Daifly's Workbench - A First 7mm Loco Build.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Following along the lines of Steph's methodology, I have completed the brake gear. As a slight variation, I fixed the spacers etc to the stubs at the top of the hangers. I'm very happy with the result. Many thanks, Steph.

Dave,

I'm glad that worked! Just a thunk - the reason I fit the spacers and rod to the chassis rather than the brake hangers is because it makes it eay to get the brakegear on and off the completed loco without marking the paint...

Steph

daifly

Western Thunderer
On reflection, if the tops of the hangers are sufficiently hidden behind the valance - and from photographs that appears to be the case, I think that I'll modify the fitting closer to Steph's description. This would avoid the potential for scratching the chassis sides by the 'pegs' after painting by making the pegs part of the chassis and springing the tops of the hangers onto the ends of the top wires.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Why does the brake pull rod have a downward set to clear "something" associated with the rear driving wheel.... and no corresponding set for the front driving wheel?

regards, Graham

daifly

Western Thunderer
Why does the brake pull rod have a downward set to clear "something" associated with the rear driving wheel.... and no corresponding set for the front driving wheel?

regards, Graham
I have no idea. The same thoughts occurred to me whilst assembling it. Perhaps some other knowledgeable person can help us. I'll see what I can find out too.
I have now modified the brake gear attachment as Steph originally prescribed.
Note to self - don't reinvent the b****y wheel!

Simon

Flying Squad
Note to self - don't reinvent the b****y wheel!
Oh but it's such fun - especially when they come out round:p
Smart work there, I'd better get back out to the shed!
Simon

daifly

Western Thunderer
A brief update to report that there's been no further progress on this project.

I decided to sort out the railway room to make space for a layout and so successful was this that Mrs D decided that since I was in 'home improver mode' I could do some decorating. I also uncovered a couple of unfinished wagons which are now just about complete and ready for spraying. With all of this, and working away from home rather a lot over the last couple of months, the 2-4-0 has sat patiently waiting for further attention which it will receive sometime in January.

Meanwhile the layout doodling continues.........

Seasons Greetings to all.

Dave

queensquare

Western Thunderer
Look forward to more progress, Mrs Queensquare is very fond of these small locos and I fancy something from the Agenoria range for our dabbling in 7mm.

Jerry