David Andrews Rebuilt WC/BB

Kev T

Western Thunderer
I'm in the midst of a fairly straightforward build, a few issues but not too many. The problem I have at the moment is that the ashpan area doesn't look right, compared to the photos I have. My photos don't clearly show this area, so, has anyone got a good photo of this area please.

Kev

Kev T

Western Thunderer
Hi chris
thanks for the info but I believe the Finney7 is the original version. I've edited the heading.
Having said that you may be onto something as I doubt that the ashpan area was different.
Kev

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
The ash pan on the rebuilds was quite different to the original version. That's not to say some un-rebuilt locos might have acquired the later type pan late in life.
Here are two photos of rebuild ash pans, B&W at Barry (34010 or 34039, I think) and a set off the loco at a preserved railway (can't remember where).
Rebuilt_WC_Ashpans.jpg
Dave.

Kev T

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave. That top shot will give me something to dimension from. My build is definitely off. Either white metal is coming off, or I may try to do a Mickoo and see if I can draw and print a new one in Fusion 360.
Kev

mickoo

Western Thunderer
As far as I know there are only two types of ashpan, SR and BR.

I'm not sure (the books of words will no doubt know but I'm tight for time to dig them all out) which came first, BR ash pans on originals and then on the rebuilds when they came along; or, rebuilds which introduced BR ash pans that were then backward fitted to un-rebuilt engines.

Rebuilds only have BR ashpans, originals can have either so check your prototype when modeling.

The Finney7 kit caters for both types.

Not much changed at the rear end on the rebuilt engines, cab, frames, firebox etc, but there may be small detail differences on the ash pan between the two types, I've had a quick look and can't see anything smackingly obvious.

IMG_0506a.JPGIMG_7329.jpgIMG_7330.jpgIMG_7331.jpgIMG_7332.jpgIMG_7334.jpgIMG_7338.jpgIMG_7340.jpgIMG_7341.jpgIMG_7342.jpgIMG_7344.jpg