Prototype Dave Holt's more recent photos

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Having run out of B&W photos (unless they come to light), I thought I'd present a few of my more recent efforts. I don't pretend to be a proper photographer and my photos are just snap shots. Nevertheless, I hope that they may be of some interest.
I'll start with my favourite loco of the preservation era - Lynton and Barnstaple replica 2-6-2 manning Wardle, Lyd - built at and normally run on the Ffestiniog Railway.
Here we are on the evening before Lyd's naming ceremony and official inauguration. The loco has been brought up to Dinas, on the Welsh Highland Railway and is in the goods shed overnight. On checking round, it was found that one of the axlebox lubricator pots had lost no oil and frantic efforts are being made to identify and rectify the fault so the loco could operate on it's big day.
IMG_0214.JPG
James Evans (project initiator), squatting and Paul Lewin (FR General Manager), laying down, work (successfully) to solve the problem - a blockage in the hose connection from oil pot to axlebox.
The loco had been out-shopped in plain black livery in case any modifications or major repairs were required during initial service.

Having settled down, the loco was lined out as an imaginary BR post nationalisation example in standard lined black with Southern Region BR number. Here, it is seen at the coaling stage at Porthmadog FR station.
IMG_0481.JPG
Eventually, after conversion from it's origin oil firing to coal, Lyd was repainted into the Southern green livery carried by the locos in original service. This shot was taken during one of the locos visits to the resurgent L&B railway's gala events. Woody Bay Station, I think.
IMG_1266.JPG

Dave.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
To my eyes it looked just right in BR lined black livery but I would say that. It's what I grew up with. :)

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Continuing the Welsh narrow gauge theme, I was lucky enough to have a full line cab ride from Caernarfon to Porthmadog on the Welsh Highland Railway, aboard Garratt No.143. This was courtesy of a friend who had been awarded a cab ride as a result of being a Gold subscriber to the project. It was supposed to be a one way trip but the Railway thought it had messed him around with organising the event so increased it to a full round trip. He took the north bound ride and kindly allowed me the south bound. He had a rather more exciting trip than me because the train stalled in the long Aberglaslyn tunnel and had to set back out to have a better run at it. By contrast, my ride was quite routine and uneventful, but great fun nevertheless.
Here I am, looking rather pleased with myself, prior to departure from Caernarfon. The loco is in the loop, having just taken water.
IMG_1272.JPG

Ready to depart.
IMG_1273.JPG

The driver takes refreshment on the move.
IMG_1274.JPG

Teamwork at Rhyd Ddu, as water is taken.
IMG_1278.JPG

In fact, the whole journey was marked by teamwork between the crew. During firing, the driver opens and closes the firehole doors between every shovelful so as to minimise admitting cold air into the firebox, whilst the fireman just swings the shovel. I say fireman because that's the accepted designation but on that journey, I would have called him a waterman. Firing was relatively infrequent but the injector was on and off every few moments and water level was very much the fireman's preoccupation.
Finally, we arrive at Porthmadog and ease on to Britannia Bridge after pausing to activate the level crossing lights using a key on the end of the token.
IMG_1283.JPG
As you can see, the weather was beautiful all day, which definitely added to the enjoyment of the occasion. Many thanks to my friend for kindly letting me take half his reward (we also had a free ride in the Pulman observation coach on a later date) and to the Ff&WHR and the crew for facilitating the trip.
Dave.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Very nice Dave you lucky person. I wonder why Portmadoc allows the construction of ugly white buildings?