Dapol 2011

Alan

Western Thunderer
Wow. Wil they get the peak right. Personally I (like Tim Shackleton) don't mind the Heljan version. I'll duck now.

Neil

Western Thunderer
Interesting news, anyone else notice the n gauge Hall. Unlike Alan I'm not a fan of the Heljan Western, it looks too Norman Wisdom, not enough Officer Mackay to my eyes. I have an idea that there are some shapes that are easy to capture well and some that are an absolute bugger. Most Hymeks seem to get the shape and character right, even the old Triang OO and big big versions scrub up well, while rtr Westerns disappoint.

Alan

Western Thunderer
I have wondered about the peak on the Western and agree with Neil that the shape may be difficult to capture. Also is it a shape that in real life we generally see from below whilst on a model we see from above, and therefore any very small mistake seems magnified. To those who say it doesn't look like a Western (the heljan version) I wonder what it does look like. to me it looks like I remember them.

D1054

Western Thunderer
I see from that JLTRT website that this alleged "cooperation" with Dapol appears to be being denied.  :(

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Disassociating themselves with the project in case Dapol don't do a very good job of it?

I've also heard that the NQLTRT Western is a bit out in the cab department (not sure where, it looks OK to me), maybe they don't want the more fastidious of the 4mm D&E fraternity to pick up on and publicise it?

28ten

Guv'nor
Pugsley said:
Disassociating themselves with the project in case Dapol don't do a very good job of it?

I've also heard that the NQLTRT Western is a bit out in the cab department (not sure where, it looks OK to me), maybe they don't want the more fastidious of the 4mm D&E fraternity to pick up on and publicise it?
The window frames are certainly a bit chunky, but other than that it looks ok to me.

Alan

Western Thunderer
I notice that in the Dapol catologue that came with this months BRM there is NO mention of a Western in either N or 00 gauge.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Westerns still on the website but the reference to JLTRT cad gubbins has been removed.........strange  :scratch: . I do wish Dapol would discover 7mm as they seem to bring out some really interesting products in other scales  8) 8) 8)

Phill :wave:

D1054

Western Thunderer
Hmm... just re-read what JLTRT posted and it doesn't say they aren't working with Dapol........ just that they didn't authorise use of their name, maybe?

I tend to agree with you, Phill. Some of Dapol's stuff is really nice and they're clearly doing their homework before releasing any new products to market..... look forward to seeing what transpires!

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
D1054 said:
Hmm... just re-read what JLTRT posted and it doesn't say they aren't working with Dapol........ just that they didn't authorise use of their name, maybe?
Having read the statement on the website, I think your interpretation is correct, they haven't authorised Dapol to publicise the fact that they're working together.