut, the quicker the blade dulls. At the time I got mine, it came with a basic level of software. I had to purchase an upgrade to have the version that would import Inkscape files. I think that cost @£25. The upgrade came with a whole load of other functionality, none of which had any obvious use to railway modellers. Again, I’m afraid I don’t know the current position

I recommend anyone considering a cutter downloads drawing software first, and have a good play with that to make sure you’re comfortable with it and it does what you want. Otherwise you’re probably wasting your money on a cutter.
Mike Trice has a very good Inkscape tutorial on RMWeb assuming all the graphics are there. Well worth a read.

I used freeware/shareware cad programs to test which software worked for me. Inkscape is still free. At the time, Silhouette Studio basic could be downloaded from their website, without having an cutter. Again, I don’t know if that’s still the case. Some software I just didn’t get on with and discovered Mike’s thread after eliminating at least one. Undoubtedly, other cutter manufacturers will use their own software as a driver.

Cheers
Ian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I looked at the top of the page to see if it was 0 or 00. Hell's bells' ~ it's N gauge! Well impressed. I can see now why it is referred to as a plank...:cool:

KitPW

The trackwork is particularly impressive in N gauge. I've tried scoring bricks (onto paper, not plastikard) using the Silhouette but it didn't work very well: seeing your example above makes me think it's time to try again, maybe using shellac'd paper - obviously, it can be done!

Ian N

I looked at the top of the page to see if it was 0 or 00. Hell's bells' ~ it's N gauge! Well impressed. I can see now why it is referred to as a plank...:cool:
Hi Larry / anybody

I’m still not familiar with the way WT works, but checking my posts both logged in and a guest viewer, I’m not able to see any reference to N gauge. Happy to include EM in the thread title if anyone can tell me how to edit it please? Or is the first letter of my surname to make up the five character username the cause?

Hopefully, you‘re still impressed knowing it’s twice the size you thought:)

Cheers
Ian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I'm avoiding the PC as much as possible at the moment and so I tend to scan words on screen, not helped by dyslexia. It picked out N gauge but having re-read it, I can see the full context of the sentence. So EM it is. Still impressive!

Ian N

The trackwork is particularly impressive in N gauge. I've tried scoring bricks (onto paper, not plastikard) using the Silhouette but it didn't work very well: seeing your example above makes me think it's time to try again, maybe using shellac'd paper - obviously, it can be done!
Hi. Don’t forget my work is 4mm.
Generally for walls I work with 20thou plastic, or 15 thou if I run out. The brewery chimney on Alloa used 10thou to get it to bend sufficiently without inducing stress lines/ tears. For the thinner material I reduced the depth of cut/score and the force as much as possible to minimise the blade penetrating through the plastic. That might work with shellac‘d paper. With my cutter, trying to get large areas of parallel lines 0.5 mm apart ( an N gauge brick course) is possibly pushing it beyond its limit. I haven’t tried.

Good luck, and I hope you’ll share your progress.

Ian

Ian N

Hi Ian

You need a better title, I almost ignored this tread, thinking not another boring shunting plank !

Clearly it isn't it is a lovely model I'm sure a lot more people would stop and look with a better title.

Richard
Thanks Richard

Just found out how to edit the title. I’ll remove reference to the plank completely next week

Cheers
Ian

KitPW

Hi. Don’t forget my work is 4mm.
Hi Ian. Yup! Got that wrong (N)...the trackwork still looks superb at 4mm/ft and plenty of it to admire as well! Thanks for the notes on scoring using the Silhouette: if I hadn't spent the morning trying to get my old A1 plotter to plot (it doesn't like cold conditions), I'd have set up some more tests in the Silhouette by now - maybe later and if I make any progress I'll report back.
Kit PW

Ian N

Hi Ian. Yup! Got that wrong (N)...the trackwork still looks superb at 4mm/ft and plenty of it to admire as well! Thanks for the notes on scoring using the Silhouette: if I hadn't spent the morning trying to get my old A1 plotter to plot (it doesn't like cold conditions), I'd have set up some more tests in the Silhouette by now - maybe later and if I make any progress I'll report back.
Kit PW
Thanks
One thing I did was prepare something for the cutter to scribe, say a 2” square of brickwork. Replicate this as many times as posible leaving a 1/2” gap around each one. Then make each copy a unique colour. When you send it to the cutter, only scribe a single colour at a time recording the settings After you’ve repeated this for all colours, changing and recording the settings for each, assess which you feel is best

Cheers
Ian